Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  14:28:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What's this roughly square thing?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  14:36:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

What's this roughly square thing?
Looks like a house with tiered landscaping to me...

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  14:48:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's got a name.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  15:03:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

It's got a name.
I'm guessing it's the Zane Grey home.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  15:20:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or the Zane Grey Pueblo Hotel on Chimes Tower Road, just north of Avalon on the way to the Deacon Tubular Bell Carillon.
Edited by - bngbuck on 04/08/2008 15:24:43
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  15:22:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

Or the Zane Grey Pueblo Hotel on Chimes Tower Road on the way to Deacon Tubular Bell Carillon.
That's the same place.

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  15:25:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No shit!
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  15:43:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whoa, watch the language, bngbuck. I was just pointing out that despite your use of the word "or," you weren't actually providing an alternative. I'd also add that the information you offered was already contained in the link I provided. Perhaps you were just repeating it to demonstrate agreement with my conclusion? If so, then I thank you for your vote of confidence.

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  16:08:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hummer.....

Shit, a hotel ain't an alternative to a home, unless you really have a lot of money! I'm not quite to that place yet! It used to be Zane Grey's home, now it's a hotel. Grey's dead, by the way! Wrote a lot of western adventures like - Riders of the Purple Sage on the Rainbow Trail by the Light of the Western Stars! Kind of a long title, but paper was cheap back in those days! Grey gave birth to the Lone Ranger by the way!

A charming, pretty, old, place - fits like a glove into the ethos of Catalina Island and the ratty elegance of Avalon!!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  17:58:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, the square thingy is the Chime Tower which houses the Deacon Tubular Bell Carillon.

Zane Grey's home is well south of it, but looks closer on the old postcard due to foreshortening.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  20:42:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave.....

Listen, Dave, we have got to be more accurate around here! Is it Chime Tower road or Chimes Tower road? And please get it damn fucking right this time, okay? It's been a few years since I've been to Avalon (travel on to Avalon?), but I remember that you come to the old hotel first, and then the Chime/Chimes/whatever Tower is a little farther north on the road out of Avalon - is that right? The Pueblo looks like something transplanted from San Ildefonso south of Santa Fe!

What in the name of Zen(e) ever prompted you to pick out a googlemap of that fusty old fossil as a puzzle piece? Have you thought about donating your brain to Science when you go to hell? If the microbiologists worked on it long enough, they might learn something useful!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  13:43:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For some reason, I thought of filthy when I saw this:

(Click picture for original site.)

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  10:04:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave.....

Man, I like that toad from hell in the top picture! That's better than Filthy's snapping turtle by a horror movie factor of ten. What's it's name - as in what is it?

I have never taken on one of the silly pictures some of you folk use to characterize yourselves here, but I am reconsidering.....!
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  10:49:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Woooooo hooooooo! I finally went to the dentist today after nearly 7 years and guess what? Only three little cavities. That's right, baby, no root canals for me!

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  18:30:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

Woooooo hooooooo! I finally went to the dentist today after nearly 7 years and guess what? Only three little cavities. That's right, baby, no root canals for me!
Congratulations! So, will it be another seven years before you go again? Not that it's any of my business...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.27 seconds.