Our Skeptic Forums
 Politics
 Call it by any other name...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lyzandra Daria

32 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  13:54:27  Show Profile Send Lyzandra Daria a Private Message  Reply with Quote
link

The politically correct crowd in Britain has officially lost any sense of sanity they once had. Not long ago the British government decided against using the term "war on terror" because the word terrorism has become synonymous with Muslims, so they were worried the "war on terror" would be misconstrued as a "war on Muslims". Taking their insanity one step further, they have now adopted new language for "Islamic Terrorism". Hence forth, "Islamic Terrorism" will now be referred to as "anti-Islamic activity".

The term "anti-Islamic activity" was adopted because, as Home Secretary Jacqui Smith said, "As so many Muslims in the UK and across the world have pointed out, there is nothing Islamic about the wish to terrorise, nothing Islamic about plotting murder, pain and grief. Indeed, if anything, these actions are anti-Islamic?. Apparently Jacqui Smith has never once read the Koran, opting instead to believe talking points from political groups which call Islam the religion of peace. Let's take a look at some passages in the "good book' shall we?

Slay them wherever you find them, Idolatry is worse than carnageFight against them until idolatry is no more and God's religion reigns supreme. (Surah 2:190-)
Fighting is obligatory for you, much as you dislike it. (Surah 2:216)

Seek out your enemies relentlessly. (Surah 4:103-)

Believers, take neither Jews nor Christians for your friends. (Surah 5:51)

Believers, when you encounter the infidels on the march, do not turn your backs to them in flight. If anyone on that day turns his back to them, except it be for tactical reasonshe shall incur the wrath of God and Hell shall be his home (Surah 8:12-)

Make war on them until idolatry shall cease and God's religion shall reign supreme. (Surah 8:36-)

If you do not fight, He will punish you sternly, and replace you by other men. (Surah 9:37-)

Believers, make war on the infidels who dwell around you. Deal firmly with them. (Surah 9:121-)

Prophet make war on the unbelievers and the hypocrites and deal rigorously with them. Hell shall be their home. (Surah 9:73)

Muhammad is God's apostle. Those who follow him are ruthless to the unbelievers but merciful to one another. (Surah 48:29)

It would appear to me that those who take part in terrorism are performing duties as laid out to them by the Koran. The "religion of peace" as it has become to be called, is no such thing. The Muslim religion teaches its followers that their religion is the only "true" religion, and those who do not follow it are enemies. Jews and Christians are "infidels" and it is the job of Muslims to strike down the "infidels".

Anti-Islamic activity? I think not!

'un-islamic activity' = any activity which exposes Islamists for the terrorists they really are.

edited to fix link -- Cune

"Faith must have adequate evidence else it is mere superstition" Alexander Hodge

Regards, Lyz

Edited by - Cuneiformist on 01/23/2008 15:29:46

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  20:07:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've said it before... without a religion that promises a huge reward in the afterlife, no person would consider suicide bombing as anything other than a last resort against an enemy that offers no quarter and accepts no surrender.

Barring those circumstances, no sane person would carry out a suiicide bombing unless they truly believed they were headed for paradise and en eternal reward.

As for the article... who is the author? Never heard of him. But his use of blatant informal fallacy (chery picking, in this instance) to make a case for Islam being a violent religion doesn't speak well about his intent or integrity.

I'll agree that referring to terrorism as "anti-islamic activity" is pretty far into stupidland though.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  06:33:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll agree with Dude here. Indeed any religion situated in a pre-Enlightenment society is going to be pretty horrible. Christian Europe ca. 1200 wasn't exactly a bastion of tolerance, freedom, and hope.

Painting an entire religious group as terrorists as though it were the defining characteristic of that religion is simplistic, but I guess it can get you published.

That said, the "anti-Islamic activity" thing, if true, is stupid. Certainly dumber than "war on terror"-- but not by much.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  06:37:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

I've said it before... without a religion that promises a huge reward in the afterlife, no person would consider suicide bombing as anything other than a last resort against an enemy that offers no quarter and accepts no surrender.

Barring those circumstances, no sane person would carry out a suiicide bombing unless they truly believed they were headed for paradise and en eternal reward.

