Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  15:42:58  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a continuation of this thread.

Carry on.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  12:21:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As you know, my family in San Diego County has been preparing to possibly fight the Harris fire to save their home. During all this, my 87-year-old, Alzheimers-stricken mother has been watching events on TV. My sister asked her yesterday if she knew what was going on. "Oh, sure," my mother said, as she peered to read the text scrolling across the bottom of the TV screen. "Wildfires continue as new execution centers open," she said.

Edited for clarity.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 10/25/2007 17:14:33
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  12:37:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So anyway, weather here in MI is a hell of a lot better since climate change kicked into high gear. On the other hand the lake levels are at record lows because they don't freeze over in winter anymore. Be a shame to lose those.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  13:29:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

... "Wildfires continue as new execution centers open."
Emphasis mine -- B10

Whoa! Hmm... maybe we should have some of those, eh? Maybe not during a catastrophe, though.

Anyway, we got a lot of people to assist with the firefighting and humanitarian aid, and a lot of equipment was donated/loaned in support of the efforts. It is still a long way from contained (that means it's still spreading), but it's not growing as quickly as it was before. That's a good sign.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  17:12:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Boron10

... "Wildfires continue as new execution centers open."
Emphasis mine -- B10

Whoa! Hmm... maybe we should have some of those, eh? Maybe not during a catastrophe, though.

Anyway, we got a lot of people to assist with the firefighting and humanitarian aid, and a lot of equipment was donated/loaned in support of the efforts. It is still a long way from contained (that means it's still spreading), but it's not growing as quickly as it was before. That's a good sign.
My sister said our mother didn't seem too worried about either the fires or the "execution centers," but liked staying current with the news.

From the south, the Harris fire seems to gave been stopped for the moment, south of Skyline Truck Trail, so it's not as threatening as it was. But my impression is that the Witch is still creeping south toward Interstate 8. If it crosses that, it's in my family's 'hood.

The best thing now is that there are more crews on the scene (including a crew of 5 from little Half Moon Bay). Those crews have fewer fires to fight, so they are more effective in making strategic stands. Plus, there are a whole shitload of aircraft now. Most of the fires are uncontained, but at least there's now a chance to hold the line at vital spots.

Thanks for helping down there, Boron! I much appreciate the hard work and sacrifice of the many people who are involved!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  20:36:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This evening between 8 and 9 PM, I used my recently bought used binocular for the first time. It's a Crown 12x80mm

I used it to observe Comet C/2006 M4 SWAN.

For a the last month or two, on it's way out toward the rim, it's been dwindling in magnitude, and I think someone said it was magnitude 11 a week ago. Now suddenly, without a warning it flared up to magnitude between 2 and 3 !!!
What happened I don't know... Perhaps a geyser erupted or something, but suddenly it's visible to the naked eye where it wasn't before, and is moving a few degrees every day.

A friend of mine took a photo while we were out in his back yard. (Almost in the middle of town!)

Second photo in this link. Marked as "Comet C/2006 M4 SWAN October 25, 2006"
That's the Astronomy club I'm a proud president of.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  21:01:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those are some really nice photos you guys took. And great looking equipment, too.

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2007 :  06:14:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone else tired of the fire coverage on NPR? My god it's like a pledge drive week. Over and over, interviews with this guy whose house burnt, that guy whose house didn't, the lady who doesn't know, the pets, the horses, the firemen, the illegals, the president, the governer, the 2003 fires, who rebuilt, where they rebuilt, how they rebuilt, did they get burnt again, are these fires arson, what odd names they picked for them, how about those Santa Anna winds, have they stopped, will they pick up again, on and on, over and over.

Isn't ANYTHING else happening?

Damn, I know this is a big deal, tragedy, lots of people's lives screwed up, but there is such a thing as too much coverage. Variety is the spice of life and on the morning commute I can't stand JJ and the Morning Crew or Dick and Dork Tell Dumb Jokes or Jack Ass and Joey Make Prank Calls. I have to have something halfway intelligent to listen too! But not the fires. Please, no more in depth about the fires.

