Vaccine preservative banned, but autism reports up
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  19:35:16  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This news ought to demolish the dangerous anti-vax movement, but probably won't. Still, if someone you know is keeping their kids from vaccinations because of the fear of autism, get them to read the link!
LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Autism cases in California continued to climb even after a mercury-rich vaccine preservative that some people blame for the neurological disorder was removed from routine childhood shots, a new study found.

Researchers from the state Department of Public Health found the autism rate in children rose continuously during the 12-year study period from 1995 to 2007. The preservative thimerosal hasn't been used in childhood vaccines since 2001, but is used in some flu shots.

Doctors say the latest study adds to existing evidence refuting a link between thimerosal exposure and autism risk and should reassure parents that the disorder is not caused by vaccinations. If there was a risk, they said, autism rates should have dropped between 2004 and 2007.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/08/2008 02:21:43

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  08:11:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But the question remains - why the hell is the level of autisum rising. What is that about? Pretty scary actually, I know several couples with autistic children.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  08:30:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It could be so many things, the number of devices and chemicals we contact daily has risen exponentially since the 40's, it could be so many things or a combination of many.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Edited by - BigPapaSmurf on 01/18/2008 08:30:52
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  13:38:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by furshur

But the question remains - why the hell is the level of autisum rising. What is that about? Pretty scary actually, I know several couples with autistic children.
From what I've heard, the primary hypothesis is simply increased diagnosis.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  13:47:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.
Yeah, when I was in school, all the weird, slightly anti-social kids were all just considered weirdos, creeps, and goons. Now they're considered to be in the "autistic range." Same thing as relabeling the spazzes with ADHD. It's not that these types of kids never existed before, we just had different names for them. But no treatment options, so this push to diagnose is a good thing.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  14:23:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back in my day, we had lots of nerds. Now, they have been reclassified as geeks and billionaires. But there's still no cure.

Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  21:41:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I don't know Dave reading the link that mooner gave I certainly don't get that impression. I am not prone to jumping to conclusion but I find this autism increase quite disconcerting.

Oh and by the way.
Back in my day, we had lots of nerds. Now, they have been reclassified as geeks and billionaires. But there's still no cure.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  22:19:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The definition of the official diagnosis of autism has been changed in the last 20 years and gained official recognition.

So, many diagnoses of autism now would have been called something different even 10 years ago.

Also, the increased attention and expansion of the scope of the diagnosis has probably led to many borderline functional deficits (that years ago would have been ignored or caused no concern) being diagnosed as autism.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

recurve boy
Skeptic Friend

Australia
53 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  03:16:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send recurve boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

This news ought to demolish the dangerous anti-vax movement, but probably won't. Still, if someone you know is keeping their kids from vaccinations because of the fear of autism, get them to read the link!
LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Autism cases in California continued to climb even after a mercury-rich vaccine preservative that some people blame for the neurological disorder was removed from routine childhood shots, a new study found.

Researchers from the state Department of Public Health found the autism rate in children rose continuously during the 12-year study period from 1995 to 2007. The preservative thimerosal hasn't been used in childhood vaccines since 2001, but is used in some flu shots.

Doctors say the latest study adds to existing evidence refuting a link between thimerosal exposure and autism risk and should reassure parents that the disorder is not caused by vaccinations. If there was a risk, they said, autism rates should have dropped between 2004 and 2007.

Was there any real evidence to back the claim that the preservative was dangerous?

Thimerosol doesn't contain mercury. It has mercury atoms in it. I'm guessing as an ion. I can't remember all my high school chem but there are some obvious elements that can be very dangerous on their own, but harmless in other forms.

- Hydrogen
- Oxygen
- Sodium
- Chlorine
- Lithium
- Potassium

I am sure a chemist r biologist can tell us more.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  04:07:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To my knowledge, there is no evidence such small amounts of mercury compounds are dangerous. California's banning of Thimerosol seems to make sense to me nevertheless, if only to ally fears and thus keep people vaccinating their kids.

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  12:32:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
recurve asked:
Was there any real evidence to back the claim that the preservative was dangerous?

No.

And the studies conducted to investigate have found no link between vaccinations and autism.

The whole thing is angry parents looking for something/someone to blame instead of accepting the reality that bad shit sometimes happens that we have no control over.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  13:33:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

recurve asked:

No.

And the studies conducted to investigate have found no link between vaccinations and autism.

The whole thing is angry parents looking for something/someone to blame instead of accepting the reality that bad shit sometimes happens that we have no control over.

From this weeks Skeptic Summary my Evil Pick was:

VACCINES & AUTISM: Myths and Misconceptions

Good reading on this topic.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.