Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  17:29:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Boron10
As an aside, HalfMooner, I think it is "even funny on top of it all."

You would.

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

The fact that humans do science is what causes errors in science. -Dave W.-

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  18:13:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Bill scott

Flash: You have toooo much free time on your hands. Get a job and make yourself usefull to society rather then waste your time on these stupid photoshops that you offer, which ain't even funny on top of it all. What are you about twelve years old?

Thanks again. Is your point that this is the only thought you have, and that you think repetition works better than reason?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  19:07:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Flash: You have toooo much free time on your hands. Get a job and make yourself usefull to society rather then waste your time on these stupid photoshops that you offer, which ain't even funny on top of it all. What are you about twelve years old?

Warning Official Warning Warning

After it was explained to you by Mooner himself how it happens that he has the time to make us laugh, I consider this second, identical to your first posting, so far over the top of anything even approaching a civil discourse, (as if your first post in this thread wasn't a personal attack enough) I am issuing a warning to you Bill Scott.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  00:16:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too, am cursed with excessive time, barely sufficent cash, and no way to improve the situation. But I like to think that, like Halfmooner and most of our active memebers, I add a little something of benefit to others here & elsewhere, now & again. A pity we all ain't funnier, eh?

But my gawd, 'mooner, that's an ugly picture! Almost spoiled my supper, it did.... Pretty good likeness, though.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 10/06/2007 00:17:59
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  00:37:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

But my gawd, 'mooner, that's an ugly picture! Almost spoiled my supper, it did.... Pretty good likeness, though.

I'm really almost sorry I patched that thing together. It's almost like a cancer in the mind.

Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  00:45:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

After it was explained to you by Mooner himself how it happens that he has the time to make us laugh, I consider this second, identical to your first posting, so far over the top of anything even approaching a civil discourse, (as if your first post in this thread wasn't a personal attack enough) I am issuing a warning to you Bill Scott.

At the request of moakley I was trying to remove the picture from my post. I think I must have hit reply rather then edit and I did not know how to remove the reply wants it was up.

As far as the thread goes, while I do think HM has way to much idle time on his hands that is not what irks me. As far as the childish mocking of the dead, seriously, most twelve year olds I know have a higher maturity level then what was displayed. I did not mock and/or rejoice when Nova boy meet his fate. A fate I may remind you that is shared by us all, death. No matter how much we disagree we are all human and will be subject to death's door, if not today then tomorrow. So why mock those who have went before us, as if we will never be there ourselves?

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  00:55:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It pisses me off. Why go ad hom...

Yet you particapate in this thread and let me help you, it pisses you off because it is "ad hom" of somebody you agree with and/or like. No?

Edited by - Bill scott on 10/06/2007 00:59:51
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  01:31:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bill wrote:
At the request of moakley I was trying to remove the picture from my post. I think I must have hit reply rather then edit and I did not know how to remove the reply wants it was up.
Yeah, I've made that kind of error when revising a post, too. No problem, nor need for an apology -- an explanation suffices. I'm not just giving you the benefit of the doubt: I'm sure you are being straight about this. It explains the baffling exact repetition of the same words. (Occam's Razor in action.)
As far as the thread goes, while I do think HM has way to much idle time on his hands that is not what irks me. As far as the childish mocking of the dead, seriously, most twelve year olds I know have a higher maturity level then what was displayed. I did not mock and/or rejoice when Nova boy meet his fate. A fate I may remind you that is shared by us all, death. No matter how much we disagree we are all human and will be subject to death's door, if not today then tomorrow. So why mock those who have went before us, as if we will never be there ourselves?
See, the thing is, Bill those of us with skeptical minds are far less likely to get greatly offended in this manner. I could cite you examples where I've mocked famous skeptics, both living and recently deceased. Nobody bitched about it, either, not even when I portrayed Kurt Vonnegut in Hell.

I really don't expect myself ever to be in Hell, Bill. There ain't no Hell, and no Heaven, either, and there's not the slightest evidence to contradict me.

Holding delusions of an afterlife makes people live worse lives in their very limited time on earth, I feel. It makes them behave selfishly, and abusively. It can even make them fail to enjoy a laugh now and then. Our one and only shot at a good life is wasted by the enormity of concern with an eternity of pleasure or pain. This can make people mean, nasty, and bitter.

I used Hell as a literary device, and a bit more. There is a common human longing for something akin to "divine justice." I'm prone to this myself. That's why positing Jerry Falwell as suffering forever for his hateful, bigoted, and selfish life gave me a small amount pleasure.

If it gives you pleasure to think of Carl Sagan as suffering forever in Hell, then don't just hint about it, let it out! Few of us are going to be offended by your personal delusions, anyway. Carl sure doesn't mind.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 10/06/2007 02:35:20
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  02:06:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It pisses me off. Why go ad hom...

Yet you particapate in this thread and let me help you, it pisses you off because it is "ad hom" of somebody you agree with and/or like. No?
No. Halfmooner can take care of himself. It pissed me off because it was entirely unnessary and uncalled for. You, indulged in an attack that was as fully childish as what you accuse him of. The OP had nothing to do with you. You were in no way insulted beyond what you chose to take upon yourself, and this isn't the first time I've taken a hand in such. That includes coming in on the side of people I strongly, even profanely, disagreed with. Under similiar circumstances, I'd go after someone abusing you.

Bill, you have caught a lot of flack in here and I never said a word about it because you have acted as an attraction for it. Now, for the first time, I'm tossing some at you: Get your head out of your narrow ass and behave in some sort of civilized manner. Out-of-the-blue and irrevelent attacks are something for the shithead forums and have no place in here. If you can't argue like a reasonable adult, then fuck off!

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  08:21:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that I've had a little time to cool off.....

What should one do if he/she reads a post that, while not pointed in any particular direction, one finds highly offensive?

I can tell you what one shouldn't do, ever, and that is mount a personal attack upon it's author. If it had been me, I'd've torn that OP down to it's basic pixels; shredded it like Fawn Hall in her glory days. With reference! That, done just right, can be much more devastating than merely bleating ad hom. Whilst doing it, I might throw in a snide comment or two concerning the authors inspiration and writing skills, possible blood-alcohol level, inquire if he/she was home schooled, and offer advice as to how much attention to pay to disembodied voices. The hoary, old, "Get yer freakin' meds updated, idjit!" remains a good one as well.

Y'see, while these are insults, they are not meant to be taken seriously; they are more like give & take. Indeed, they are fun to bandy about from both ends (Sorry, Rat) of the argument.

Here's a way to judge whether the reply to an offensive post is at least borderline appropriate: Write it, then imagine yourself sitting at the bar in The Bucket of Blood and saying it to your next-stool neighbors face. Will you then hit 'Post' or not?

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  08:34:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No matter how much we disagree we are all human and will be subject to death's door, if not today then tomorrow. So why mock those who have went before us, as if we will never be there ourselves?

So we should never mock the dead? Why are the dead given a free pass?

My apologies to Hitler.[/sarcasm]

Fuck Falwell, that (former) fat, bloated sack of protoplasmic hatred and delusion, sucking at the phallus of money and greed, preying on the fears of the gullible.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  10:04:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Kil

Black humor and satire has always had its place. Bill while you are busy calling what Mooner did childish, you should consider a couple of things.

Falwell was certain he would wind up in heaven. That is if he actually believed such a place exists. He was a swindler and power monger. Just ask Tammy Fay. Oh wait, you can't, she is dead too. We learned from her that he was not averse to turning on his own to gain even more power. Kick them when there down I guess. One has to wonder what Falwell really believed, to go on doing the things he did, if staying out of hell was really on his mind.

Anyhoo, this becomes the stuff of satire and black humor. It's a natural. The deliciously supposed irony is that after all of Falwell's preaching and his other activities, not even the devil wants him. But he has to take him. It's a funny premise and quite sophisticated. It's a premise that is well beyond the abilities of most twelve year olds, I suspect.

And while all of that may be lost on you, and you are free to criticize the content that you probably don't even understand, attacking the author, in such a childish way, makes you look ridiculous. Especially while calling him childish. If you're going to call someone childish, perhaps you should present your criticisms in an adult way rather than resorting to clichés and non-sequiturs.

Why even look at Mooners stuff? You know you hate it, so why do it?

I am going to rescind my warning, even though I think y

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  18:46:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A fair decision, Kil.

Another point: It's not as though I wasn't trying to be provocative in the OP. My main objection to Bill's "attack" was simply that it was a boringly near-perfect replication of one from several months back, complete with "too much time on your hands," and "childish." It's just annoying to see that he'd forgotten my previous reply, and that I had to repeat it.

I never felt offended or threatened in any manner by his words. Bill is very good at highlighting the flaws in the debate tactics of fundies, by means of example. He didn't fail this time. He can be relied upon to give an unintended net boost to anyone or anything he attacks. We learn to exploit this law of nature. It's as easy as shooting fish in a barrel.

If you haven't been Bill's target here, you're not trying hard enough.

Edited to add: Besides, this is all the_ignored's fault, that viscious bastard agent provacateur.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 10/06/2007 20:01:29
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  08:04:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

You would.
After waiting for a couple days, I am still not sure what Bill scott is trying to say by this.

Do you think he's attempting to paint me with the same brush as he's painted HalfMooner? Perhaps he's trying to imply that I'm not "usefull [sic] to society" and am "about twelve years old?"

Any suggestions?

For what it's worth, I appreciate any comparison to HalfMooner, since he has a gift for humorous writing that far exceeds mine.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  09:57:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

You would.
After waiting for a couple days, I am still not sure what Bill scott is trying to say by this.

Do you think he's attempting to paint me with the same brush as he's painted HalfMooner? Perhaps he's trying to imply that I'm not "usefull [sic] to society" and am "about twelve years old?"

Any suggestions?

For what it's worth, I appreciate any comparison to HalfMooner, since he has a gift for humorous writing that far exceeds mine.
Thank you, Boron10.

(Are we having a "Sparticus moment"?)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds.