Religion
 "Zion Oil" getting into hot water?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2007 :  12:49:44  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahh,this is pure gold; black gold, to be precise.

Back on April 1 last year, Hal Lindsey used his WorldNetDaily column to promote shares in Zion Oil:

<snip!>

Lindsey then did some bizarre Biblical exegesis to prove that there is oil in Israel, and concluded:

At this moment, Zion Oil and Gas is selling stock in order to finish its first well. It is right in the center of an area that geologically looks promising. I believe the main reason others have failed to find oil is that they did not drill deep enough.

Investment in oil exploration is always a big gamble. But, I believe this is a gamble worth taking for the sake of Israel. Besides, I believe God's Word is giving some pretty good clues here.

But wait!
What Lindsey didn#8217;t mention was that one of the directors of Zion Oil was Ralph DeVore, who had an 18.1% share in the company. As I noted in an update to my original blog entry on this, not only is DeVore also a director of Hal Lindsey#8217;s ministries, he is actually Lindsey#8217;s cousin #8211; and so Hal was using his WND column to puff his cousin#8217;s shares, without disclosing his family#8217;s interest.

Only now, DeVore has resigned. The reasons? Just read the link. Basically, he's a wackjob.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  06:13:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
God hid clues in the bible to a hidden cache of oil in modern Isreal? And people are investing their money based on this? Wow.

-Chaloobi

Edited by - chaloobi on 12/06/2007 09:25:34
Go to Top of Page

Risendemonx

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  11:11:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Risendemonx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hrm, As a geologist/geophysicist, I've always told creationists that they should just use their "theories" to go look for oil like I do. Never actually thought somebody would take that seriously...

Wow. What saddens me, is that wells aren't cheap. A hundred thousand dollars, okay- I could see some religious nut getting that much to do this. But each well he drills has got to be on the order of ten million dollars a piece or more! That's definitely not chump change. He has to have some rich, gullible investors to do this, that's for sure!

EDITED: to fix my bad spelling

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry, and is generally considered to have been a bad move."
--
Douglas Adams, The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Edited by - Risendemonx on 12/06/2007 11:53:34
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  20:02:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm kind of delighted to see these evangelical idiots pouring their money down holes in the ground, instead of investing in churches, Creation museums, and cheaply-bought politicians. It's a shame they are far too crazy to do anything useful with their cash, though.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 12/06/2007 20:07:47
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  06:38:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

I'm kind of delighted to see these evangelical idiots pouring their money down holes in the ground, instead of investing in churches, Creation museums, and cheaply-bought politicians. It's a shame they are far too crazy to do anything useful with their cash, though.
Don't fret, someone's benefitting from it. Consider that these oil prospectors are working and at the same time will not in any way end up aggravating global warming. It's like a subsidy....

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

Risendemonx

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  08:02:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Risendemonx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by chaloobi

Don't fret, someone's benefitting from it. Consider that these oil prospectors are working and at the same time will not in any way end up aggravating global warming. It's like a subsidy....

that's a good way to think about it, Chaloobi
Not that oil prospecters are hurting for work right now

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry, and is generally considered to have been a bad move."
--
Douglas Adams, The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Go to Top of Page

crusadex

6 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  08:34:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send crusadex a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/jan2009/gb20090119_996007.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index+-+temp_global+business
Go to Top of Page

crusadex

6 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  08:42:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send crusadex a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Risendemonx

Hrm, As a geologist/geophysicist, I've always told creationists that they should just use their "theories" to go look for oil like I do. Never actually thought somebody would take that seriously...

Wow. What saddens me, is that wells aren't cheap. A hundred thousand dollars, okay- I could see some religious nut getting that much to do this. But each well he drills has got to be on the order of ten million dollars a piece or more! That's definitely not chump change. He has to have some rich, gullible investors to do this, that's for sure!

EDITED: to fix my bad spelling

Why are you sad.People blow money on dumber investments for illogical reasons.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  08:45:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hiya Crusadex and welcome to SFN! Nice timely find there...

FYI please use the hyperlink feature for long links, they tend to screw with some peoples browsers
http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/faq.asp#hyperlink
Edited by - BigPapaSmurf on 02/13/2009 08:45:53
Go to Top of Page

yosalov

Israel
2 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  16:02:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit yosalov's Homepage Send yosalov a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zion Oil & Gas (ZN) A Hope and a Prayer

A Man on a Mission, what began as a dream in 1985, John Brown founded Zion Oil in April 2000 along with fellow investors and associates. Culminating in an IPO in December 2006 with shares closing at $7.00 per share, which raised over 3 million dollars for the company. Since that time it has been a roller coaster ride with false reports soaring the hopes and stock of the company only to have them crash back down. Since that initial IPO of $7.00 a share the roller coaster ride for Zion Oil and its investors has been predominantly on the downside. Reaching heights of over 16 dollars a share the stock has now been chronically languishing at under $5.00 a share leaving many bright eyed and faithful "investors" wondering if the dream has become a nightmare. Truth is most of those people where probably not "investors" in the classic sense of looking at the company fundamentals since if they did all they would see is big operating losses since Zion Oil and gas is an exploration company drilling for Oil in Israel.

This investment and the investors of Zion Oil as a whole would not fit the profile of people who would invest in such risky proposition as drilling for oil in Israel or anywhere since most of these exploration companies never find anything but mud and rock. So what turns a conservative blue chip investor buy high risk oil and gas exploration stocks? Faith, and John Brown the founder and CEO of Zion Oil has been going from Church to Synagog preaching the gospel of oil. A simple look at a long term graph of Zion oil will show enormous price spikes of hundreds of percent virtually overnight representing the false hopes and false announcements of discovery like when they found some mud with oil on it at the end of the drill.
So if Zion oil is based on faith and not solid investment fundamentals, what will happen if the founder and ceo John Brown losses faith? or worse betrays his faith? THis is what has happened and John Brown founder and ceo of Zion Oil stock symbol ZN has been in rebellion to his own vision and faith and therefore now and for over two years has been the biggest obstacle for discovering oil by Zion Oil.

Do NOT invest in Zion Oil unless you contact John Brown yourself and ask him "if the spiritual person he is waiting for has come into his life yet?" I am being very serious and should not be too big of a surprise for anyone who knows about this company and how it and particularly John Brown has used scripture to raise money. Probably most of his Zion Oil money comes from "Believers" not "Investors"
I first contacted John Brown in August of 2008, I actually spoke to John himself

John Brown told me that he is waiting for a certain "super spiritual" person that will come into his life before the oil would flow. I announced to John that I knew the person he was looking for a man named Joseph from Egypt who was living in Jerusalem and had taken an interest in Zion Oil previous and rather than listening John according to my Outlook system deleted all my messages without reading them.
Zion Oil project is called the Joseph Project and I know the Joseph of that project whom John Brown said that he was lead to know spiritually to wait for this person.

Conclusion, Is it a fraud to keep back material information from investors that you know would affect their investing in your company? the answer is YES

a) Does John Brown know that he will not find oil until a certain condition is met according to his faith? the answer is YES

b) Does John Brown, CEO of Zion Oil (stock symbol ZN ) have material information that would keep many "believers" from investing? the answer is YES

c) Is John informing his investors or posted on his site the information he told me in 2008? the answer is NO

d) John according to his belief will not find oil until he meets a certain person named JOSEPH and John now refuses to meet him or acknowledge him therefore John Brown himself has become the biggest obstacle for Zion Oil to find oil and since then has wasted over 3 million of his investors money on big salaries and dry holes and that is what is on the pipe unless and until John acknowledges the Joseph that he has been waiting for these many years and will bring success to his project.

The Joseph I speak about is a real person and his information and life story is found here at www.yomtov.info
more information on this story can be found here at http://www.wix.com/zion_oil/zion-oil

or you may contact me the author at yosalov33(AT) yaho0.com

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  06:10:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had hope for you yosalov, but by the end of your post I felt that you were even wackier than your subject.

If I read correctly, you actually believe this guy has a magic oil finding God compass but he's holding out on his investors spirtually?

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  06:40:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also will any Joseph do, I know like 8 of em', maybe you can surprise him with like 100 Joe's, his head would probably explode from all the oil data coming into his skull!

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

yosalov

Israel
2 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2011 :  03:49:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit yosalov's Homepage Send yosalov a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

I had hope for you yosalov, but by the end of your post I felt that you were even wackier than your subject.

If I read correctly, you actually believe this guy has a magic oil finding God compass but he's holding out on his investors spirtually?

Sorry in long time replying, let me keep it simple, factual and legal. The law is as simple as A B C
a) Does John Brown know that he will not find oil until a certain condition is met according to his faith? the answer is YES

b) Does John Brown, CEO of Zion Oil (stock symbol ZN ) have material information that would keep many "believers" from investing? the answer is YES

c) Is John informing his investors or posted on his site the information he told me in 2008? the answer is NO

If the above conditions are met then Zion Oil, John Brown et al are in serious violation of the law. Now let me ask you a question, is it not true that John Brown is appealing to people's spirituality in order to invest in his stock? We know the answer and that means his holding out spiritually is a violation of the law since that is what he uses to take your money.
Find the solution to the world here www.kingdomofdavid.org I will not ask for your money but you may freely give.

also if you did not see the video about zion oil it is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6aKlpCSvfA

and the website with more info here: http://www.wix.com/zion_oil/zion-oil
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2011 :  11:51:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe this might be a job for Valiant Dancer?

(I will expect him to donate a 10% finder's fee to SFN...)

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 11/20/2011 11:55:35
Go to Top of Page

En Passant

1 Post

Posted - 03/16/2016 :  22:35:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send En Passant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whats up with all these frauds using religion.....Oh wait, nothing new.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2016 :  16:39:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Maybe this might be a job for Valiant Dancer?

(I will expect him to donate a 10% finder's fee to SFN...)

Well, I am a spiritual person and my first name is Joseph.

The problem is that I think John Brown is an assumed name. The most famous of the John Browns in American history was hanged after trying to foment a slave rebellion when he seized Harper's Ferry.

Apparently this would read better as

A) Does John Brown intent to make half-hearted stabs at drilling until he feels that someone with revealed knowledge (aka in Wicca, someone pulls it deep out of his or her ass and claims it's validity through Astral Instruction.) tells him where to dig? Obviously, the answer here is yes.

B) Does John Brown (if that is his real name) hide the whack-a-doodle premise of his company whilst raking in scads of cash to pay his staff while putting little effort out to find oil? Obviously the answer here is yes.

C) Does this not operate as a ponzi scheme whereby some twitchy investors may be paid or delayed in investigation of where the bulk of the money is going through failed wells? Kinda, yes.

And then yosalov lost me with an appeal for money. A religious money making scam to expose another religious money making scam.

10% might be donated. (How much is 10% of diddly over squat anyway?)

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds.