Rep. Davis - God healed her
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2007 :  17:31:52  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rep. Jo Ann Davis,

57, the first elected Republican woman in Congress from Virginia, died at her home in Gloucester County yesterday after a two-year battle with breast cancer.

Mrs. Davis, a born-again Christian, had been receiving some type of treatment for 11 months, her husband said.

"Jo Ann decided to stop treatment. . . . She just said God had told her she was going to be treated, and to stop treatment."

"She sincerely believed that God was going to heal her. He did heal her. Maybe not in our world, but he healed her in his."

I don't know what hope she had, but I hope she really didn't give up because God said so.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 10/07/2007 17:33:06

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2007 :  17:35:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"All of the intelligence we were given says we should be over there," she told The Associated Press. "If I had known that the intelligence they gave us wasn't correct, I don't know how I would have voted."

A priceless quote.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2007 :  17:55:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Gorgo

Rep. Jo Ann Davis,

57, the first elected Republican woman in Congress from Virginia, died at her home in Gloucester County yesterday after a two-year battle with breast cancer.

Mrs. Davis, a born-again Christian, had been receiving some type of treatment for 11 months, her husband said.

"Jo Ann decided to stop treatment. . . . She just said God had told her she was going to be treated, and to stop treatment."

"She sincerely believed that God was going to heal her. He did heal her. Maybe not in our world, but he healed her in his."

I don't know what hope she had, but I hope she really didn't give up because God said so.
An overdose of religion claims another one. Beyond that, words fail me.
"All of the intelligence we were given says we should be over there," she told The Associated Press. "If I had known that the intelligence they gave us wasn't correct, I don't know how I would have voted."
This is nothing but cheap, political crawfishing. How many times have you heard one say something that they believed in but would get the party faithful's knickers in a twist? From either party?

"And therein lies the rub," as the Bard sez. All of our leaders(?) have strong convictions, but seldom the courage of them except when they agree with those who either have the most power or are likely to gain it.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2007 :  07:02:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message  Reply with Quote

That's just great.

"God said she would be fine if she stopped treatment."
"Well, she died, didn't she?"
"Yea, but she'e fine - she's in heaven"

If she lives God is great, if she dies God is great. I suppose if she spontaneously burst into flames that would somehow prove that God so loved the world....

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2007 :  08:05:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reminds me of an episode of Mr. Deity where Jesus is surprised that Mr. Deity doesn't answer prayers.

Mr. Deity: "There's just no incentive. Look, if people pray to me and things go well, who gets the credit? Me! But if they pray to me and things don't go well, who gets the blame? Not me! So its all good. I'm gonna mess with that?"

A classic. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaZDcS-rMf4)

"If you're not terrified, you're not paying attention." Eric Alterman
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2007 :  08:20:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Gorgo

Rep. Jo Ann Davis,

Why not? God allowed her to have the cancer. God could cure her if He wanted. Now she's with God, in paradise, apparently by His choice. I don't know why Christians worry about death so much. Sure, if you have responsibilities like raising children and so on, that's one thing. But after that, medicine only keeps you from God.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2007 :  08:52:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know why Christians worry about death so much. Sure, if you have responsibilities like raising children and so on, that's one thing. But after that, medicine only keeps you from God.

Good point. Maybe we'd do better to 'respect' their religion and hope they all go to heaven quickly.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2007 :  11:14:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I wouldn't go that far. Most of my friends and family are christian and I'd never wish them an early death (they need time to repent, afterall ;) ). And maybe that's the key to understanding this paradox - an untimely death might mean hell for eternity. Or maybe shunning medicine is tantamount to suicide, which again means eternity in hell.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2007 :  13:09:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by chaloobi

Well, I wouldn't go that far. Most of my friends and family are christian and I'd never wish them an early death (they need time to repent, afterall ;) ). And maybe that's the key to understanding this paradox - an untimely death might mean hell for eternity. Or maybe shunning medicine is tantamount to suicide, which again means eternity in hell.

Being born seems mighty unfair too. If we were never born, then we would never get a chance to screw up and go to hell. Our souls (which are eternal, right?) would be clean and we could stay in heaven for eternity.

So why are we born in the first place? If God so truly loved the world, he would just wrap in a huge jimmy hat.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

SamoanEagle

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2007 :  16:18:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send SamoanEagle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by pleco

Being born seems mighty unfair too. If we were never born, then we would never get a chance to screw up and go to hell. Our souls (which are eternal, right?) would be clean and we could stay in heaven for eternity.

So why are we born in the first place? If God so truly loved the world, he would just wrap in a huge jimmy hat.

You're forgetting original sin. Apparently, we're all sinners before we're born...
We need to be brought into the world so we can learn about Jebus and be saved from hell.
Obviously.
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  05:00:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... What is the official myth regarding pre-birth existance? Eternal certainly implies all time, both before and after birth. But Adam and Eve didn't exist pre-creation so how can they be eternal? And if we are eternal and our sin is derived from them by decent, how can we be sinners before we're born? Before they were even created? Gee, this doesn't make any sense.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

SamoanEagle

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  07:22:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send SamoanEagle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by chaloobi

Hmmm... What is the official myth regarding pre-birth existance? Eternal certainly implies all time, both before and after birth. But Adam and Eve didn't exist pre-creation so how can they be eternal? And if we are eternal and our sin is derived from them by decent, how can we be sinners before we're born? Before they were even created? Gee, this doesn't make any sense.

Surely you're not expecting any of this to make sense?
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  21:35:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't call me Shirley.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.