New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

drmabus
BANNED

128 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  10:24:09  Show Profile Send drmabus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Randi lost CONTROL over his own challenge, the deluded fool

See the URL below to see how we stopped the CHALLENGE as the little fraud would obviously not pay up:

http://www.centerforinquiry.net/forums/viewthread/3283/P0/

[Moved to the General Skepticism folder - Dave W.]

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  10:42:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, that thread seems to prove why you haven't won and have no prayer of ever winning.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  10:43:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by drmabus

See the URL below to see how we stopped the CHALLENGE as the little fraud would obviously not pay up:

Did your Nostradamus also predict that you'd come here and post something irrelevant?

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  10:46:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please observe how the entire atheist movement has been CRUSHED by the hand of NOSTRADAMUS

ETA: I read through the rest of your link. Dude. Get help.
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 01/21/2008 10:48:53
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  11:54:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cune said:

Hey, don't blame me for that tool!

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  12:02:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Randi lost CONTROL over his own challenge, the deluded fool

Oh cripes. This guy made a list and emailed it off with the same message as he posted here. I was on the list. I wound up in an email debate with some guy who also thinks Randi's challenge is a fraud.

These guys have nothing to prove that. Mr. Six Legged Lamb here thinks he deserves the prize without actually producing anything that supports his contention. Talk about deluded. There isn't anything that can even be tested in his claim, but there is a whole lot that can be pointed to that demonstrates that his claim was pulled from where the sun never shines.

We get them all…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  12:34:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Previous SFN threads from drmabus (some may remember these):In the CFI thread he linked to, the Randi Challenge stuff starts with post #41, and he doesn't actually state a claim there at all, nor does he even come close to showing "how we stopped the CHALLENGE as the little fraud would obviously not pay up," he just asserts that the Challenge was never real.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  12:46:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm confused; what the hell does some Renaissance apothacary-turned-grifter have to do with Randi's challenge? Did he predict it's demise in poetic gibberish? If so, I'd like to know which potential mental patient did the translation.

I gotta hand the ol' Noz a lot of credit, though. His book of quatrains has been an excellent & consistent seller over the centuries. He really knew how to hook the easily impressed as well as the terminally deluded and yank them around like out-of-balance yo-yos. Would that I could do as well.

Randi is dropping the challenge simply because it's a waste of time. No one is going to win it because all of this supernatural crap is a load of crap, excuse the redundancy. If there was anything to it, the prize would have been claimed in the first week. And if someone claims that the million didn't exist, I will insist that the person provide empirical evidence in support of Randi's knavery. I have done this before and received answers that reminded me a bit of Nozzie's Centuries, which, by the bye, I've read -- it helps if you're drunk and I made the mistake of not being so. They gave me only near-terminal ennui and a mild but aggravating headache.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  14:03:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a little something of related interest; the challenge is going away but Randi certainly is not.

I received an interesting objection from “LeeTheAgent” – how I wish I could address these folks by real names! – last week. He wrote, first quoting me as I explained how the JREF challenge was going to be discontinued:

…we never thought, for a moment, that the “Big Fish” out there – persons such as James Van Praagh, John Edward, Sylvia Browne, even Uri Geller – might actually step forward to be tested on their claims.

Then he asked me, quite properly:

<snip>

It's understood that you don't understand, Lee. We've issued strong challenges to these specific persons, in SWIFT and media articles, on TV, radio, and podcasts. They're insulated by their handlers and their money, and of course can continue to operate because the media won't put their noses to the grindstone. I'm willing to listen to any suggestions about how the JREF can pursue the Bad Guys…

One ray of hope: we're setting out to raise enough cash to be able to purchase a quarter-page display ad in The New York Times, openly challenging Van Praagh, John Edward, and Sylvia Browne, but not Uri Geller, since he's now resigned from deity status. That just might alert enough of the public to sit up and start complaining…

Will any of the 'psyhic' con-artists take the challenge, as it would greatly enhance their reputations to triumph over it? No, they will not because they are full of shit.

Will the public as a whole learn from it? No they will not because people who are full of shit are beloved by other people who wish that they were full of shit as well (and a great many are).

Will some of the public learn anything? Maybe, but I'll make no predictions as to percentages. I suspect that they will be so small that they will get lost in the margin of error.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  14:50:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

Cune said:

Hey, don't blame me for that tool!
Ha! I actually thought about that. But since the SFN mod policy is to bold names, the use of "dude" here was in the more conventional sense.
Go to Top of Page

drmabus
BANNED

128 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  17:33:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send drmabus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I predict that Randi and his entire organization will *BURN IN HELL* if he does not pay me my million dollars within the next 30 days.
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  17:39:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I predict that Randi and his entire organization will *BURN IN HELL* if he does not pay me my million dollars within the next 30 days.

Not if you repeat these words:

"owa" "tafu" "lieyam"

Repeat this ancient Sanskrit phrase reading left to right, in the order above, over and over, faster and faster, at least 9 times and you can help Randi see the error of his ways. (He'll probably thank you later.)
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  17:52:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

. . . the deluded fool
. . .

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  18:16:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

SFN will find a way to pay you the million dollars if you can show us how to test the above prediction and then prove that it will happen.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  18:58:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Uh, that's a scary level of raving. I think Randi, and law enforcement, may need to know about this possible, implied threat. Literally, no threat was made, but consider the source: someone who has a real hard time distinguishing reality from his delusions.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

drmabus
BANNED

128 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  19:08:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send drmabus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As Randi states: " At JREF, we offer a one-million-dollar prize to anyone who can show, under proper observing conditions, evidence of any paranormal, supernatural, or occult power or event."

I think the WORLD TRADE CENTER painted on the HOUSE OF NOSTRADAMUS *alone* qualifies for that...forget all the other *STUFF*

Randi MUST PAY THE PRICE....
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds.