Xmas message from JC
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2007 :  14:15:39  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A christmas thought from he who started it all here!

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2007 :  19:25:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't know Jesus spoke with a British accent!

(Lame) humor aside, it seems clear that the Big Mover in Christianity was Paul.

Quick aside that perhaps should be cross-listed with the Books folder: does anyone know of any alternate history fiction where an author tries to answer the question of what would have happened had, for whatever reason (say, Paul sank out at sea en route to some church or other very early on) never gotten off the ground?

Perhaps there are just too many variables to consider. It would be an interesting project for someone to put together, if it hasn't been done...
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2007 :  19:35:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found that a little creepy. Not the message, just the way the cartoon Jesus's head moves and the way his voice sounds. Not very life like, but an imitation close enough to be weird. The message was interesting and accurate enough. But didn't exactly give me a chuckle or that warm and fuzzy feeling that I have come to expect from holiday greetings. Well, I guess bngbuck called it a "christmas thought". But really, I don't think it has anything to do with the holiday season.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 12/12/2007 19:36:12
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2007 :  01:27:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, marf, I'm sorry to disappoint your need for warmth and fuzziness. I think the truth is that neither Christ nor warm, fuzzy, Santa Clausism has much to do with Christmas as celebrated in our country. It is an overwhelmingly secular holiday consisting primarily of a retail marketing frenzy of advertising and spending. Our economy would likely collapse without it.

It is wrought of the soul and essence of the type of capitalism that this nation inherited from our European roots and, ever since defined in 1776 by Adam Smith in The Wealth of Nations, has developed into a economic system which is at once the pride and the damnation of American society. I don't think that our country could have become the dominant world power that it is without that system. But a heavy price for that dominance is paid by the economic stratification that capitalism forces upon the body politic. The distribution of wealth is terribly skewed today, to the degree that it calls for some measure of government control. Hopefully, we will see the pendulum reverse course following next year's elections.

It is odd that I should bite the hand that has fed me well. I have money today because of business enterprise and investment only possible in a capitalistic economy such as ours. Yet, I have travelled extensively both in this country and abroad; and I have seen despair, hopelessness, and human degradation due to poverty that is shattering to witness. I contribute pretty generously to a number of charitable causes, but I wouldn't give away half of my income and net worth and lower my standard of living accordingly, irrespective of the cause. Why? I really don't know! Selfish, I guess.

Pardon the digression. I posted the animation as an sample of available technology of the conversion of text to speech that, although in its infancy, shows promise for an interesting addition to the ever growing workbox of communication tools. For a price, you can animate your own photo or caricature with custom lip-synching of your own voice. Or animate celebrity photos/caricatures with any voice you can provide. Fun to play with!

And as the reverse side of the coin, I am currently experimenting with Dragon Naturally Speaking 9.0 speech-to-text in manuscript dictation. It is awkward at first, but as the system trains in recognition of your voice, you tend to develop a more natural dictation style and the words start to come as easily as typing! Next time perhaps I can construct an ontological argument for belief in christ utilizing fuzzy logic, deliver it in a warm and intimate style, and achieve that classic christmas greeting feeling!
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2007 :  11:21:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
bngbuck said:
It is an overwhelmingly secular holiday consisting primarily of a retail marketing frenzy of advertising and spending.

Absolutely.

That description fits most US holidays too. Its all about the money!

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2007 :  11:46:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

bngbuck said:
It is an overwhelmingly secular holiday consisting primarily of a retail marketing frenzy of advertising and spending.

Absolutely.

That description fits most US holidays too. Its all about the money!
Sort of. I mean, The 4th of July is secular, and there is a lot of advertising for it. But I would say that it "consists primarily" of that. There is more too it. Obviously if various grocery stores know I'm going to grill hot dogs and burgers and have lots of beer, they're going to market that. I've put equal effort and mental energy into some birthday parties in the past, but since Wegmans doesn't know the date of my friend's birthday (and since it's just 5 or 6 people), there wasn't quite the same blitz.

But true-- if Christmas weren't about the gift exchange, it wouldn't rank nearly as high in terms of cultural significance in the modern age. But when many retailers run in the red until the final month of the year, you can understand the urgency expressed in the "marketing frenzy"!

And Valentine's Day is the definition of retail marketing frenzy!!
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2007 :  05:28:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck
And as the reverse side of the coin, I am currently experimenting with Dragon Naturally Speaking 9.0 speech-to-text in manuscript dictation. It is awkward at first, but as the system trains in recognition of your voice, you tend to develop a more natural dictation style and the words start to come as easily as typing!

I tried out Dragon myself, but grew tired of it. Mainly because I couldn't get the stupid program to accept that I have a Brittish accent.
You say tomato and I say tomato...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.