Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 27

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  22:11:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah, and...

If there is an afterlife, and it resembles the one claimed by christianity, it is my deepest and most fervent desire to go to hell when I die. That way I'll never have to endure another moment in the presence of pretentious self righteous proselytizing assholes.

Besides, all the interesting people in history will be there.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  19:58:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Doomar

Some pride themselves that they fear no one. Such are fools that just haven't yet met their match. "But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him." Luke 12:5

Some fear men or certain men and cower to them, when they should not.
"28And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell." Matthew 10:28

Some have no fear of God.
"Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?" Matthew 23:33

Some things are so precious to people that like idols, they cling to them and even worship them.
9And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire. Matthew 23:15

Some just could care less about anyone but themselves, living the good life.
19There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day: 20And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores, 21And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores. 22And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried; 23And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. 24And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame. 25But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented. 26And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence. 27Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house: 28For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment. 29Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them. 30And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent. 31And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead. Luke 16:19-31

Some hate the light and call it superstition, but someone knew why: "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. 21But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God." John 3:18-21

"He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him." John 3:36

The end of God's wrath is hell. What awaits you on your current path?

"Repent and believe the good news!" "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 17For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved." John 3:16-17

Not interested in any of this? Please don't reply to this post.

Concerned about your soul? Re

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  05:37:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

Oh yeah, and...

If there is an afterlife, and it resembles the one claimed by christianity, it is my deepest and most fervent desire to go to hell when I die. That way I'll never have to endure another moment in the presence of pretentious self righteous proselytizing assholes.

I believe Mark Twain said, "Heaven for the comfort, Hell for the company."

I believe you are right that an eternity in the presence of pretentious self righteous proselytizing assholes would be the worse kind of hell.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  05:48:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ive always wanted to get a real nice black mobster suit with the red tie and go out trying to trick people into thinking I was the Devil, then I would try to get them to sign a really confusing contract for whatever they wish for. Is that wrong?

"If you could just sign this fiddle contest waiver, we'll be all set"

Edit: I need a good five or six word legalese term for 'soul'

Edit2: I need to get a good magician to rig me up something in my sleeve so that as soon as they sign it Ill hold the paper up and it will ignite seemingly on it's own, oh and a suspiciously red ink pen.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Edited by - BigPapaSmurf on 01/22/2008 05:56:38
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  07:47:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Edit: I need a good five or six word legalese term for 'soul'
Donated Eternal Personal Immaterial Essence (DEPIE).

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  09:08:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ethereal Vortronic Ectoplasmic Discharge (EVED)

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 01/22/2008 09:09:42
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  09:57:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone noticed that this thread has gone two pages and 22 posts and Doomar has not responded to anyone even once?

What we have is 22 separate soliliqies but practically no discourse at all, not even between members and certainly not between Doomar and anyone!

Nothing is wrong with the fact that many clever and well spoken comments have been made. It's part of what this forum is here for, and I am in no way criticizing or demeaning it.

But if the definition of a Troll includes "one who posts only to disrupt or provoke response for response's sake", it seems pretty clear that Doomar is here only to rattle the monkey's cages and watch them howl!

How about it, Dave? Is Doomar a troll? Should he be banned for non-response?
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  10:26:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doomar probably didn't even stick around to watch. At least, he hasn't logged in since he made his latest posts (he might have read the replies without logging in). But, nobody is "interested," so I wouldn't expect him to waste his time (and ours) by replying. The OP failed to serve its purpose, and Doomar has a learned reluctance to discuss things when everyone else here is telling him he's wrong.

He used to stick around and argue. Not any more. [Shrug]

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  11:11:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doomar used to be less insane than his op here indicates. There was a time, a couple years back, when he was capable of actually debating. Then he suffered some sort of major meltdown..... and has been increasingly irrational ever since.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  08:30:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I don't get is why do I have to be alive to repent? Why is it too late to say I'm sorry the moment I die? Why is it impossible to be stewing in the lake of boiling blood and come to the realization that god is great and be lifted out of the depths to his mighty presence? It's essentially the difference between making a poorly informed dedication of one's life and a well informed dedication of one's eternal existance. For some reason the former carries more weight. WTF?

