General Skepticism
 Bigfoot on Mars!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  08:53:56  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sigh, the sad part is some fools will actually believe this load

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  09:04:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would make a great April 1 joke from Nasa...they should have saved it for then.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  09:04:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anderson Cooper described the figure as "Sass-scotch." Dumbass.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  09:17:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Send missionaries!!!!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  10:39:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Simple. Just take another picture of the same location a second later and see if the running dude is still there. If not, then it's a Martian.

And why do radio and tv personalities trumpet their own ignorance? These dumbasses really don't know the difference between the legend of the Yeti and the legend of Sasquatch?

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  14:07:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a paste of my post on Filthy's "Mars Image" topic

A magnified version of the picture, posted on the internet, appears to some to show what resembles a human form among a crop of rocks.

If you further magnify the image to the point of pixel discrimination (8X), you see probable evidence of image manipulation. The dark areas are pure black instead of very dark grey, and the demarcation between the much lighter background and the apparent "figure" image is black pixel next to light pixel; there should be some degree of shading at the demarcation line!

Oddly enough, some of the "shadow" areas in other parts of the picture show the same lack of grey shading, as does the "figure" section of the picture. Why did they mess around with the "shadows"?

If the "magnified" image of the original NASA photo was Photoshopped or otherwise manipulated, it was an extremely clumsy job. I am yet an amateur at this work, and I could do far better with just my clumsy skills.

What do you think Mooner? You have had much more image manipulation experience than I, do you think the "sasquatch" (man, that's a stretch) was inserted or pixel manipulated in Corel Draw or even Paint?

Does anyone know where to find the original NASA image? Dave?

Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  05:02:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was referred to Emily Lakdawalla's blog post by the Bad Astronomer himself. Please follow the first link, there's lots of good stuff, including 3d imagery there.

The color photo of Bigfoot, in all its graininess, seems like a snapshot that Spirit took with the color camera on its mobile phone, catching a space alien visitor in motion as it dashed across the crater floor. It's easy to forget that color images from space are almost never taken all at once, in one snapshot. Nearly all cameras sent to space have monochrome detectors. To obtain color images, they have to take a photo of the same spot at least three times, each time with a different-color filter placed in front of the lens. In this case, Spirit took aim at that particular spot first with blue filters over both its left and right eyes. A minute later, having saved the first files to memory, it rotated the left-eye filter wheel to place an infrared filter over its left eye, and shot the scene again, and saved that image to memory. Then, about half a minute later, it was ready to shoot the scene a third time, with a green filter over its eye. Do you see what I'm getting at here? That weird little twisty piece of dark rock that looks like a humanoid figure stood perfectly still while the three images were taken, between 11:58:53 and 12:00:13 local time at Spirit's landing site.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  07:48:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

This is a paste of my post on Filthy's "Mars Image" topic

A magnified version of the picture, posted on the internet, appears to some to show what resembles a human form among a crop of rocks.

If you further magnify the image to the point of pixel discrimination (8X), you see probable evidence of image manipulation. The dark areas are pure black instead of very dark grey, and the demarcation between the much lighter background and the apparent "figure" image is black pixel next to light pixel; there should be some degree of shading at the demarcation line!

Oddly enough, some of the "shadow" areas in other parts of the picture show the same lack of grey shading, as does the "figure" section of the picture. Why did they mess around with the "shadows"?

If the "magnified" image of the original NASA photo was Photoshopped or otherwise manipulated, it was an extremely clumsy job. I am yet an amateur at this work, and I could do far better with just my clumsy skills.

What do you think Mooner? You have had much more image manipulation experience than I, do you think the "sasquatch" (man, that's a stretch) was inserted or pixel manipulated in Corel Draw or even Paint?

Does anyone know where to find the original NASA image? Dave?

I looked at the original, bngbuck, and saw nothing different between it and the widely-posed image. And nothing remarkable about either. It looks vaguely like a human figure. Pareidolia, that's all. Our brains are extremely sensitive to "recognizing" figures, especially human ones. It's doubtless a survival instinct.

My very first post at SFN was about what I dubbed the "Alberta Indian," a similar case of natural pareidolia, but a much more impressive one, I think. (Look for the images on the second page.)

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  10:45:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you're looking at the original (over 5 MB download), the head of "bigfoot" is 864 pixels from the left edge, and 2,212 pixels down from the top (that's about 1/16th of the way across, and almost 2/3rds down).

Details of the original image (and a huge 133 MB version) can be found at JPL's Photojournal.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.