Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Media Issues
 Geller and Angel team up for "reality" series...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2007 :  08:13:23  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chriss Angel and Uri Geller are teaming up for a new “reality” series for NBC. Just when you thought it couldn't get worse than it already is, here comes a major network legitimizing what Geller does. Also, I kinda thought Angel was a magician. I know that money talks, but in this case bullshit is definitely not walking.

PHENOMENON

The series, based on a successful Israeli version judged and monitored by Geller which achieved a historical record-breaking viewing audience, tests 10 hopeful mentalists who must compete each week to demonstrate a wide spectrum of mystifying talents on a panel of weekly celebrity guests who participate along with a studio audience. Geller and Angel will assess the contestants and offer their unfiltered opinions. Ultimately, the winner's fate will be determined by the viewers at home.

The visually arresting Angel is the creator, director and star of his self-titled, alternative cable series, "Criss Angel MINDFREAK" which is currently wrapping post production on its third remarkable and critically acclaimed season.

Geller soared to international fame by claiming extreme mind-over-matter abilities that aroused much controversy to this day in his hundreds of TV shows across the globe -- particularly the ability to bend spoons, among others. He was instrumental in creating the first interactive TV show worldwide when mysteriously objects bent in people's homes and broken watches came alive.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2007 :  09:24:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Chriss Angel and Uri Geller are teaming up for a new “reality” series for NBC. Just when you thought it couldn't get worse than it already is, here comes a major network legitimizing what Geller does. Also, I kinda thought Angel was a magician. I know that money talks, but in this case bullshit is definitely not walking.

PHENOMENON

The series, based on a successful Israeli version judged and monitored by Geller which achieved a historical record-breaking viewing audience, tests 10 hopeful mentalists who must compete each week to demonstrate a wide spectrum of mystifying talents on a panel of weekly celebrity guests who participate along with a studio audience. Geller and Angel will assess the contestants and offer their unfiltered opinions. Ultimately, the winner's fate will be determined by the viewers at home.

The visually arresting Angel is the creator, director and star of his self-titled, alternative cable series, "Criss Angel MINDFREAK" which is currently wrapping post production on its third remarkable and critically acclaimed season.

Geller soared to international fame by claiming extreme mind-over-matter abilities that aroused much controversy to this day in his hundreds of TV shows across the globe -- particularly the ability to bend spoons, among others. He was instrumental in creating the first interactive TV show worldwide when mysteriously objects bent in people's homes and broken watches came alive.

When is this botched abortion going to air? I didn't see a date in the article, and I really want to watch it. It will be fun to beat it to death & pick the corpse apart like the angry vulture that I am.

Anyone else watching this foolishness, here's a trick: Tape it. That way, if your machine will do it, you can slow things down enough to catch those so-clever finger moves with no distracting sound.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2007 :  10:16:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NBC's new Uri Geller/Criss Angel 'Phenomenon' to debut October 24
While Geller and Angel assist the Phenomenon contestants as well as provide their insight, home viewers will be the ones who vote to determine which act eventually claims the show's $250,000 grand prize following its five-week broadcast run.

"To be able to showcase the unique talents of this stunning and mysterious genre on live television, where absolutely anything can happen, ups the ante enormously," said Craig Plestis, NBC's executive vice president of alternative programming.

In addition to its two-hour Halloween broadcast on Wednesday, October 31, NBC will broadcast each of Phenomenon's one-hour episodes live and also implore home viewers to try and debunk the contestants' tricks.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2007 :  12:52:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got it! Thanks Kil.

Forgot to add, if your VCR won't slow the action down, you can still go through it frame by frame. It should be interesting. I think some of the contestants, if that's the word for them, will be outright quacks like Geller and some will be those deluded folks who think/wish they have 'powers.'

I'm looking forward to Randi's comments, if any, on it. I'll check his site tomorrow morning.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2007 :  18:03:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, that's kinda surprising.

I too thought Chriss Angel was a magician of the type to admit (while not actually performing) that what he did was tricks.

I remember, back when his had a radio show, Penn Jilette interviewing Chris, and that was the impression I got. It would be a real shame if he presents this show in the same vein as a John Edwards and that sort of abomination. But with Uri Geller involved, I don't see how it could be much else.

Mind you, I just noticed in Angel's wikipedia entry, is the text:

Angel does not believe Geller has any paranormal abilities.
which does have references, which I have not checked at this point.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.