Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Social Issues
 This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  12:37:22  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have taken the liberty of using a comment on this article for a title, as I can't come up with anything better. I put it in this folder because I can't think of any other more suitable, especally C/E. The mods, of course, may prefer it elsewhere; like the septic tank Recycle Bin.

Anyhoo:
Human race will 'split into two different species'
By NIALL FIRTH - More by this author »

The human race will one day split into two separate species, an attractive, intelligent ruling elite and an underclass of dim-witted, ugly goblin-like creatures, according to a top scientist.

100,000 years into the future, sexual selection could mean that two distinct breeds of human will have developed.

The alarming prediction comes from evolutionary theorist Oliver Curry from the London School of Economics, who says that the human race will have reached its physical peak by the year 3000.
You might know that it'd be an economist, evolutionary theorist who came up with it.
These humans will be between 6ft and 7ft tall and they will live up to 120 years.

"Physical features will be driven by indicators of health, youth and fertility that men and women have evolved to look for in potential mates," says the report, which suggests that advances in cosmetic surgery and other body modifying techniques will effectively homogenise our appearance.

Men will have symmetrical facial features, deeper voices and bigger penises, according to Curry in a report commissioned for men's satellite TV channel Bravo.

Women will all have glossy hair, smooth hairless skin, large eyes and pert breasts, according to Curry.

Racial differences will be a thing of the past as interbreeding produces a single coffee-coloured skin tone.

The future for our descendants isn't all long life, perfect bodies and chiselled features, however.

While humans will reach their peak in 1000 years' time, 10,000 years later our reliance on technology will have begun to dramatically change our appearance.

Medicine will weaken our immune system and we will begin to appear more child-like.

Dr Curry said: "The report suggests that the future of man will be a story of the good, the bad and the ugly.

H G Wells' Science Fiction novel The Time Machine (which was later adapted into two films - this picture is from the 2002 version) the human race has evolved into two species, the highly intelligent and wealthy Eloi...

...and the frightening, animalistic Morlock (as seen in the 1960 film version of the classic book)

"And so it goes," as another, far better writer than he and I often said.

I really hope that this is a spoof.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  15:55:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This guy apparently gets press attention for his HG Wells "hypothesis" about once a year, around Halloween. His training and background has nothing to do with the scientific study of either Morlocks or Eloi. As far as I've been able to determine, he's not performed any experiments in the field, either, nor observed his subjects in the wild.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/11/2007 15:56:01
Go to Top of Page

dv82matt
SFN Regular

760 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  18:54:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dv82matt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like the Daily Mail is misrepresenting a science fiction essay as a science paper.

http://www.physorg.com/news112884130.html
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  18:58:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by dv82matt

Looks like the Daily Mail is misrepresenting a science fiction essay as a science paper.

http://www.physorg.com/news112884130.html
Well, that's a relief. Not so comforting to know how The Mail presented this as actual science, though.

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  06:05:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Racial differences will be a thing of the past as interbreeding produces a single coffee-coloured skin tone.

Pitch black? I find that hardly unlikely...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  06:07:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was hoping for that green tea skin, myself.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  06:30:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the Morlock must have more going for him than the Eloi. His girlfriend looks like she's enjoying the backrub and the Eloi, who makes me check to be sure my pistol's loaded, doesn't even have a girlfriend.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  06:41:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Come on, this must be a joke.

That said, it's not unlikely there will be speciation in the future of humanity. It's not exactly uncommon with life. Of course, extinction is much more common...

Just some thoughts on possible evolutionary futures... Humanity today, as far as I know, has no reproductively isolated population, so speciation is not very likely. But is this likely to stay the case?

I for one fantasize about a space faring future humanity which would almost certainly guarantee reproductive isolation. And with the variety of new environments our children might populate, any number of new species might evolve.

Transhumanists fantasize about post-humanity which would take any number of forms from the highly geneticly engineered to the cybernetic borg-like monstrosity. Or both. There's certainly speciation in their future.

The pessimists who expect the collapse of global civilizition due to rampant environmental decay or some other catastrophe can also expect many reproductively isolated pockets of surviving humanity. And depending how long the new dark age lasts, you might end up with new species.

Any scenarios I've missed?

-Chaloobi

Edited by - chaloobi on 11/12/2007 06:44:06
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  09:11:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

...the Eloi, who makes me check to be sure my pistol's loaded, doesn't even have a girlfriend.
Really, why is it that so many scifi movies assume that our more "evolved" descendants will be leather freaks or PVC fetishists? Is it just wishful thinking?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  09:23:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

...the Eloi, who makes me check to be sure my pistol's loaded, doesn't even have a girlfriend.
Really, why is it that so many scifi movies assume that our more "evolved" descendants will be leather freaks or PVC fetishists? Is it just wishful thinking?
I think that covers it. Or they cynically pander to leather freaks & the PVC crowd (I'm not sure what that is. Are there clothes & paraphernalia made from PVC?).

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  10:06:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it just wishful thinking?
Yes, I second that.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  10:31:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the Morlock must have more going for him than the Eloi. His girlfriend looks like she's enjoying the backrub and the Eloi, who makes me check to be sure my pistol's loaded, doesn't even have a girlfriend.
Come on, Filthy, that Morlock is either you getting revved up for another hideous act of perversion or your identical twin, Stinky, who is well known to have more than double your number of rape genes. You're just pissed off that Golden Boy caught you in the act of molesting his wife! How the hell did you manage to shave the tentacles off your face in a feeble attempt to look presentable before comitting another sodomy?
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  11:31:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Or projecting...

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  12:12:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck
or your identical twin, Stinky, who is well known to have more than double your number of rape genes.
Technically, if they are identical twins, their genes ought to be identical as well and so they should both have the same number of 'rape genes.'

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  12:48:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

(I'm not sure what that is. Are there clothes & paraphernalia made from PVC?).
Yes, there are (not safe for work).

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  13:06:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

Come on, Filthy, that Morlock is either you getting revved up for another hideous act of perversion or your identical twin, Stinky, who is well known to have more than double your number of rape genes. You're just pissed off that Golden Boy caught you in the act of molesting his wife! How the hell did you manage to shave the tentacles off your face in a feeble attempt to look presentable before comitting another sodomy?
No, no, that's me. Stinky died in a freak opium accident when his pipe exploded in his face -- can't imagine how that came to pass.

She really did enjoy her back rub, and Golden Boy really respects the pistol.
Yes, there are (not safe for work).

Gracious!

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.