Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2007 :  22:06:06  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm getting so sick of being part of a group (atheists) that is still not within reach of mainstream political correctness and a common sense of equal respect. Can you imagine the pope saying this about Jews?

Atheism has led to some of the “greatest forms of cruelty and violations of justice” known to mankind, the Pope said yesterday.

He also said that humanity would not be saved by scientific progress or political revolution, but only in the hope offered by Christianity.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article2977564.ece

This comic pretty much sums up my feelings.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 12/13/2007 22:08:34

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  02:37:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with your sense of alarm, Marf. When the Pope (THE infallible friggin' POPE!) says something like this, billions listen. Some idiots who wouldn't have otherwise done so will persecute atheists, some may even injure them. The "target designation" by an authority figure can kill, even when that was not intended.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  04:05:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Merely another set of papal lies. I haven't researched it, but if I were a gamblin' man, and I am, I'd wager that atheists have been satistically responsible for the least amount of antisocial behavior. Because if he thinks that all of the peoples under Stalin and Pol Pot, et al., were atheists, he is sadly deluded.

Pope Benny should study the history of his own mega-cult and it's Protastant clone(s) before he accuses others of infamey.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  04:12:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mooner wrote:
I agree with your sense of alarm, Marf. When the Pope (THE infallible friggin' POPE!) says something like this, billions listen.
Papal infallibility doesn't mean that just anything the pope says in infallible. He has to declare it, and in those moments he is supposedly speaking for God. This is something done very rarely. These statements about atheists were from pope. Of course it is a common misconception even among Catholics that the pope himself is infallible, and certainly you are right that merely his stature as pope could be a huge influence on a lot of people, and bad for a lot of atheists. Especially among the poor and less educated.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Edited by - marfknox on 12/14/2007 04:13:36
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  05:59:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

... Especially among the poor and less educated.
About this time 4 or 5 years ago I was sitting in a salon getting my hair cut. In this salon a couple of the employees were Asian, could have been vietnamese. A customer making polite chit chat which went something like this:

Customer: "Are your ready for Christmass?"
Employee: "No, I don't celebrate Christmas."
Customer: "Don't you believe in Jesus?"
Employee: "The Bible doesn't say when Jesus was born."

The customer was left in stunned silence. If she knew this, then her reaction betrayed that she did. To me it boils down to a lifetime of being told what to believe about the contents of the Bible and your faith.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  07:31:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Asking an employee who is likely to have a non-Western and non-Christian heritage if they believe in Jesus doesn't sound like polite chit chat to me.

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  07:33:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hereby denounce the Pope.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  07:47:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He didnt say anything about anuminists, so im in the clear!

Really though, would you expect anything less from the George W. of Popes.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  09:01:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Gorgo

I hereby denounce the Pope.
This Pope, we were warned, was going to be more conservative than his predecessor. That said, what he said about atheists is stupid. But continuing to support such wrong-headed doctrines/approaches to contraception is down right murderous in this age of HIV infection and other STD's.

Screw the Pope…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

marduk

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  09:06:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send marduk a Yahoo! Message Send marduk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
is he likely to denounce the Nazi party anytime soon ?

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  09:11:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Screw the Pope.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  09:33:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

He didnt say anything about anuminists, so im in the clear!

Really though, would you expect anything less from the George W. of Popes.
Heh, he had nothing to say about devout Pastaferians, either.

Maybe I should join up and then the Pope would look upon me with favor.

Ah, screw him. It's more trouble than his approval is worth.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  20:01:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

Asking an employee who is likely to have a non-Western and non-Christian heritage if they believe in Jesus doesn't sound like polite chit chat to me.
The customer was 60 year old black woman who I suspect had been a devout christian for most of those years. I also suspect that the employee clearly not being from this country never entered the customers mind. I also failed to mention that the 5 or so minutes of conversation prior to this exchange had been polite chit chat.

I do agree with you about the Jesus question. I brought it up only because I was fascinated by the response and then the reaction. Had to be, I can still remember this from 4 or 5 years ago, but can't recall what my wife asked me to do tomorrow just 30 minutes ago.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  22:05:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Screw the Pope…
No way I'd do it without a condom, and... well... you know what the Pope says about those.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

marduk

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2007 :  18:48:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send marduk a Yahoo! Message Send marduk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
why is he worried anyway, as abject sinners in his eyes they should be going straight to Hell, as passing judgement on others is a mortal sin then he'll be going there right along with them.

I'm running the coach tour to Hell by the way if anyones interested I'm still looking for a driver.

;)

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2007 :  04:24:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
moakley wrote:
The customer was 60 year old black woman who I suspect had been a devout christian for most of those years. I also suspect that the employee clearly not being from this country never entered the customers mind. I also failed to mention that the 5 or so minutes of conversation prior to this exchange had been polite chit chat.
Ah, I see. Funny how things can seem out of context.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.