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  08:40:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Oh yeah, and...

Atually most of the so called christians you speak of will be in hell with you because they know nothing of repentance and do not think they really deserve punishment for their sin.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  09:01:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by chaloobi

What I don't get is why do I have to be alive to repent? Why is it too late to say I'm sorry the moment I die? Why is it impossible to be stewing in the lake of boiling blood and come to the realization that god is great and be lifted out of the depths to his mighty presence? It's essentially the difference between making a poorly informed dedication of one's life and a well informed dedication of one's eternal existance. For some reason the former carries more weight. WTF?

Realizing “God is great” does not save you even on this side of death. You cannot repent in heaven or hell. You must repent before you die. Also, you are saved by grace through faith that Jesus was raised from the dead. There is no faith after you die.

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-- not by works, so that no one can boast. EPH 2:8-9 NIV

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  10:31:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Robb said:
Atually most of the so called christians you speak of will be in hell with you because they know nothing of repentance and do not think they really deserve punishment for their sin.

Robb, that's fairly pathetic thinking, even for you. No true christian huh? So, what is it about your personal beliefs that makes you secure in your belief that you are correct and all the "false" christians are wrong?

Sounds like arrogance to me.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  11:19:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Robb

Originally posted by chaloobi

Realizing “God is great” does not save you even on this side of death. You cannot repent in heaven or hell. You must repent before you die. Also, you are saved by grace through faith that Jesus was raised from the dead. There is no faith after you die.

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-- not by works, so that no one can boast. EPH 2:8-9 NIV

The god is great phrase was meant to encapsulate everything, including repentance.

Regarding why, you say it's because there is no Faith after death. Extrapolating from there, there's no Faith because being in Hell is definitive evidence of God's existance. And you can't know God exists and have Faith that God exists at the same time; knowledge cancels Faith. And God most values those who make life-altering decisions based on no real information.

Of course the next question is why in the world God would value devotion without information. Some thoughts:

A. Some chalk it up to the Myster of Faith; don't know, don't care, have Faith.

B. Others would chalk it up to selling snake oil - Faith arose not because God values it but because it's an extraordinarily effective way for human clergy to create and maintain believers in something that does not exist.

C. The most reasonable theistic explanation I've ever heard was that God is interested in Free Will and knows that certain knowledge of his existance would have people doing His will out of fear instead of understanding his message and embracing it for the right reasons; compassion, love, understanding, forgiveness etc.

IMHO A is just lazy and stupid and God should be disgusted in those who subscribe to it. B is probably the most likely answer, though it renders the whole discussion moot. C is the only acceptable answer, again IMHO, if you're going to be a theist or agnostic even.

But if you accept C, it doesn't make sense at all in the explanation for why you can't repent after death. In C, Faith is a mechanism necessary to help us learn to be good. It is not an end in itself. So it shouldn't matter if you repent and want to have a loving relationship with God after you die. God should be like, "hey, better late than never, man. Welcome aboard." Why wouldn't he? Why wouldn't he in the case of A, for that matter? Most consistantly of all Christians these days refer to God as all compassionate, loving, and forgiving - how can that be reconciled with eternal damnation regardless of repentance?

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  14:29:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Robb said:

Robb, that's fairly pathetic thinking, even for you. No true christian huh? So, what is it about your personal beliefs that makes you secure in your belief that you are correct and all the "false" christians are wrong?

Sounds like arrogance to me.

The Bible teaches that you need to believe that Jesus died so your sins can be forgiven. You also must repent and hate sin in your life to be saved from hell. A person cannot do this on His own, it is a work of God. You need to humble yourself and acknowledge you are not a good person, you deserve eternal punishment in hell for your sin against a holy and infinite God. Only then can you understand John 3:16.

No baptism or sinners prayer will save anyone. There are many surveys that have been done that have found out that only around 20% of all "saved" people do anything with thier faith. 1 John teaches about how to know you are saved. Many do not have any of the attributes of a saved person and are false converts.

I was baptised 6 years ago but only became a Christian about 6 months ago. I believed that all I had to do was believe who Jesus was and I would be saved. I realized that I was wrong. The Bible teaches something different. That is why in America Christianity is labeled as a religion of hypocrytes.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds.