Let's get ready to rumble
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2007 :  08:50:11  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks to commenter 'mk' on Pharyngula, I learned of this story:
Priests brawl at Jesus' birthplace

BETHLEHEM, West Bank (AP) -- Greek Orthodox and Armenian priests attacked each other with brooms and stones inside the Church of the Nativity as long-standing rivalries erupted in violence during holiday cleaning on Thursday.
Bloodshed in the church. What would Jesus do?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

Risendemonx

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2007 :  09:13:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Risendemonx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any perceived encroachment on one group's turf can touch off vicious feuds.

But the clean-up turned ugly after some of the Orthodox faithful stepped inside the Armenian church's section, touching off a scuffle between about 50 Greek Orthodox and 30 Armenians.

I have to say that this sounds a bit like gang warfare- fighting because one gang stepped onto another gang's turf. Normally, i'd have thought better of old church guys.

Hmm... Take a look at this though- On a whim, I looked around at the wiki article on gangs. It sounds eerily close to what we've come to understand about organized religion. Not making a formal argument that religions are gangs, just comparing the two

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry, and is generally considered to have been a bad move."
--
Douglas Adams, The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2007 :  11:05:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Same God. Same Savior. <<shrug>>

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2007 :  11:58:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gangs all gussied up in costume & dogma; not the same as tattoos, perhaps, but whaddahell?

Says I, as long as they're beating up each other, they're leaving the rest of us alone. Jesus would likely issue 'em knuckle-dusters.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

emsby
Skeptic Friend

76 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2007 :  12:05:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send emsby a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is what happens when you have a bunch of repressed gay men holed up (ahem, no pun intended) in a church and they all want it cleaned and decorated in their own special way. There's gonna be some bitch-slapping every time.

Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, I.
Edited by - emsby on 12/28/2007 12:06:27
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2007 :  18:22:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Thanks to commenter 'mk' on Pharyngula, I learned of this story:
Priests brawl at Jesus' birthplace

BETHLEHEM, West Bank (AP) -- Greek Orthodox and Armenian priests attacked each other with brooms and stones inside the Church of the Nativity as long-standing rivalries erupted in violence during holiday cleaning on Thursday.
Bloodshed in the church. What would Jesus do?

Put $50 on the Greek Orthodox priests. They're tough.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2007 :  22:07:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

Tiny odds, 'cause they outnumbered the Armenians by 66%.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2007 :  13:33:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

Tiny odds, 'cause they outnumbered the Armenians by 66%.
But, if it turned out the Armenians have all the stones, and the Greeks just brooms, the technical advantages of the Armenians should eclipse the Greeks' superior numbers and pathetic broom weapons.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2007 :  13:56:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'd go with ranged weapons when coming to a brawl, every time.
Once I'm out of ammo I can always turn tail and run, and I'd have a head start. And my body woudn't be aching from the hits.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2007 :  15:47:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps the Greeks should employ a Trojan Jesus; they would be able to gain the upper broom.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2007 :  00:23:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or maybe some sports fan could smuggle a crate of hand grenades to each side. The next brawl would be even more interesting. I have a feeling this would make more memorable news, and maybe even improve the world a little.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2007 :  02:57:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by pleco

Perhaps the Greeks should employ a Trojan Jesus; they would be able to gain the upper broom.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.