New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Halcyon Dayz

Netherlands
27 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2007 :  14:40:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Halcyon Dayz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Robb
If I could control women I would make them think of the consequences before they have sex. If you have sex using contraception or not you need to understand that a child could be created and have the means to take care of the child.

You mean sex-ed.
Brilliant idea.

The only practical thing that can (and will) reduce the number of abortions.

There's a catch though...

An idea is not responsible for the people who believe in it. -- Don Marquis

"The universe is a strange, practically incomprehensible place. But that is how things are, and no amount of wishing that things are really the way we perceive them will change that." - The Black Cat
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2007 :  14:56:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I am not talking about rape at this time since it is a small
fraction of abortions.
But you were talking about showing ultrasounds to mothers and fathers, even though only a small fraction of abortions are performed at a time when they'd see anything vaguely human.
I am talking about a choice women make to have sex.
It takes two, Robb. Besides, an alarmingly large percentage of abortions are done on those who are young enough that we don't trust them to make good choices about drinking alcohol, so we say they cannot. They do anyway. To think that they're going to make better choices about sex, in light of all the evidence that they won't, is insane. To force them to live with the consequences of an act when we've determined that they can't be trusted to properly weigh the consequences of similar acts is just as insane.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2007 :  18:42:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It might also be pointed out that males, especially though not exclusively young males, sometimes force sex upon a young female, and only afterward get her to "consent." A young person is very suggestible. This tends to blur the lines of what could have, legitimately, been reported as rape. So, in effect, there are probably many more young teens who become pregnant by rape than the statistics may suggest.

The idea of requiring that a biological father (who may be the rapist or seducer of a vulnerable teen) view an ultrasound of a fetus prior to an abortion is ridiculous and offensive. The choice of what to do should be solely that of the expectant mother. Likewise, any viewing of the fetus by anyone besides the physician should be at the voluntary discretion of the potential mother. The idea of the state forcing a seduced or even raped girl or woman to let someone peer into her womb is completely repugnant.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2007 :  22:22:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Does anybody support that mothers and fathers should be required to see an ultrasound of the fetus before they can perform an abortion?

No, I do not.

It is an unnecessary medical procedure which

1) has no medical benifit for the mother or child
2) Is not usually done before the 4th month of pregnancy
3) Ties up valuable diagnostic equipment for no good medical reason
4) inflicts additional financial pain on a subject who is most likely economically disadvantaged

Ultrasounds are used for more than just examining fetuses. They are also used to break up kidney stones, image tumors, and examine hernias in an non-evasive way. Yet you want to tie up this equipment to forward some point.

So, you want me to support an unnecessary medical procedure just to elicit some emotional trauma on someone who already has come to a decision. Of course, this also ignores where the father is unknown, cases of rape and incest, and where the procedure is necessary to save the mothers life.

You also realize that the fetus in the first trimester is about the shape of a peanut.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2007 :  06:53:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd rather spend the money to educate young adults about sex, including the types of birth control and how to use them. This will do more to reduce the number of abortions than any other emotional platitudes that are currently in use, and the one suggested here.

Education and information with tempered guidance is always the better path. "Just say no" and other emotional platitudes are a joke and only work in la-la land where other mythical creatures exist.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 12/01/2007 06:54:14
Go to Top of Page

Halcyon Dayz

Netherlands
27 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2007 :  08:34:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Halcyon Dayz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And there is the catch...

The same people that want to outlaw abortion would get their panties in a bunch
if someone tried to introduce REAL sex education.

An idea is not responsible for the people who believe in it. -- Don Marquis

"The universe is a strange, practically incomprehensible place. But that is how things are, and no amount of wishing that things are really the way we perceive them will change that." - The Black Cat
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  01:24:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not going to answer me Robb?

Well, thats not suprising.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  08:10:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While we are at it, we could tell the people that God is the biggest abortionist of all. 25% of all human eggs are spontaneously aborted before the 6th week. In woman over 45, 75% of all pregnancies end in a spontaneous abortion. There are many reasons why this happens, but sometimes it happens for no reason that we know of. Therefore, God did it.

