Child Preachers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2007 :  06:02:11  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This article comes with a video well worth watching, although I found it disturbing.

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=3717627&page=1

Soon after he was saved, Samuel (seven years old) said God spoke to him by helping him come up with things to preach about. "When I asked to preach, right when I think I can preach, God gives me something right there," he said.

Yeah, kid, that's called confidence plus charisma.

Later in the interview the journalist asks: "Why do you want to preach?" and the kid says, "You'll have to ask my dad that." Yeah, kid, your dad knows why you want to preach. This kid might have the verbal skills to preach, but he obviously doesn't have any kind of mature understanding of what he's doing.

I wasn't too impressed with anything these kids were saying. Apparently neither they or their congregations realize how cliche that type of preaching is. It wouldn't be hard for an outgoing kid to pick up the messages and mannerisms if they are exposed to it growing up.

Although I certainly don't think this is the best way to raise one's kid, and watching it gives me the heebie jeebies, I wouldn't go so far as to label is abuse as the Episcopalian preacher in the story does. No more abusive than allowing a kid to be an actor or model. If the kids are smart and reflective enough when they reach maturity, they will think about their religion in different ways and come to new understandings of it, whether they stick with it or not.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 10/16/2007 06:02:50

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2007 :  06:37:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brain-washing and a child's imagination can produce some sad results. The father and grandmother of these kids worked hard and probably achieved rather more than they expected.

I wonder; what will be the results if their indoctrinations don't stick? Puberty after all, is right around the corner.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2007 :  07:26:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
filthy:
I wonder; what will be the results if their indoctrinations don't stick? Puberty after all, is right around the corner.

At least one child preacher, Marjoe Gortner , who started preaching at the age of four, went on to expose what he did as a money making scam.

In the late 1960s, Marjoe suffered a crisis of conscience -- in particular about the threats of damnation he felt compelled to weave into his sermons -- and resolved to make one final tour, this time on film. Under the pretense of making a documentary on the evangelical and non-denominational faiths, Marjoe assembled a documentary film crew to follow him around the Southern United States during 1971; unbeknownst to everyone else involved -- including, at one point, his father -- Marjoe gave "backstage" interviews to the filmmakers in between sermons and revivals, explaining intimate details of how he and other ministers operated. After sermons, the filmmakers were invited back to Marjoe's hotel room to tape him counting the money he collected during the day. The resulting film, Marjoe, won the 1972 Academy Award for best documentary.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2007 :  08:16:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

filthy:

At least one child preacher, Marjoe Gortner , who started preaching at the age of four, went on to expose what he did as a money making scam.

In the late 1960s, Marjoe suffered a crisis of conscience -- in particular about the threats of damnation he felt compelled to weave into his sermons -- and resolved to make one final tour, this time on film. Under the pretense of making a documentary on the evangelical and non-denominational faiths, Marjoe assembled a documentary film crew to follow him around the Southern United States during 1971; unbeknownst to everyone else involved -- including, at one point, his father -- Marjoe gave "backstage" interviews to the filmmakers in between sermons and revivals, explaining intimate details of how he and other ministers operated. After sermons, the filmmakers were invited back to Marjoe's hotel room to tape him counting the money he collected during the day. The resulting film, Marjoe, won the 1972 Academy Award for best documentary.

That film, "Marjoe" was wonderful. I remember it well.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 10/16/2007 08:16:58
Go to Top of Page

Coelacanth
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  09:18:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Coelacanth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would it bother you if a child at that age took up tap dancing? Why are you worried about these children? It is a VERY lucrative business they're getting into.
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  10:33:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Coelacanth

Would it bother you if a child at that age took up tap dancing? Why are you worried about these children? It is a VERY lucrative business they're getting into.
I think a better analogy might be dealing drugs, another very lucrative business.

And yes, it would greatly bother me if a child at that age took up drug dealing.

And welcome to SFN, Coelacanth!
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  10:48:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe they are both horrible analogies. On the one hand, tap dancing is an activity which doesn't require a developed sense of the world, the ability to distinguish between good, bad, and a gray area, among other things. Drug dealing on the other hand, is an illegal practice which should immediately make it a useless analogy. I believe a better one would be a politician having his child campaign for them. This analogy thrives where the other two fail. And I would conclude that while it is a gray area, it is a very dark shade of gray. Children should not be forced, encouraged, nor possibly allowed to be put into a position where they are giving advice to others. This holds for religion as well as any other organization.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Coelacanth
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  02:23:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Coelacanth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was actually just being satirical. I wasn't being serious at all... I made the bad tap dancing analogy on purpose.

But on the subject, children can preach if that's what they really want to do right? and they shouldn't be discouraged?

Because that's supposed to be the case here.

Of course we now know some of them are not the case, but the rest still go innocent until proven guilty.

One can only remain skeptical.
Edited by - Coelacanth on 10/22/2007 02:24:59
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.