Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  07:46:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Originally posted by Siberia

So I see you've branched out from Moonscape News into comics, HM? Well done - there are awesome.
Well, thank you very much, Siberia!

I figured that just because I have no talent in a field shouldn't bar me from trying it out, especially with such loose (downright sloppy, really) quality control being imposed upon me here. I love to read comics, so I really wanted to make some, too. Maybe I'll even learn some of the tricks while I fake it.

Quite true - quite true. That's why I still write, after all. If you enjoy it, why not try?

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  11:51:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

So I see you've branched out from Moonscape News into comics, HM? Well done - there are awesome.
Well, thank you very much, Siberia!

I figured that just because I have no talent in a field shouldn't bar me from trying it out, especially with such loose (downright sloppy, really) quality control being imposed upon me here. I love to read comics, so I really wanted to make some, too. Maybe I'll even learn some of the tricks while I fake it.

Quite true - quite true. That's why I still write, after all. If you enjoy it, why not try?
You write well, Siberia, even in your non-native English. (Your Portuguese prose must be remarkable.) I hope you keep it up for a lifetime!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  14:08:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote

You write well, Siberia, even in your non-native English. (Your Portuguese prose must be remarkable.) I hope you keep it up for a lifetime!

Actually, it's quite ironic but my portuguese is slipping. I used to write much better in portuguese - maybe it's because I haven't written fiction in my native language for so long.

Portuguese is a fairly complex language - someone once said English is the language for literature and they're right. I find it easier to write in English than in my native language.

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  15:46:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Actually, it's quite ironic but my portuguese is slipping. I used to write much better in portuguese - maybe it's because I haven't written fiction in my native language for so long.

Portuguese is a fairly complex language - someone once said English is the language for literature and they're right. I find it easier to write in English than in my native language.
English may simply have more words. English (unlike French, which has a guardian committee to prevent this from happening) unabashedly steals any and all foreign words that it likes.

I learned much watching Bill Moyer's "The Story Of English" TV series years ago. The language is a strong one. Much of the very strength of English comes from such theft. That's one reason I'm convinced that the USA needs no "official language." English can take care of itself.

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  01:58:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's one reason I'm convinced that the USA needs no "official language."

Prob not the right place for it... but a government needs to have a single language that the functions of government are carried out in.

This isn't disrepectfull of any other language, but just simple pragmatism. Our government is already so bloated (mint sir?), it could explode at any moment.

That said, having a government language doesn't mean that the government should not make every effort to communicate with all it's citizens, even using the many languages spoken within it's borders. Just that the laws, policies, and other such things are officially written in one language, and that same language is used by government officials performing official government functions. It really is asking to much to expect a courtroom in New Mexico to function (and keep records) in Zuni, Navaho, English, Spanish, Apache, Ute, Acoma, and Ysleta.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  02:34:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

That's one reason I'm convinced that the USA needs no "official language."

Prob not the right place for it... but a government needs to have a single language that the functions of government are carried out in.

This isn't disrepectfull of any other language, but just simple pragmatism. Our government is already so bloated (mint sir?), it could explode at any moment.

That said, having a government language doesn't mean that the government should not make every effort to communicate with all it's citizens, even using the many languages spoken within it's borders. Just that the laws, policies, and other such things are officially written in one language, and that same language is used by government officials performing official government functions. It really is asking to much to expect a courtroom in New Mexico to function (and keep records) in Zuni, Navaho, English, Spanish, Apache, Ute, Acoma, and Ysleta.

I guess I'd go for English being an official language, but I doubt there's a single locality where that is likely to be an actual issue.

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  04:53:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote

English may simply have more words. English (unlike French, which has a guardian committee to prevent this from happening) unabashedly steals any and all foreign words that it likes.

I learned much watching Bill Moyer's "The Story Of English" TV series years ago. The language is a strong one. Much of the very strength of English comes from such theft. That's one reason I'm convinced that the USA needs no "official language." English can take care of itself.

That's not quite it, I think, though you do have a point. English has more words (but then, portuguese does absorb many words from many languages - then again, it's also related to a lot of languages, such as spanish, french and italian), which makes for more flexibility.

It's funny because most people here tend to think English is a poor language (vocabulary wise) and you have to know it a bit further to see how that is not simply true. It's just you can convey a lot of ideas with less words, which doesn't quite work in portuguese. I think the grammar is simpler as well.

Portuguese has, for instance, accent signs (or whatever you call them; the likes of á, é, â, ô, õ, ã), which english lacks. It doesn't seem like such a big deal, but there are at several rules just on how to use those and when (if anyone here knows French, I suppose it isn't very different). Verbs have declinations, which are different for every single tense (and those amount to about 12 - I'd have to count) and pretty much different for every verb (they do follow patterns, but they're not quite as clear cut as in english). The greatest problem in portuguese, methinks, is using the verbs correctly. It's easy to go wrong with that.

Then again, I never learned English as a native speaker might, so maybe I wasn't exposed to the subtleties of the language. What I know I picked up from non-textbook books, the 'net, etc.

-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  06:52:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recall from that "Story of English" series that most of the complex grammatical rules (gender, for instance) of other European languages was tossed out by English, because it developed more or less as a "pigeon" or compromise tongue to allow, say, Anglo-Saxon speakers to communicate with Danish settlers. They just ignored the complex rules of each contributing language, and the result was a streamlined tongue.

I remember as a kid seeing some Bible verse in translation in a whole bunch of different languages. The text of English was shorter than all the other, and much shorter than the Latin-based languages.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/02/2007 06:53:09
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  07:03:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Portuguese has, for instance, accent signs (or whatever you call them; the likes of á, é, â, ô, õ, ã), which english lacks. It doesn't seem like such a big deal, but there are at several rules just on how to use those and when (if anyone here knows French, I suppose it isn't very different). Verbs have declinations, which are different for every single tense (and those amount to about 12 - I'd have to count) and pretty much different for every verb (they do follow patterns, but they're not quite as clear cut as in english). The greatest problem in portuguese, methinks, is using the verbs correctly. It's easy to go wrong with that.

Does Portuguese also distinguish between male and female like Spanish? When I was learning Spanish I had a time remembering that.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  17:40:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dude wrote:
This isn't disrepectfull of any other language, but just simple pragmatism.
Good point. If most of the people who vocally advocated making English the USA's official language used mere pragmatic argument, it probably wouldn't be such a controversial issue. Unfortunately, almost everyone I've ever heard arguing for English as the official language did so out of some patriotic fervor and fear of Spanish-speaking immigrant "taking over".

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.