Gen. Pace says gay sex is "immoral"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  06:41:48  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another bigoted fundie bastard disgracefully shoots his mouth off (with his foot still in it) about matters that aren't his concern, but this time it's America's top military officer:
"Are there wonderful Americans who happen to be homosexual serving in the military? Yes," he told the Senate Appropriations Committee during a hearing Wednesday focused on the Pentagon's 2008 war spending request.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates, left, and Gen. Peter
Pace wait to take their seats Wednesday on Capitol Hill.

"We need to be very precise then, about what I said wearing my stars and being very conscious of it," he added. "And that is, very simply, that we should respect those who want to serve the nation but not through the law of the land, condone activity that, in my upbringing, is counter to God's law."

Anti-war protesters sitting behind Pace jeered the four-star general's remarks with some shouting, "Bigot!" That led Committee Chairman Sen. Robert Byrd, D- West Virginia., to adjourn the hearing abruptly and seal off the doors.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 09/27/2007 06:43:24

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  06:59:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This isn't just insulting to gays. It is insulting to anyone with a different sense of morality on the sex-before-marriage issue and anyone who believes in a different god/s or no god. Pace is basically saying that the military should only and explicitly pay respect to a certain worldview on the issue of sex (the conservative Judeo-Christian one). What kills me is that more than once he's quoted as qualifying his remarks with "that in my upbringing", which drives home the point that his view is both narrow and personal. What a self-righteous asshole.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 09/27/2007 07:00:21
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  08:09:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, and I'm sure he can separate his bigot personal views from his work.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  12:18:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This quote is interesting:

"And that is, very simply, that we should respect those who want to serve the nation but not through the law of the land, condone activity that, in my upbringing, is counter to God's law."

He starts the sentence referring to serving the nation and the what is the law of the land and ends it referring to his personal upbringing and "god's law" (whatever that is). He's literally saying the law of the land ought to be based on his upbringing and his flavor of "god's law." Thank god (and the Founders) it's not based on his or anyone else's.

Short answer: He ought not to talk publicly in uniform about stuff like that. It's very strictly not his role.
Longer answer: the law of the land should never ever be based on anyone's personal upbringing or idea of what "god's law" is. People fight bloody brutal wars and fly airplanes into buildings to support stupid shit like that. What an idiot.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  13:48:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gee, I think the death of untold thousands of innocent Iraquis is immoral. But I am sure the general would disagree with me, since he is a god fearing man, and I am just a heathen.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds.