Artists Rights
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  18:10:51  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure this will spark much of a discussion, but in light of the sort of people that hang around here, and some recent discussions, I thought people might at least be interested.

Cory Doctorow: Artist Rights (link to article)

Sure, it's fine to talk about the artist's rights to get paid, to control copying, to have their work attributed to them and be fairly edited, but all that stuff is just the appetizer. There's one artist's right that's more important than all the rest combined: the right to free expression

We live in an age in which more people can express themselves in more ways to more audiences than ever before. The majority of this expression is intimate, personal maunderings — the half-spelled, quarter-grammatical newspeak adorning MySpace and Facebook pages.

Could these sites be remade to prevent infringement, and if they could, what would that mean for free expression?

I am not an artist by almost any definition, however the discussion interests me greatly, especially as a rabid consumer of on-line content, some artistic, most not.

Cory Doctorow is quite a good speaker. This shouldn't be a surprise, I guess, as he's a journalist in various formats and also an (now more or less full time) author.

It's a little dated now, but I remember enjoying this one from 2004, when he was acting as the European Affairs Coordinator for the Electronic Frontier Foundation. It's only 17 minutes, and a good illustration of his passion and understanding for the subject matter. He's a lot less dry than most of the tech's I listen to regularly.

John's just this guy, you know.

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  12:00:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've often wondered if there's anything to keep a writer from mining My Space type sites for story ideas. Let's say a love sick My Spacer writes about some argument she had with her boyfriend taking care to include lots of detail and so on then 6 months later it shows up as a key scene in a lovey-dovey short story in Red Book or something. Is this theft? Is there recourse? How is it different from what writers have done forever - observing their surroundings, including listening in on conversations, taking notes and using this as the kernel for drama?

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  12:05:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by chaloobi

I've often wondered if there's anything to keep a writer from mining My Space type sites for story ideas. Let's say a love sick My Spacer writes about some argument she had with her boyfriend taking care to include lots of detail and so on then 6 months later it shows up as a key scene in a lovey-dovey short story in Red Book or something. Is this theft? Is there recourse? How is it different from what writers have done forever - observing their surroundings, including listening in on conversations, taking notes and using this as the kernel for drama?

This is a long way from stealing, even if they wrote a story about it you could still then re-write a peice inspired by it without theft. The line is vague though, once its on My Space this pretty much eliminates any debate as to the personal property rights of the individual, short of blatant copying.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.