Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2012 :  02:34:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

So a hunter leaves his house and walks a mile south, and then a mile west. He shoots a bear, then drags the bear a mile north and is back at his home. What color was the bear?

(Nitpickers: ignore the bloodstains.)
White.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2012 :  07:59:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

If I were to say I measured the air temperature at -40 degrees, what temperature scale must I be using?
I'll bite. It is not impossible to get -40 degrees in a deep freezer. One would need a unit that uses R404A or R12 and not R134 refrigerant in the system. I've repaired (R12) -20f holdover coldplate freezers on yachts, so I don't think -40 is impossible. They are used where the compressor freezes a tank of eutectic solution over an hour or two until frozen solid and is usually cycled daily. With this kind of freezer on a boat the generator (or engine with belt drive compressor) is run for an hour or two until the plate is frozen solid. These freezers typically have 3.5" thick insulated boxes. They're used mostly on sail boats and in ice cream trucks like these. With ice cream trucks they are plugged in over night.

Technically you could be using Celsius or Fahrenheit because on both those scales -40 degrees is the same temperature.
Of course commercial food processors flash freeze the production at those temp too.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Edited by - sailingsoul on 10/24/2012 08:00:55
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2012 :  08:40:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

If I were to say I measured the air temperature at -40 degrees, what temperature scale must I be using?
I'll bite. It is not impossible to get -40 degrees in a deep freezer. One would need a unit that uses R404A or R12 and not R134 refrigerant in the system. I've repaired (R12) -20f holdover coldplate freezers on yachts, so I don't think -40 is impossible. They are used where the compressor freezes a tank of eutectic solution over an hour or two until frozen solid and is usually cycled daily. With this kind of freezer on a boat the generator (or engine with belt drive compressor) is run for an hour or two until the plate is frozen solid. These freezers typically have 3.5" thick insulated boxes. They're used mostly on sail boats and in ice cream trucks like these. With ice cream trucks they are plugged in over night.

Technically you could be using Celsius or Fahrenheit because on both those scales -40 degrees is the same temperature.
Of course commercial food processors flash freeze the production at those temp too.

Bonus points for endless details!

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2012 :  09:42:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote

In a previous chapter in my life I held Residential Heating and A/C contractors license in California. And in Florida I worked as a Marine Refrigeration and A/C Tech. Finally! All that got me something, thanks for the points.

So seeing how your going to make me ask, where were you measuring that air temp? And what scale? I'd say Fahrenheit. Hay! you posted the question, what's the answer?

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2012 :  11:03:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

But there are no bears on Antarctica, so how does this answer the question?
That's what I said originally!
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2012 :  11:16:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Okay, nitpickers. Celsius, Kelvin or Fahrenheit?
You took the reading, what scale was it based on. Technically, any three could have been used.
As a honorary member of the Nitpicker's Club, I need to point out that it is technically impossible to measure a temperature of negative Kelvin. It cannot exist. Also, Kelvin isn't referred to as "degrees" Kelvin. Just plain Kelvin.
"What's the temperature outside?" - "It's 233 Kelvin" - "Brrr, that cold?"

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2012 :  13:08:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

In a previous chapter in my life I held Residential Heating and A/C contractors license in California. And in Florida I worked as a Marine Refrigeration and A/C Tech. Finally! All that got me something, thanks for the points.

So seeing how your going to make me ask, where were you measuring that air temp? And what scale? I'd say Fahrenheit. Hay! you posted the question, what's the answer?
Boron10 got it right earlier: -40 is that same temperature in both Centigrade and Fahrenheit. (But not in Kelvin, of course, since 0 K is the flat-out bottom on that scale.) And I did not actually measure such a temperature.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2012 :  16:20:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Boron10

But that's pretty much all you said. You didn't answer the question, which Mooner got right.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2012 :  18:54:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

But that's pretty much all you said. You didn't answer the question, which Mooner got right.
Noticed at least one of the nitpickers seemed to know the answer, but preferred to quibble, so I snuck in my answer. That riddle was in my family since the 1950's in much the same form.

Go to Top of Page

Doctor X
Voluntary Exile

151 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2012 :  20:21:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Doctor X a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hence, my edit: The man starts just over one mile from the South pole, such that the circumference of the Earth is a mile once he starts heading West.

He walks south, circumnavigates the south pole, shoots the bear, and returns home.

You have to consider these things. . . .

--J. "Now I Know You Boys've Been Through a Lot!" D.

His secrets are not sold cheaply.
It is perilous to waste his time.
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2012 :  08:40:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Noticed at least one of the nitpickers seemed to know the answer, but preferred to quibble, so I snuck in my answer. That riddle was in my family since the 1950's in much the same form.
Sometimes it's more fun for me to nitpick.... I just like that there are two places on earth that meet the given geography, eh?
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2012 :  11:09:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Sometimes it's more fun for me to nitpick.... I just like that there are two places on earth that meet the given geography, eh?
And nitpicking is a subset of skepticism, amirite?

Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2012 :  13:50:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Any scale you want. It could be in degrees Mooner, and in that scale -40 could be balmy and +40 could be chilly.
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2012 :  07:58:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Random awesomeness posted by an old friend on Facebook:

Mammal Tree of Life
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2012 :  10:12:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Random awesomeness posted by an old friend on Facebook:

Mammal Tree of Life
That's really cool.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.84 seconds.