Skeptic Friends Network

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Community Forums
 General Discussion
 The water cooler, part 3
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 59

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1274 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2026 :  09:16:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
announce where?

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9705 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2026 :  10:20:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dr. Mabuse's Homepage  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From back then I was Admin for Skepticality Forums and was helping Derek with modification of the phpBB2 forum software and troubleshooting the database, the Admin-section of the forum had a subsection for making MySQL database dump for backup purposes (and restore). It was actually through that function I managed to restore some hundred discussion threads that disappeared when the ISP screwed up. Maybe Snitz has it too?

A copy of the SQL-database would be sufficient to at least make a trial run on a local computer to see how well a conversion-tool would work. I can do that at home, I already have Apache (web-server) and MySQL installed on my media-server, and I think I have both phpBB-forum versions stowed away somewhere.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse aka Mikael Lännqvist Whispering Mabuse (Propaganda)

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13493 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2026 :  10:37:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

announce where?
Facebook.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26042 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2026 :  20:48:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Wait, what? Has the Wayback Machine had all of our stuff this whole time? All the essays and articles and summaries and everything?
Looks like it.

ETA: The archives go all the way back to November of 1998.
We don't allow new members anyhow.
This is news to me.

ETA: Oh, yeah, "Prohibit New Members" is definitely turned on.
Also, I think I know what happened. I think the guy at Newtek Webhosting turned the site back on, but he couldn't say he was going to it because calls are recorded. He couldn't let me sign in because I have none of Larry's credentials. I think he just went ahead and turned the site back on. But really, I have no idea if it will last. We're sort of in the Twilight Zone here. I was about to announce that the site was gone for good when I took one more look.
I'm wondering if maybe the first place you talked to - the one that took your money - is just the DNS host for the domain name, and maybe it had expired.

Yes, now that I've looked, Network Solutions is "The world's first domain registrar." So I bet that "skepticfriends.org" had expired, and your money made it unexpire, and it just took a few days for that reality to bubble through the interwebs.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13493 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2026 :  23:45:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a trip! The Wayback Machine is a trip. Here's the beginning of SFN. It started as just one part of "The Truth and Other Lies" which was a website for an AOL chatroom.

Skeptic Friends Network was just one menu item.

https://web.archive.org/web/20000118060741/http://skepticfriends.org/truth/index.html

For some reason the above link doesn't work, but it works when I enter it into my browser. I have no idea why. I'm still a tech idiot, I guess.

Yes, now that I've looked, Network Solutions is "The world's first domain registrar." So I bet that "skepticfriends.org" had expired, and your money made it unexpire, and it just took a few days for that reality to bubble through the interwebs.


Could that have happened without any of the people over there knowing it was going to happen? They sent me to NewTech Webhosting.




Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26042 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2026 :  19:06:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

For some reason the above link doesn't work, but it works when I enter it into my browser. I have no idea why. I'm still a tech idiot, I guess.
Snitz sees the two "http://" parts or the extra "www" and says "oh, this must be two different links." Hover your mouse over the two halves.

To make my links, I had to twiddle the URL, like so:

https://web.archive.org/web/19981111191550/http%3A//w%77w.skepticfriends.org/

The %3A is a colon, and the %77 is a lower-case W. The server on the other end translates them back.
Could that have happened without any of the people over there knowing it was going to happen? They sent me to NewTech Webhosting.
No clue. But Network Solutions took money from you?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 59  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.


Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.
Powered by @tomic Studio
Snitz Forums 2000