Religion
 Militant Atheism and God
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Roddy

Panama
48 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  17:33:55  Show Profile  Visit Roddy's Homepage Send Roddy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is an article on Forbes magazine and atheism:

article

The arguments against atheism presented by the writer are nothing new:

(1) Religion makes me feel good. Therefore God exists

(2) Atheists are dangerous. Therefore God exists.

The most offensive thing about this article stems from the fact that it calls the new wave of atheism: militant, which implies that atheists are planting bombs and attacking religious people with violence. Outspoken is the right word, but the writer seems unable to distinguish between the two.

Edited to Fix overly long link.

Kil

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  17:38:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"If ever God is banished from the world so that even His image is eradicated from the human mind, we will cease to be human and become merely very clever animals--and our ultimate fate will be too horrible to contemplate."

Again, proof that the author doesn't think much of himself, and finds it necessary to create a fantasy world. What, oh what, if we were "merely" clever animals. What a terrible thing reality is to these people.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Roddy

Panama
48 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  18:30:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Roddy's Homepage Send Roddy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds a lot like the typical "nonsense argument" to me. For starters, we are already clever animals. We are mammals, we reproduce through sex, and we take a shit like any other creature. What am I missing? Animals don't crash planes against buildings in the name of their animal God.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  18:53:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul Johnson is a conservative Catholic writer, a product of the Jesuit mindwashing machine. When he uses "militant atheist," he knows exactly what he's doing: Giving a deceptive spin that invites one to compare with Communists and terrorists. He's just another fancy liar and apologist, cast from the mold of thousands of Jesuits and their educational products.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 10/08/2007 18:53:55
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  23:41:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe he knows what he's doing, but do you think he knows that he knows?

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  23:53:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I only suspect, but he knows.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2007 :  00:33:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We've got this "get into shape" message being touted in New Zealand at the moment. We get these ads with overweight people jumping on trampolines, walking up stairs etc. Damn these militant sports freaks!

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2007 :  00:46:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hawks

We've got this "get into shape" message being touted in New Zealand at the moment. We get these ads with overweight people jumping on trampolines, walking up stairs etc. Damn these militant sports freaks!

Wow. Treating us like animals. Like we should be concerned about health as though we were mere mortals.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2007 :  06:52:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the article.
More people were killed by totalitarian states (all atheistic) in the 20th century than in all previous periods of history.

Bullshit

Also from the article with a small parenthetical comment by me.
States that practice mass murder continue to exist but are now accompanied by terrorist movements (all theistic) doing all within their power to acquire nuclear weapons so they can exterminate entire populations--millions, even tens and hundreds of millions.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.