Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 27

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  10:24:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree that you have been intolerant of ideas, not people, but "God Bots are so insufferable" is not a friendly greeting. Hardly slanderous, nor proof of hatred, but hardly friendly.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  10:49:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, considering that most of the God-Bot's introductory remarks are nothing but threats (Doomar) of insults (Crusadex), considering that the following remarks are more of the same rather than intelligent dialogue... I don't necessarily fell the need to behave in a friendly manner...

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  11:03:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Simon

Well, considering that most of the God-Bot's introductory remarks are nothing but threats (Doomar) of insults (Crusadex), considering that the following remarks are more of the same rather than intelligent dialogue... I don't necessarily fell the need to behave in a friendly manner...

Nope. Just sayin'.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  11:18:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by crusadex

Slander? seems a bit to lowbrow for such enlightened people.
Your right about presentation though,gotta speak on your audiances level.I think your bigotry would keep you from seeing evidence eeven if it was presented.
Big "if," there. Got evidence?
bigot
One entry found.

Main Entry: big·ot
Pronunciation: \#712;bi-g#601;t\
Function: noun
Etymology: French, hypocrite, bigot
Date: 1660
: a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices ; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance
Not definitions, evidence. I submit that anyone who is amenable to evidence is not obstinate, intolerant, or a bigot. Now show me why this is not correct -- with evidence, not insults alone.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  11:22:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Gorgo
...but "God Bots are so insufferable" is not a friendly greeting. Hardly slanderous, nor proof of hatred, but hardly friendly.
I said that, and you're entirely correct. It really wasn't meant to be friendly. (But it wasn't a greeting--Doomar had been rambling for several pages before I commented on his output.) I was less than friendly because Doomar is incapable of discussing his religion with any objectivity whatsoever and is only here to preach (i.e. waste people's time). I have no desire to suffer through another bout of mindless proselyting. crusadex chalks that up to bigotry and close-mindedness because any reasonable discussion of the evidence would grind his beliefs into sawdust. It's easier for him to cast weak aspersions than engage in substantial debate. It's also a bit of projection to state that no amount of evidence could change a doubter's mind, when we all know the reality is that Christians believe despite the lack of evidence. It's all empty posturing, and the brainless religiosity on display really turns my stomach. I'm past the point of trying to hide my disgust.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 02/13/2009 11:28:08
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  11:48:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm remaining friendly, and optimistic, as I fully expect Doomar, and Crusadex, to send me all their money, and sell all their property, and send me all the money from that.

If they believe in their Bible, they believe in their Bible.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  11:58:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Nope. Just sayin'.

Nope for what? I was making a statement, not asking a question...

But, it is true that I have no patience when somebody is just slinging his 'ideas' in my direction like a monkey slinging his poop.

On the other hand, I try to be friendly when the person, like Robb for example, actually engage in dialogue.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  12:01:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Nope for what? I was making a statement, not asking a question...

But, it is true that I have no patience when somebody is just slinging his 'ideas' in my direction like a monkey slinging his poop.

On the other hand, I try to be friendly when the person, like Robb for example, actually engage in dialogue.

Yup.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Zebra
Skeptic Friend

USA
354 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  14:12:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Zebra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Not definitions, evidence.
Although, when considering the existence of God/gods, a definition would be a useful place to start. Often, this step is overlooked.

I submit that anyone who is amenable to evidence is not obstinate, intolerant, or a bigot. Now show me why this is not correct -- with evidence, not insults alone.
And, if I may add, without use of the Bible as the sole reference, please.

I think, you know, freedom means freedom for everyone* -Dick Cheney

*some restrictions may apply
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  19:24:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by pleco

pleco,

Cain's wife came from the land of Nod. (wherever THAT is.)

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  19:29:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, folks.

Lets back off the namecalling a bit.

Doomar, quoting scripture does not materially back up your claim.

Thanks, folks.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  19:36:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

Cain's wife came from the land of Nod. (wherever THAT is.)

The land of Nod.

Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

darwin alogos
SFN Regular

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2009 :  02:26:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwin alogos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But then?

To deny logic you must use it.To deny Jesus Existed you must throw away all your knowledge of the ancient world. To deny ID
you must refute all analogical reasoning. So the question is why deny?
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2009 :  03:36:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Zebra

Originally posted by HalfMooner

Not definitions, evidence.
Although, when considering the existence of God/gods, a definition would be a useful place to start. Often, this step is overlooked.

I submit that anyone who is amenable to evidence is not obstinate, intolerant, or a bigot. Now show me why this is not correct -- with evidence, not insults alone.
And, if I may add, without use of the Bible as the sole reference, please.

Definition of God..... ah, there's a pretty enough can of worms, to open eh? It seems that everyone has a different idea of what that should be.
Conceptions of God vary widely. Theologians and philosophers have studied countless conceptions of God since the dawn of civilization. The Abrahamic conceptions of God include the trinitarian view of Christians, the Kabbalistic definition of Jewish mysticism, and the Islamic concept of God. The dharmic religions differ in their view of the divine: views of God in Hinduism vary by region, sect, and caste, ranging from monotheistic to polytheistic to atheistic; the view of God in Buddhism is almost non-theist. In modern times, some more abstract concepts have been developed, such as process theology and open theism. Conceptions of God held by individual believers vary so widely that there is no clear consensus on the nature of God.[12] The contemporaneous French philosopher Michel Henry has however proposed a phenomenological approach and definition of God as phenomenological essence of Life.[13]

The Abrahamic cults don't seem to be able to settle on one to venerate, but actually use what is basically three versions of the same entity. The ancient Greek and Roman beliefs, country cousins of each other, seemed to have more fun, but were no less preposterous than the Abrahamic version(s). They were a lot like people, as, when you come right down to it, is the afore-mentioned deity of Abraham.

Here's another definition:

God(s): n.
A riddle within a mirage that serves to keep priests off the welfare rolls and further, aids them in unctuously influencing the ruling class' of any population extant.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 02/14/2009 04:04:13
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2009 :  08:05:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I agree that you have been intolerant of ideas, not people, but "God Bots are so insufferable" is not a friendly greeting. Hardly slanderous, nor proof of hatred, but hardly friendly.

Doomar snips:
http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9355&whichpage=17

I have found in this forum that like rats who scurry about in the dark, so are skeptics that reject the idea that there is a God who made all things and knows all things. The rats stay together in groups in the dark environments, comforting themselves that their state of darkness is really light and truth as they shield themselves from certain realities of life: they will all die, they will stand before God and give account for their life (the judgment).

Considering Doomar restarts this year old thread with the above sleazebag comment, I thought H.H.'s reply was quite apropos.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds.