Our Skeptic Forums
 Health
 Indonesian cutting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lyzandra Daria

32 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2008 :  14:03:27  Show Profile Send Lyzandra Daria a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I requested info on another site when I read about this...the mutilation of genitalia of FEMALE children.

Is this a requirement of MohaMADeans i.e., mutilation of female genitalia? Are males of the cult subjected to similar mutilation of genitalia...as Judaic cult (pact w/ god)?

I thought, if god made us...in HIS image...we were made perfect. Like their writings of God 'nothing should be taken away or added'.

I understand that this 'quaint' tradition is to make females 'virtuous' in their marriage relationship. Very logical...stupid girl will be chaste because she doesn't enjoy sex.

Is this why MohaMADeans rape women...because after this procedure wife/wives isn't/aren't interested in any sexual intercourse?

"Faith must have adequate evidence else it is mere superstition" Alexander Hodge

Regards, Lyz

Risendemonx

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2008 :  14:42:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Risendemonx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure all of us can agree that Female genital mutilation is simply sickening- Eliminate the female's pleasure during sex to promote premarital relations and to increase male sexual pleasure.

I did do a little bit of research, and I found this World Health Organization page about FGM:

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs241/en/

Now this blew me away:

In cultures where it is an accepted norm, female genital mutilation is practiced by followers of all religious beliefs as well as animists and non believers. FGM is usually performed by a traditional practitioner with crude instruments and without anaesthetic. Among the more affluent in society it may be performed in a health care facility by qualified health personnel.

By most standards, the world health organization is considered a reliable resource- but why in the blazing fuck would somebody do this for non-religious reasons? It isn't like a male circumcision, where sex is still able to be enjoyed by the victim later in life.

Moreover, how can one be a qualified health professional and lack the ethics to *not* mutilate some poor little girl's parts?

Type I - excision of the prepuce, with or without excision of part or all of the clitoris;
Type II - excision of the clitoris with partial or total excision of the labia minora;
Type III - excision of part or all of the external genitalia and stitching/narrowing of the vaginal opening (infibulation);
Type IV - pricking, piercing or incising of the clitoris and/or labia; stretching of the clitoris and/or labia; cauterization by burning of the clitoris and surrounding tissue;
scraping of tissue surrounding the vaginal orifice (angurya cuts) or cutting of the vagina (gishiri cuts);
introduction of corrosive substances or herbs into the vagina to cause bleeding or for the purpose of tightening or narrowing it; and any other procedure that falls under the definition given above.

Pardon the pun and the bad language, but God damn... Sometimes, I have a really hard time finding the appropriate words to describe my disgust... This is one of those times.

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry, and is generally considered to have been a bad move."
--
Douglas Adams, The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Go to Top of Page

Lyzandra Daria

32 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2008 :  17:22:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lyzandra Daria a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Risendemonx

I'm sure all of us can agree that Female genital mutilation is simply sickening- Eliminate the female's pleasure during sex to promote premarital relations and to increase male sexual pleasure.

I did do a little bit of research, and I found this World Health Organization page about FGM:

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs241/en/

Now this blew me away:

In cultures where it is an accepted norm, female genital mutilation is practiced by followers of all religious beliefs as well as animists and non believers. FGM is usually performed by a traditional practitioner with crude instruments and without anaesthetic. Among the more affluent in society it may be performed in a health care facility by qualified health personnel.

By most standards, the world health organization is considered a reliable resource- but why in the blazing fuck would somebody do this for non-religious reasons? It isn't like a male circumcision, where sex is still able to be enjoyed by the victim later in life.

Moreover, how can one be a qualified health professional and lack the ethics to *not* mutilate some poor little girl's parts?

Type I - excision of the prepuce, with or without excision of part or all of the clitoris;
Type II - excision of the clitoris with partial or total excision of the labia minora;
Type III - excision of part or all of the external genitalia and stitching/narrowing of the vaginal opening (infibulation);
Type IV - pricking, piercing or incising of the clitoris and/or labia; stretching of the clitoris and/or labia; cauterization by burning of the clitoris and surrounding tissue;
scraping of tissue surrounding the vaginal orifice (angurya cuts) or cutting of the vagina (gishiri cuts);
introduction of corrosive substances or herbs into the vagina to cause bleeding or for the purpose of tightening or narrowing it; and any other procedure that falls under the definition given above.

Pardon the pun and the bad language, but God damn... Sometimes, I have a really hard time finding the appropriate words to describe my disgust... This is one of those times.

And thankyou for the information...

I am aware of (without great detail) of the basics of the procedure. I'm sorry...grieved...horrified...disgusted...outraged that this 'procedure' is performed AT ALL.

That said, my inquiry was about that similar procedure for removing the foreskin of male children. Do you know if that happens to boy children raised Muslim (as boys raised in Judaic religion)?

I'm aware it's usually performed immediately after or within x# of days for male offspring of Jewish and most if not all boys of Christian cults.

I was told that circumcision of boy child doesn't reduce the sexual libido...but was for a) sanitary or b)religious reasons.

Any assistance/knowledge if boys raised Muslim are circumcised and if this is for reason a), b) or c)other reason?

Appreciate any clarification

"Faith must have adequate evidence else it is mere superstition" Alexander Hodge

Regards, Lyz
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2008 :  17:46:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here you go:

Circumcision
The earliest pictures are from cave drawings of Ancient Egyptian tombs, though some pictures may be open to interpretation.[2][3][4] Male circumcision is a religious commandment in Judaism as well as in Islam,[5][6] and customary in some Oriental Orthodox and other Christian churches in Africa.[7]

Circumcision is most common in the Middle East, the USA and parts of Africa and Asia. According to WHO 30% of men worldwide have had the procedure, mostly in developing countries where it is common for religious or cultural reasons. Opponents of circumcision condemn infant circumcision as being medically unjustified and an infringement upon individual bodily rights[9], while advocates of circumcision regard it as a worthwhile public health measure,[10] particularly in the control of HIV in Sub-Saharan Africa.[11][12][13]

In March 2007 the World Health Organization and UNAIDS recognized male circumcision as an effective intervention for HIV prevention, but warned that male circumcision only provides partial protection and should not replace other interventions to prevent the heterosexual transmission of HIV.[14]

There is much more to this wiki article.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Lyzandra Daria

32 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2008 :  17:58:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lyzandra Daria a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Here you go:

Circumcision
The earliest pictures are from cave drawings of Ancient Egyptian tombs, though some pictures may be open to interpretation.[2][3][4] Male circumcision is a religious commandment in Judaism as well as in Islam,[5][6] and customary in some Oriental Orthodox and other Christian churches in Africa.[7]

Circumcision is most common in the Middle East, the USA and parts of Africa and Asia. According to WHO 30% of men worldwide have had the procedure, mostly in developing countries where it is common for religious or cultural reasons. Opponents of circumcision condemn infant circumcision as being medically unjustified and an infringement upon individual bodily rights[9], while advocates of circumcision regard it as a worthwhile public health measure,[10] particularly in the control of HIV in Sub-Saharan Africa.[11][12][13]

In March 2007 the World Health Organization and UNAIDS recognized male circumcision as an effective intervention for HIV prevention, but warned that male circumcision only provides partial protection and should not replace other interventions to prevent the heterosexual transmission of HIV.[14]

There is much more to this wiki article.

Thankyou for the information...and link.

My opinion: If not for the prevention of HIV/AIDS (which is the only legitimate excuse for this procedure to be performed on MALES), it is really one of those traditions best eradicated.

Regards, Lyz
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds.