Election Fraud in New Hampshire?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2008 :  19:16:55  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got all excited when I heard that Dennis Kucinich put out a press release about suspected election fraud in NH that led to Clinton beating Obama. (Excited 'cause I much prefer Obama to Clinton for president.) Alas, after reading this well-written article in the Machinist which gives an overview of the issue, I find myself much more calm and disappointed.

http://machinist.salon.com/feature/2008/01/11/new_hampshire_vote/

HIGHLIGHTS:

Given these vulnerabilities, election-reform activists immediately began examining the results from New Hampshire, and over the past few days they've claimed to find evidence suggesting fraud. In particular, they say they've found significantly different results between the ballots counted by machine and the ballots counted by hand.

The most thorough analysis I've seen was performed by an anonymous supporter of Ron Paul. Of the votes that have been counted so far, Hillary Clinton beat Barack Obama in New Hampshire by 39.03 percent to 36.39 percent. The Ron Paulster's analysis shows that in machine-count areas, Clinton beat Obama by a better margin, 40.12 percent versus 35.76 percent. But in hand-counted areas, Obama beat Clinton by 38.76 percent to 34.70 percent.

Thankfully, few activists are saying that what they've seen proves fraud -- they're being far more cautious, asking only that someone should look into this phenomenon.
That's because everyone understands that there is a reasonable reason for why Obama would win the hand-count areas while Clinton would win the machine-count areas: Those places simply vote differently.

Last night I had a long discussion with Brad Friedman, who runs the election-reform news Web site Brad Blog. Over and over, he said, "My biggest concern here is that 80 percent of the vote is uncounted by any human being." His request is simple and straightforward: "Why not count the damn votes?"
He's right. Why not count the votes?
And thanks to Kucinich, that's what will likely happen now. It will probably take some time; weeks, if not months. But soon, we'll know what happened.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 01/13/2008 19:18:04

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  11:16:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've heard some discussion about a theory that race played a role in the difference between polls and voting. Race is such a sensitive issue, so the theory goes, that many white people didn't want to say, and explain to another person why, they were not voting for Obama. But in private, in the booth, they were much more willing not to vote for him. Apparently this is a common phenomenon in elections involving white vs. black candidates. Americans are very squirly about being labelled racist, since the price paid for that perception can be very high. So racist or not many people will apparently take the safe route and say they're voting for the black guy to the pollster but then end up voting for the white guy.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds.