Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2008 :  06:18:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Sometimes, it is clear I am waaay behind on things like computers and technology.
...and I had to look up the second amendment on wikipedia to get the point. However, it was a very good point.
Um. What was the point?
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2008 :  17:10:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
RSA is an encryption method used to encode documents, using two very large prime-numbers as keys. It was patented by MIT, but the algoritm got used in a popular e-mail encryption program called Pretty Good Privacy (or short: PGP) before the patent expired (2000).
Also, heavy crypto-programs was classified military, and RSA crypto (and thus PGP which was distributed as open source) was classified as munitions within the US export regulations.
Making RSA encryption available to countries that are/were under export restrictions like Cuba, Soviet Union/Russia, Iran, etc. was considered criminal.

Edited to add the actual point:
The author of PGP got around the export restrictions as munitions by publishing a book with the cource code of the PGP program. Selling and exporting books goes under freedom of expression, the First Amendment.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 11/15/2008 17:18:54
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2008 :  12:30:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What with all the other election excitement, it took me this long to wonder how Hal Bidlack did in his quest for election. He lost, by a rather large margin. He's vowed to run again in two years, though.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2008 :  12:55:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

What with all the other election excitement, it took me this long to wonder how Hal Bidlack did in his quest for election. He lost, by a rather large margin. He's vowed to run again in two years, though.
That's too bad. He ran in a very heavy Republican district and he knew it was a long shot. You have to admire his tenacity though.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2008 :  18:52:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome video.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2008 :  22:26:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My son is in to a childrens program called The Wiggles. Inevitably, you end up listening to what goes on in these sorts of programs. In a Christmas special, one of the characters introduces a guest: John Fogerty! I must admit that I feel a bit ambivalent about this. On the one hand, I get a "oh, how the mighty have fallen" feeling. On the other, it's quite cool to hear the guy sing "Rockin' Santa".

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2008 :  22:31:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The world record for doing the most push-ups in one go is 10,507. At least I'm not three orders of magnitude away from that...

Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2008 :  17:44:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Merry Christmas from Sweden

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2008 :  23:43:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Catwoman died on Christmas. Nurse Chapel preceded her by a week.

The world is obviously going to hell in a handbasket.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2008 :  03:08:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Catwoman died on Christmas. Nurse Chapel preceded her by a week.

The world is obviously going to hell in a handbasket.

Major bummer...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Hittman
Skeptic Friend

134 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2008 :  09:30:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hittman's Homepage Send Hittman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never remembered Ertha as Catwoman. That honor went to Julie Newmar.

Catwoman, Emma Peel, 99 and Mortica Adams began my lifelong love of sexy brunettes, who always seemed much more intriguing than blonds.

When a vampire Jehovah's Witness knocks on your door, don't invite him in. Blood Witness: http://bloodwitness.com

Get Smartenized® with the Quick Hitts blog: http://www.davehitt.com/blog2/index.phpBlog
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  20:07:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After just three months of trying, I have happy news on the baby front. Assuming this one takes, I'll be a mom for reals in September.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  21:56:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

After just three months of trying, I have happy news on the baby front. Assuming this one takes, I'll be a mom for reals in September.
Congrats, marf! The two things I've never regretted in my life are helping bring my daughter into existence, and being too lazy to kill her when she pooped her diapers.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/13/2009 21:56:53
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  15:02:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw Daniel Dennett yesterday. He was at Stanford University, giving a follow-up Q&A session to his talk there of the previous day. Sadly, I'd missed his Stanford Presidential Lecture ("The Evolution of 'Why' as the Key to Free Will") due to mistaking the second appearance for the first. D'oh!

I didn't understand the Q & A well enough to justify a separate posting on one of our fora, due missing the main talk, my own general weakness in philosophy, and the fact that I've not yet completed any of his books.

I was sitting, I believe, next to Douglas R. Hofstadter, who introduced himself merely as "Doug." On a hunch, I later Googled Hofstadter, and the guy's pictures look like the Doug I spoke with pior to the session with Dennett.

Hofstadter mentioned he's working at Stanford with a group which studies the interface between technology and culture, and that he's the "culture" part, with most of the others being tech weenies. When I asked Doug when the Technology Singularity was coming, he shook his head and said something like, "Maybe never." When I then suggested that maybe we've been experiencing it for years, he agreed this was possible.

Hofstadter also volunteered his curiousity as to when and if the computer people will take responsibility for the present recession. The guy really doesn't like geeks much. (Hofstadter, by the way, mentioned he's quite familiar with SFN.)

Damn, I'd read Doug's Gödel, Escher, Bach decades ago and loved it. I wish I'd known who I was speaking with yesterday!

I did get my new copy of Darwin's Dangerous Idea signed by Dennett at the end of the 1-1/2 hour session, and shook his hand, thus adding his handshake to a collection that includes JFK and Martin Luther King, Jr.

Dennett (or "Danny" as I now call him) is a jolly old elf. He speaks naturally and in the most general English he can use for a topic. He fills his talk with humor and wit.

At very serious risk of misrepresenting Dennett, the discussion revolved mainly around free will within a "deterministic" universe, and how humans being able to ask "why" is central to both free will and our ability to make ethical decisions.

I can't wait to catch up with Dennett's writings.

One Horseman down, three to go.

[Edited considerbly, after I realized I'd (probably) chatted with Douglas R. Hofstadter.]

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/14/2009 18:22:46
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  15:15:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I met Dennett at TAM4. (Didn't get a picture though.) You're right Mooner, he is a cool guy for, you know, an egghead... He was one of the highlights of that TAM.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.84 seconds.