[source]

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  12:46:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Halcyon Dayz

If I could control women I would make them think of the consequences before they have sex. If you have sex using contraception or not you need to understand that a child could be created and have the means to take care of the child.

You mean sex-ed.
Brilliant idea.

The only practical thing that can (and will) reduce the number of abortions.

There's a catch though...
Yes I do support sex education. But I would like to be present during the teaching, something the elementary school my daughter goes to does not allow.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  12:51:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

But you were talking about showing ultrasounds to mothers and fathers, even though only a small fraction of abortions are performed at a time when they'd see anything vaguely human.
Does it matter what it looks like?

It takes two, Robb. Besides, an alarmingly large percentage of abortions are done on those who are young enough that we don't trust them to make good choices about drinking alcohol, so we say they cannot. They do anyway. To think that they're going to make better choices about sex, in light of all the evidence that they won't, is insane. To force them to live with the consequences of an act when we've determined that they can't be trusted to properly weigh the consequences of similar acts is just as insane.
What is insane is that in some area's of the country girls who you admit do not make sound judgements do not have to inform their caregivers (the people responsible for thier welfare) that they are going to have an abortion.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Edited by - Robb on 12/03/2007 12:52:15
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  12:53:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

Does anybody support that mothers and fathers should be required to see an ultrasound of the fetus before they can perform an abortion?

No, I do not.

It is an unnecessary medical procedure which

1) has no medical benifit for the mother or child
2) Is not usually done before the 4th month of pregnancy
3) Ties up valuable diagnostic equipment for no good medical reason
4) inflicts additional financial pain on a subject who is most likely economically disadvantaged

Ultrasounds are used for more than just examining fetuses. They are also used to break up kidney stones, image tumors, and examine hernias in an non-evasive way. Yet you want to tie up this equipment to forward some point.

So, you want me to support an unnecessary medical procedure just to elicit some emotional trauma on someone who already has come to a decision. Of course, this also ignores where the father is unknown, cases of rape and incest, and where the procedure is necessary to save the mothers life.

You also realize that the fetus in the first trimester is about the shape of a peanut.

Yes, thanks for the information. It would not have to be the actual fetus. It could be a picture of one at how many weeks they are at.

Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  12:55:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by pleco

I'd rather spend the money to educate young adults about sex, including the types of birth control and how to use them. This will do more to reduce the number of abortions than any other emotional platitudes that are currently in use, and the one suggested here.

Education and information with tempered guidance is always the better path. "Just say no" and other emotional platitudes are a joke and only work in la-la land where other mythical creatures exist.
I agree somewhat but what about education about the emotional aspects of sex along with the contraception and how to use them?

Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  12:58:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

Of course, this also ignores where the father is unknown, cases of rape and incest, and where the procedure is necessary to save the mothers life.
These cases constitute < 2% of all abortion cases. About 98% are due to a personal choice of some kind. These special cases should get special consideration.

Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  13:16:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

Not going to answer me Robb?

Well, thats not suprising.

Surprise!

Why, Robb, do you think it is ok to mandate something like this when the images and data are freely available to those who want them?

I should clarify what I am saying. I am not saying take a new sonogram but show a picture of a sonogram of a typical fetus at how many weeks the mother is along.

That said, It is the same thing as when a county mandates a gang member tour the morgue as part of their sentence to show them exactly what they are involved with. I am NOT advocating showing any aborted matter.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  13:43:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Does it matter what it looks like?
Absolutely. What's the point of showing the parents a dot? If they didn't already know what's going on, they wouldn't be seeking an abortion.
What is insane is that in some area's of the country girls who you admit do not make sound judgements do not have to inform their caregivers (the people responsible for thier welfare) that they are going to have an abortion.
As soon as all such girls are protected from being beaten (or worse) for making a natural mistake, we can have this discussion.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.