Only 40% of suicide attacks are religiously motivated.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  10:33:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BPS said:
Only 40% of suicide attacks are religiously motivated.

Source?

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  10:54:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stupid sources, I think I heard it on Frontline a couple years ago, I'll try to track it down.

If I recall it was something like 40% religious reasons, 40% revenge for something like a death of a loved one and 20% for non-religious fanatics and military or guerilla operations.

Note that this doesnt mean that some of those other 60% still think their getting into paradise after such an evil act.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  10:58:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Stupid sources, I think I heard it on Frontline a couple years ago, I'll try to track it down.

If I recall it was something like 40% religious reasons, 40% revenge for something like a death of a loved one and 20% for non-religious fanatics and military or guerilla operations.

Note that this doesnt mean that some of those other 60% still think their getting into paradise after such an evil act.
How would they know? Unless before the fact the somehow spell it out. Which, I guess happens. But still.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  11:11:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok found it, Heres the scoop.

Prior to the Iraq war, the statistics were closer to what I said, now the vast majority of the attacks are in Iraq so the data from the last few years is skewed towards the Islamic Fundy angle.

Harvard review, good read
Link

MIT Center for International Studies
http://web.mit.edu/cis/pdf/argo_audit_4.06.pdf

The problem with my statement is the semantics it seems, the data I was refering to includes all suicide attacks against military and other targets, where 'suicide terror' is associated with attacks on innocents and civilians.

Edited by - BigPapaSmurf on 01/24/2008 11:17:16
Go to Top of Page

Lyzandra Daria

32 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  13:43:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lyzandra Daria a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dude said...
"I'll agree that referring to terrorism as "anti-islamic activity" is pretty far into stupidland though."

[/quote]

Reading "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins...about how far intelligent and otherwise rational human beings will go to avoid speaking concisely about 'religion'. Thought this article was suffuciently revealing.

"Faith must have adequate evidence else it is mere superstition" Alexander Hodge

Regards, Lyz
Go to Top of Page

Halcyon Dayz

Netherlands
27 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  15:39:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Halcyon Dayz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Calling it Islamist Terrorism (and that's what it is), would solve these issues.

An idea is not responsible for the people who believe in it. -- Don Marquis

"The universe is a strange, practically incomprehensible place. But that is how things are, and no amount of wishing that things are really the way we perceive them will change that." - The Black Cat
Go to Top of Page

Mycroft
Skeptic Friend

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  17:17:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mycroft a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Lyzandra Daria

The politically correct crowd in Britain has officially lost any sense of sanity they once had. Not long ago the British government decided against using the term "war on terror" because the word terrorism has become synonymous with Muslims, so they were worried the "war on terror" would be misconstrued as a "war on Muslims". Taking their insanity one step further, they have now adopted new language for "Islamic Terrorism". Hence forth, "Islamic Terrorism" will now be referred to as "anti-Islamic activity".

I tend to agree that this is nonsensical political correctness run amok. The truth is that Islamic terrorism and violence is very much Islamic, at least from the point of view of those perpetuating it. From the Saudis that fund it, the Imams that preach it to those poor deluded fools who carry it out, they all do it for the glory of Allah and because they believe it's what Mohamed wants of them.

At the same time it should be acknowledged that quite a few Muslins, a majority most likely, are shocked and horrified at the idea of murdering in the name of their religion.

A free society must be free to condemn the abhorrent practices of its religions. Religions do moderate themselves in response. Compare the Catholic church of today to that of three hundred years ago, or even the Mormon church of today to the Mormon church of only a few decades ago in it's treatment of black people.

Originally posted by Lyzandra Daria

<snip>

Slay them wherever you find them, Idolatry is worse than carnageFight against them until idolatry is no more and God's religion reigns supreme. (Surah 2:190-)
Fighting is obligatory for you, much as you dislike it. (Surah 2:216)

<snip>

The truth is a religion, any religion, is more than just what is found in its holy books and it's unfair to judge them based on a handful of cherry-picked quotes. Slandering them this way crosses the line from legitimate criticism into outright bigotry, in my opinion.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.