Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Politics
 Does the Death Penalty Deter Crime? New Studies.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  18:14:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ricky

There has to be some serious psychological testing for me to agree. And I would give at least a month of waiting time in case the criminal changes their mind.
No, they get the month (probably much longer) ahead of their agreement, along with any testing that might seem necessary to convince a jury. There'd be tons of procedural stuff to get through between the time the crook tells the D.A. that he's willing to die and the time the crook appears in court to make it official. During all of that, the self-condemned can just say "I changed my mind." Right up until the jury okays it. Hell, even as the jury re-enters the courtroom after making its decision, but before that decision is read into the public record. Make it official only with a gavel-pounding, and make sure it's videotaped with at least three cameras. If there's any dispute, go to the video to see whether the "W" sound in "WAIT!" came before or after the gavel hit wood.

After all, if anyone does start this process and then bails on it, it'll be back to business as usual. Before seeing the judge and jury, the D.A. still has to have the evidence in hand to prove guilt, so if the crook declines to die early on, no effort is wasted. If things have progressed to the judge-and-jury stage, then assume the allocution they have to make when they say, "I'll die for this crime" is a regular admission of guilt, and the judge can simply sentence the crook to prison or whatever seems appropriate.

And if someone changes his/her mind after the gavel falls, I'd say "tough." Once that point is reached, these people will literally have nothing to lose, and can start playing around, trying to game the system, wasting time and money. That's why they should be executed within hours. They will have had a zillion chances to say "I want to live" by this time.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2007 :  07:52:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All science and actual knoweldge aside, I don't think the Death Penalty deters crime. I know it doesn't deter me at any rate. When I decide not to murder someone, I'm never thinking about the death penalty. And I'm fairly typical, so the rest of the country is probably thinking along the same lines. Anyone here ever actually been deterred from murder by the Death Penalty?

-Chaloobi

Edited by - chaloobi on 11/27/2007 07:52:45
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2007 :  10:34:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many times. I often lay awake at night devising complex scenarios, but thoughts of the efficiency of former Treasury agents intrude and effectively deter the completion of the thought process.

Recently, I have directed my contemplation to possible methods of invalidation of USDHS employee's effectiveness (of a non-terminal nature) allowing the actualization of a yet to be finalized primary plan.

Any comments or assistance would be appreciated!
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2007 :  11:06:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking at the statistics, including the recidivism rate, the purpose of prison, and the death penalty is to lock up (and kill) poor people, especially young black and latino men.

It's also become big business, and keeps a lot of high paid lawyers and judges working.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2007 :  11:54:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

Many times. I often lay awake at night devising complex scenarios, but thoughts of the efficiency of former Treasury agents intrude and effectively deter the completion of the thought process.
Well then. I stand corrected.

The nice thing about the death penalty, as is being made increasingly evident by DNA evidence, far too often you don't actually have to have done the crime to get the sentence. Of course most often you have to be a minority to get that particular benefit. And I'm sure it's a benefit not limited to penalties of death, so I guess it's a non-issue.

-Chaloobi

Edited by - chaloobi on 11/27/2007 11:56:31
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.