Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  05:38:36  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heads-up on tonight's PBS Nova program.
Looks like a good'en....
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/id/

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  07:17:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a note: Anyone looking at TV listings to see if this is playing on their local PBS station, it may just be listed as NOVA.

Thats how it shows up on mine, even on the detailed "info" my cable box usually provides on shows, same for the local PBS website. I had to click a semi-hidden hyperlink on the word NOVA in the online listing to get details.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  18:55:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
About halfway through the program now, and a thought
comes to mind...to paraphrase Al Pacino in 'Scarface'...
"We're going to bury those (creation) cockroaches."

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  18:58:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IT'S A FREAKIN' MIRACLE!!

For one of the few times in years I'm getting PBS! It's a little hazy and has a bit of static, but I'm watching an excellent program.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 11/14/2007 02:49:06
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  19:50:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The lard works in mysterious waves.

-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  20:06:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished watching it. Not bad at all. It covers most of the salient points, shows Behe floundering (Half! Photoshop that! Behe, half fish, half man, floundering in Dover!), very watchable.

I had heard, while the thing was going on, that Darwin's decendent was there, and that he was pretty much on the ID team. If that is actually the case then PBS edited the hell out of him to make him seem less than well disposed towards the ID side. Think I'm going to have to go read some more on him.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  20:08:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shoot! I still have to wait another hour for Nova to start...

Damn exit polls...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  20:21:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

I had heard, while the thing was going on, that Darwin's decendent was there, and that he was pretty much on the ID team. If that is actually the case then PBS edited the hell out of him to make him seem less than well disposed towards the ID side. Think I'm going to have to go read some more on him.
Matthew Chapman wrote 40 Days and 40 Nights: Darwin, Intelligent Design, God, OxyContin®, and Other Oddities on Trial in Pennsylvania. I'd never once heard that he was disposed towards ID.

Ah, no, he's definitely not an ID sorta guy.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  20:25:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Creationist propaganda! Hell if I can remember where I read that. I didn't really pay it much mind at the time except as an interesting, if odd, footnote.

Glad I learned something new out of this then!

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  20:32:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And may I just take a moment to wholeheartedly agree with Mr Chapman's debate proposal. I'd love to see the dems and repubs all facing a panel from the UCSUSA and answering questions about global warming, alternate energy, disease, stem cells, and government censorship of science.

I'd watch that twice!

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  20:39:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://atheistexperience.blogspot.com/
Our local Austin Atheist Community did a live blogspot on their site.

-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  21:22:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

Creationist propaganda! Hell if I can remember where I read that. I didn't really pay it much mind at the time except as an interesting, if odd, footnote.

Glad I learned something new out of this then!

He was interviewed by New Scientist earlier this year. I'm not a paid member, but the link is here. I may have a copy of the podcast archived at home though, I'll check when I get in tonight.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  21:54:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, now thats really odd. Because New Scientist is one of the popular science magazines that shows up in my mailbox every week. How did I miss that interview?

Huh.

Well now I really don't know where I heard he was on the ID side of the debate. Maybe some creationist website taking his comments about finding Behe an amiable person out of context.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  00:35:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent show. I posted over at Bad Astronomy that Mrs. Chip suggestion we both wear mousetrap tie clips in support of rational thought.

I like how they also revealed that in the background of creationism is this weird quest to wedge an authoritarian rule of our country. Science questions things and the creationists hate that. They favor an eventual unthinking obedience, disguised simply as an alternative "theory".

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  02:48:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I almost felt a little sorry for Behe. He got his ass rightously torn off and then handed back on a briar. Ouch!!

I expect the usual suspects will have something to say about it in the next couple of days, or perhaps they'll say nothing; the show was that good.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  04:18:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something I caught & liked was the brief clip of Pat Robertson telling Dover not to depend on God if there was a disaster. Well done, NOVA! It showed the world exactly what a vile & loathsome piece of human sewer-flotsam he is.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.