Pseudoscience
 Skepticial Science
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rain

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  15:23:04  Show Profile  Visit rain's Homepage Send rain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to expose skepticism as bad science. Since when does being automatically doubtful = scientific? God bless you.

"...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact period let alone with the words 'Made by evolution.'" - Incredibly Retarded Quotes Refuted

"I'm skeptical of skeptics because they think being doubtful is some magical evidence rather than contentious bias." - me

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  15:47:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To do science properly, one must be skeptical, even of one's own work.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

dv82matt
SFN Regular

760 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  18:06:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dv82matt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by rain

I'd like to expose skepticism as bad science. Since when does being automatically doubtful = scientific? God bless you.
Although the word "skeptical" is commonly used as a synonym for "doubtful", doubt is just the starting point. Skepticism is not just a state of mind (doubt) but also a process. In cases where there is convincing evidence in favor of a belief refusing to move away from doubt is actually contrary to the process of skepticism.

The process of skepticism, not simply the state of mind (doubt), is what should be emphasised. Independant of the reasons for it, doubt is no more a virture than belief is. If I doubt the existence of gravity I am just as wrong as if I believe in the tooth fairy.
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  19:32:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Absolute certainty, (blindly believing in religious or politically motivated anecdotal views) instead of healthy doubt, (fostered by critical thinking,) was the main avenue to the holocaust.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  21:37:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
rain wrote:
I'd like to expose skepticism as bad science.
Okay, when did you plan on doing that? Or were you merely telling us something you'd like to do but don't plan to do?

Since when does being automatically doubtful = scientific?
Since never. Also, since skepticism is not being "automatically doubtful", should I assume this sentence is a nonsequiter?

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 12/20/2007 21:38:08
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2007 :  22:28:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Skepticism' is both a word and a philosophy, but don't confuse the two. Someone who doubts that astronauts went to the Moon are skeptics.

They are also dickheads.

Those who don't accept the evidence for evolution are skeptical.

They are also dimwits.

People who think that Al Quaeda had nothing to do with 9/11 are skeptics.

____ ___ ____ ________. Fill in the blanks...

The philosophy is more complicated, but can be learned by those who are are open-minded and willing. Yes, I said open-minded, for skeptics are actually more open-minded than those who only think of one answer to each question.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2007 :  00:42:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Skepticism isn't science at all, although it includes an outlook and techniques that both aid scientific work, and are derived in part from it.

Others have already corrected your false premise that skepticism equals automatic doubt.

I would prefer any blessing from God be delivered to me, for once in my sixty-two years, by the Deity Him/Her/Itself, thank you, rain.

That would make this atheist stand up and pay attention. But yet another "blessing" (or curse) from some fellow hairless ape who claims they are appointed to issue blessings in God's stead simply doesn't impress me as anything but empty words, the ravings of the delusional, or dishonesty.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 12/30/2007 00:44:02
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2007 :  21:10:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rain.....

What is your intent here, Rain? You have started four threads with provocative questions or statements, have received responses from a variety of members, and you have not posted again on any of your threads.

It is rather easy to deduce from the content of what you have posted and from reactions to your blog - (which I have been unable to bring up from the link on your profile) - that you are full of religious fundamentalism, and desperately need to empty your colon! If I am wrong, please correct. If not, you will certainly find aperients here!

But what are you trying to do? Drop a little turd of religious crap every few days, run away, and from a distance, watch people sniff it, enjoy a frisson of spirituality, and then repeat the whole pitiful performance?

You want to "expose skepticism as bad science" but you obviously know nothing about skepticism or science, or you would not make such a nonsensical statement. Rephrase that nonsense into a coherent thought or two, express it or ask a question, and have the guts to stick around and defend whatever it is you are trying to say.

If you keep this up very long, you will be perceived as a "troll", which is understood in these parts to be a creature to be exposed, attacked, and ultimately eliminated unless she eventually brings something of value to the table.

A lot of folks here will walk on water, if you will make it rain, Rain!

Edited by - bngbuck on 12/30/2007 21:16:09
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2007 :  00:05:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, he is definitely a troll. Of the "hit and run" variety.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds.