A Catholic bishop goes cuckoo
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  06:27:18  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This one's strange. A bishop in New Mexico is being visited by little people who are invisible to responding police. Of course, when you begin with a guy who talks to invisible people in the sky everyday, this shouldn't be much of a stretch:
An incident report from the McKinley Metropolitan Dispatch Authority reported that Pelotte told operators "...gentle little people, about 3 to 4 feet tall, and wearing Halloween masks" were in the hall. The dispatch log reported that Pelotte said he hid in a closet while the people were in his home.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  07:19:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He must have eaten the Brown Wafer.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  07:24:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yikes! Either he's gone 'way 'round the bend as a result of his accident or he's trying to score some legal, psychotropic drugs. Whatever, the poor bastard needs help and I don't think he'll get a hell of a lot with prayer.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  10:06:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"...gentle little people, about 3 to 4 feet tall, and wearing Halloween masks"

Um, children?

Honestly, this sounds like someone suffering from some sort of neurological disorder, nothing more.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 10/01/2007 10:08:37
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  10:08:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ricky

"...gentle little people, about 3 to 4 feet tall, and wearing Halloween masks"

Um, children?

I try to hide from them, too.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  10:24:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dementia. He's recalling trick-or-treaters from ages past. Sucks to lose your mind.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  18:49:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sympathetic about the poor guy's mental state. At the same time, I do think it's funny, especially the hiding in the closet part. It should also be funny to see the Church scrambling to handle this situation.

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  10:01:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

I'm sympathetic about the poor guy's mental state. At the same time, I do think it's funny, especially the hiding in the closet part. It should also be funny to see the Church scrambling to handle this situation.
This is odd. Metaphorically I think many priests spend their lives 'hiding in the closet.' And to be hiding there from little people sounding a lot like children . . . . <sigh>. Could this be some wierd Freudian thing or perhaps even a hoax?

Regarding the Church scramble to handle, I'm not sure what they are scrambling for. Afterall, old priests get dementia just like other old people. Just put the guy in whatever safe place old looney priests go until they die. It's not a poor reflection on the Church, IMO.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  10:11:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by chaloobi

This is odd. Metaphorically I think many priests spend their lives 'hiding in the closet.' And to be hiding there from little people sounding a lot like children . . . . <sigh>. Could this be some wierd Freudian thing or perhaps even a hoax?

Regarding the Church scramble to handle, I'm not sure what they are scrambling for. Afterall, old priests get dementia just like other old people. Just put the guy in whatever safe place old looney priests go until they die. It's not a poor reflection on the Church, IMO.
No, I could go as loony as that poor guy, any day now. What could reflect badly on the Church would be to either let this guy continue with his duties as a bishop, or to cart him off hide him in some monastery somewhere. The best they could do would be to relieve him of his duties at once, give him medical help, and surround him with whatever family and friends he has.

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  10:18:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote

No, I could go as loony as that poor guy, any day now. What could reflect badly on the Church would be to either let this guy continue with his duties as a bishop, or to cart him off hide him in some monastery somewhere. The best they could do would be to relieve him of his duties at once, give him medical help, and surround him with whatever family and friends he has.
Nah. I like the 'hide him in the monestary' solution. That's how the US traditionally handles it's old people - put them in a depository, out of sight / out of mind, until they die.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  10:30:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nah. I like the 'hide him in the monestary' solution. That's how the US traditionally handles it's old people - put them in a depository, out of sight / out of mind, until they die.
Just put me in a convent, and I'll be happy as a clam.

Go to Top of Page

Zebra
Skeptic Friend

USA
354 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  19:34:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Zebra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If he'd had a head injury, he could be having hallucinations or delusions related to that. And/or, if he has visual loss he could have Charles Bonnet Syndrome (which Bonnet described as occurring in mentally healthy people, but which may be an early sign of dementia in more recent case reports).
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  22:22:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dang, that would seem to fit, assuming the bishop has visual problems. Interesting syndrome!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  02:34:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Just put me in a convent, and I'll be happy as a clam.

Umm, if what I've read about nuns & convents is true, that might not come to be the case. You might be happier in a penguin colony -- same view, less restrictive rules, better dispositions.

I quite agree that he should be quietly retired, and assignments to out-of-the-way monestaries was one way the Church used to do it.

Y'know, it's a little sad that as soon as "gentle, little people" are mentioned, the first thought that comes to mind concerns pedophilia, a problem that, as far as I can tell, the Church has yet to deal with in any sort of meaningful way beyone making cash payouts. And this is not exclusive to the Catholics.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.