General Discussion
 Monkies Can Add Like US College Students
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2007 :  12:57:37  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heard this on NPR then saw the news story and I had a couple thoughts... First, I love monkeys. Second, the research sheds light on the huge advantages given by spoken and written language. I love words too, and numbers to a lesser extent.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071218/sc_nm/chimps_math_dc;_ylt=AgvPJcAk5j5eQH62dZyQ0DshANEA

Monkeys and college students as good at mental math

By Julie Steenhuysen

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Monkeys performed about as well as college students at mental addition, U.S. researchers said on Monday in a finding that suggests nonverbal math skills are not unique to humans.

The research from Duke University follows the finding by Japanese researchers earlier this month that young chimpanzees performed better than human adults at a memory game.

Prior studies have found non-human primates can match numbers of objects, compare numbers and choose the larger number of two sets of objects.

"This is the first study that looked at whether or not they could make explicit decisions that were based on mathematical types of calculations," said Jessica Cantlon, a cognitive neuroscience researcher at Duke, whose work appeared in the Public Library of Science journal PLoS Biology (www.plosbiology.org).

"It shows when you take language away from a human, they end up looking just like monkeys in terms of their performance," Cantlon said in a telephone interview.

Her study pitted the monkey math team of Boxer and Feinstein -- two female macaque monkeys named for U.S. senators Barbara Boxer and Dianne Feinstein of California -- with 14 Duke University students.

"We had them do math on the fly," Cantlon said.

The task was to mentally add two sets of dots that were briefly flashed on a computer screen. The teams were asked to pick the correct answer from two choices on a different screen.

The humans were not allowed to count or verbalize as they worked, and they were told to answer as quickly as possible. Both monkeys and humans typically answered within 1 second.

And both groups fared about the same.

Cantlon said the study was not designed to show up Duke University students. "I think of this more as using non-human primates as a tool for discovering where the sophisticated human mind comes from," she said.

The researchers said the findings shed light on the shared mathematical abilities in humans and non-human primates and shows the importance of language -- which allows for counting and more advanced calculations -- in the evolution of math in humans.

"I don't think language is the only thing that differentiates humans from non-human primates, but in terms of math tasks, it is probably the big one," she said.

As for the teams, both were paid. Boxer and Feinstein got their favorite reward: a sip of Kool-Aid soft drink. As for the students, they got $10 each -- enough for a beer or two.

(Editing by Sandra Maler)

-Chaloobi

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2007 :  18:56:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL! That's awesome.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2007 :  20:57:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also read recently that their memory was better (and this may have been an SFN thread). That is, when you had lights flash in a certain order (i.e. Simon Says), the chimps could repeat the order better and faster than humans. (See here.)
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 12/18/2007 20:58:09
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2007 :  06:58:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Language is so huge - it acts like a surrogate memory and allows us to perfect our mathematics. It allowed culture to develop as a phenomena separate from ourselves as individuals, almost taking on an emergant existance separate from the individuals that make up it's tiny parts. Its relationship to individual humans is analagous to the relationship of mind to neurons.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

recurve boy
Skeptic Friend

Australia
53 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2007 :  07:25:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send recurve boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not surprised. After 4 years of university level math, I can't add either. On the other hand I could build a basic calculator with easy to get parts to do it for me. And I can integrate. Let's see a monkey do that! :P
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2007 :  09:16:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by recurve boy

I'm not surprised. After 4 years of university level math, I can't add either. On the other hand I could build a basic calculator with easy to get parts to do it for me. And I can integrate. Let's see a monkey do that! :P
Can you do it without language?

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.