Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  19:28:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's an interesting approach to getting a "3-D" effect:

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  20:10:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mooner wrote:
What a scam! I counted just one.
No, man, that one monkey print has 14 monkeys in it - 2 in the foreground and 12 in the background. Plus one crane for good measure. More monkey for your buck, I'd say!

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  20:26:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

Mooner wrote:
What a scam! I counted just one.
No, man, that one monkey print has 14 monkeys in it - 2 in the foreground and 12 in the background. Plus one crane for good measure. More monkey for your buck, I'd say!
I gotta get my eyes fixed. So you packed 14 monkeys into one small print? And PeTA says medical researchers are cruel.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/05/2007 20:27:41
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  21:29:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yikes! Either that T.Rex has had too much coffee, or I have...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  18:32:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Today, I talked to the nurse who works at my company regarding some tests that needs to be done. Blood pressure and blod works, for a health profile for my company. At the same time, I asked for a vaccine against the current flu. If I'm going to have the operation in a near future, it wouldn't hurt to make sure I don't get it close to surgery.

While we were talking she also told me they got the report back from the orthopaedic doctor. He was a bit concerned about me having elevated blood pressure and wanted to make sure that it was only temporary, or to start me on medication if the high pressure remained. She could also confirm that I am on the short-list for surgery.
Yay!

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  18:48:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great to see you're on the list for the new hip!

Do follow up on the BP thing. Unknowingly to me, mine ran wild between normal checkup intervals, even though I was on some meds already. My first indication that I had a problem was a devastating stroke.

Also, if you need BP meds: Be prepared for side-effects. Be reasonably patient about these side-effects, as most will diminish greatly over time. But let your doc know. The first time I took Hytrin (Terazosin), for instance, I could not even stand up after the first dose. That quickly improved.

Since people react so differently from one another, expect that one or two meds may need others substituted. It's good to read the list of side-effects, so you are prepared to notice them. I've found that doctors don't always recognize every side-effect of every drug, and my reading actually helped save me from a drug reaction once. (My doc was glad to be told about that side-effect.) Pharmacists also are a good source for side-effect information, often being more knowledgeable about these than physicians. I now always get the free consultation that pharmacists offer here whenever I get a new prescription.

Remember that minor side-effects are well worth it in the balance, if the drugs can prevent heart attack or stroke.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/13/2007 18:57:31
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  12:11:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Great to see you're on the list for the new hip!
Indeed! I can see myself getting my life back in a forseeable future. I may even be good enough for the biker season 2008 to get my Bandit out for a spin.

Do follow up on the BP thing.
The orthopaedic doctor sent a note to my company doctor to follow up of the blood pressure and have it monitored, so I'm already onto it. I'm seeing the company nurse right after the weekend. She'll do BP, check blood count, fat, and cholesterol.

Also, if you need BP meds: Be prepared for side-effects.
I've been on meds constantly for the last 5 years, due to my hip-problem, so I know how it works.

Remember that minor side-effects are well worth it in the balance, if the drugs can prevent heart attack or stroke.
Yeah. My father has had a triple bypass, and he got his first Angina pectoris when he was 40. Both my parents are on meds for high blood-fat. However, since I'm aware of my genetic disposition, I'm being much more careful with stress and food than he ever was.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  15:03:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad you already knew that stuff, Mab. But maybe someone else will remember it when they need meds. Not everyone has the hard-won experience that we two old med veterans have. I try to remember the lurkers when I post.

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2007 :  13:26:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse
She could also confirm that I am on the short-list for surgery.
Yay!

When she said I was on the short list, she wasn't kidding!
I'm scheduled for surgery on Dec. 6th, the paper just arrived.

My girlfriend will be holding the fort while I'm at the hospital, which I expect to be 10 days (judged by my last stay).

I just hope that my blood pressure has dropped enough until then, I'll be cutting it close. The blood pressure meds usually takes a week or two to take effect.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2007 :  21:17:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yahoo! Having had some painful operations myself, I recommend that you kick back and enjoy the pain meds without an ounce of guilt. It's best not to admit actually enjoying the warm-and-fuzzy feel of modern synthetic opiates, lest buzz-kill surgeons think you are an addictive type, and reduce the dosage prematurely. The doctors will almost certainly prevent you from becoming an addict in any event. If anything, they are probably over-conservative in pain control. When just about all you can do for awhile is to lay about, it's nice to do so without pain, and with pleasure.

Then there will be the physical therapy. PT's are the world's cruelest taskmasters outside US Marine or Al Qaeda drill sergeants. They are also among the most dedicated, educated, underpaid and caring people you will ever meet. They'll do everything they can to get you strong and flexible again.

Good luck. Mab! This will be a major turning point for you, in a very good way.

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2007 :  11:56:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Surgery postponed due to high blood pressure. Rescheduled to after new Year.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2007 :  12:23:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a shame, Mab. Good that they're not saying it'll be delayed six months, though.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2007 :  14:39:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They set the date to January 14th for a new try.
So I have a month to try out another med for my blood pressure.

My consolation prize is a little box of pills labelled Oxykodon,
the drug of choice for celebrities.
I won't be needing all of the pills, maybe he'd be interested in buying my surplus...

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2007 :  16:48:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I sent out my first artist's grant application today. I asked for a couple thousand dollars from a foundation that supports "...continuing the dialogue between art and the lives of ordinary people." It felt weird asking for money to make art, and it was mentally exhausting writing about why my work is worthy enough. I'm just so used to accepting that I have to spend money on my art, not receive it. I have no idea what my chances of getting said grant are, but I plan to apply for a lot more in the coming year.

Special thanks to Dave and Matt for the stimulating conversations going on in the secularist humbug thread. Thinking and writing about this stuff helped get the juices flowing so I could write a more passionate and well thought out project proposal.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  23:34:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My latest video. A belated homage to my former town of Fredericksburg, Virginia. It's a compilation of some places we frequented and some of the surrounding Civil War Battlefield cemeteries. Though I only lived there a few years, it will always be a place of fond memories.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 01/08/2008 23:37:48
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.97 seconds.