-Chaloobi

Edited by - chaloobi on 10/26/2007 06:16:06
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2007 :  06:40:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by chaloobi

I have to have something halfway intelligent to listen too!

How about your favorite podcast?

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2007 :  07:26:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd prefer not to have to do any kind of advance planning and preparation. I'd like to turn on my car radio and listen to NPR talk about something other than the Southern Cal fires.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2007 :  09:27:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Anyone else tired of the fire coverage on NPR? My god it's like a pledge drive week. Over and over, interviews with this guy whose house burnt, that guy whose house didn't, the lady who doesn't know, the pets, the horses, the firemen, the illegals, the president, the governer, the 2003 fires, who rebuilt, where they rebuilt, how they rebuilt, did they get burnt again, are these fires arson, what odd names they picked for them, how about those Santa Anna winds, have they stopped, will they pick up again, on and on, over and over.

Damn, I know this is a big deal, tragedy, lots of people's lives screwed up, but there is such a thing as too much coverage. Variety is the spice of life and on the morning commute I can't stand JJ and the Morning Crew or Dick and Dork Tell Dumb Jokes or Jack Ass and Joey Make Prank Calls. I have to have something halfway intelligent to listen too! But not the fires. Please, no more in depth about the fires.
Well, actually I think this is big news, as Katrina was. There were over half a million people evacuated at one point. Thousands of homes have been destroyed. About a half-dozen people have been burned to death. And it's not over yet.

This might not be happening in your backyard, but this ain't no Britney Spears parking lot fender-bender.

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2007 :  09:53:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Well, actually I think this is big news, as Katrina was. There were over half a million people evacuated at one point. Thousands of homes have been destroyed. About a half-dozen people have been burned to death. And it's not over yet.

This might not be happening in your backyard, but this ain't no Britney Spears parking lot fender-bender.

When I said I knew it was a big deal, I meant it. I just can't stand hearing about it every time I turn on NPR. And I wouldn't care if Britney Spears dropped of the face of the earth forever....

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2007 :  10:10:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
chaloobi, I took wish there were more diversity of stories in the news and also wish the frivolous crap about celebrities was strictly relegated to entertainment news venues. Although I think part of the problem is not enough journalists, editors, and time.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2007 :  10:31:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox
I think part of the problem is not enough journalists, editors, and time.
The underlying cause of that is a huge priority to inflate the expense to revenue ratio. It's the hyper-capitalist profit motive that drives everything these days. The extra bonus for these folks is less real news means a less informed public which means easier manipulation of democratic processes. Which then works to keep the hyper-capitalist system in place.

-Chaloobi

Edited by - chaloobi on 10/26/2007 10:32:48
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2007 :  10:37:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

When I said I knew it was a big deal, I meant it. I just can't stand hearing about it every time I turn on NPR. And I wouldn't care if Britney Spears dropped of the face of the earth forever....
Yeah, you did say that, and I accept and appreciate that.

It's just that I've been spending many hours and days trying to discover details in the news about the advances of the Witch and Harris fires toward my family's home. I'm not finding too much coverage, but too little, and it's of vital concern to me.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 10/26/2007 10:38:56
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2007 :  11:01:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yeah, you did say that, and I accept and appreciate that.

It's just that I've been spending many hours and days trying to discover details in the news about the advances of the Witch and Harris fires toward my family's home. I'm not finding too much coverage, but too little, and it's of vital concern to me.

Sounds like the kind of coverage you're looking for and I'm getting drunk on are different. There's a lot of human interest stuff, stuff about emergency response, about how fires like this are fought, about the effects on illegal immigration, about where people build and why, where they rebuilt from the last time and so on. You'd never get an idea about specific fires and where they're at now or heading....

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1 seconds.