Our calendar
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  19:59:57  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, so here is the deal. We have a calendar on our menu that just isn't being used. We are thinking about taking it down, but what we would rather do is find someone willing to take care of it and post such things as skeptic events and significant historical events that skeptics might be interested in. You know, Darwin's birthday and stuff like that.

Once started, it would probably be easy to maintain, say, with monthly additions or when something of note comes up.

We (the SFN staff) are asking for a volunteer or volunteers to be on calendar duty.

If you are interested in helping to make your SFN even better than it is, contact me or Dave by PM , email, or in this thread.

Remember, as it is with all the staff here, your pay will suck. That said, the fate of the calendar is now in your hands…

As always, the calendar is also available to anyone who wants to highlight a particular date with something that would be of interest to other SFN members and skeptics in general.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  07:04:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I looked at the calendar - anyone can post to it, right?

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  09:08:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes. Any member that is.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  15:55:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm. What if it were linked to a google calendar? That would achieve a few of things:

• The google calendar functionality itself is already pretty well debugged.

• It has some extra features, reminders and such.

• People could see the calendar without visiting SFN. I can see how this is also a negative, but it could remind them of things like chat, which would be a reminder to head over to SFN once in a while.

Now, we'd need to display the calendar on the SFN page as it is now. I believe displaying a google calendar in the forum would be pretty straightforward, and I'm prepared to have a go at that myself, I have a local installation of Snitz I administer. Allowing any member to add an event may be a little trickier, I'll have a look at that too.

I'm more or less thinking out loud here (I'm pressing the keys really hard, trust me, it's loud), so feel free to tell me if you think it's a truly 'orrible idea. I might disagree, but I'll only sulk a little bit.

John's just this guy, you know.
Edited by - JohnOAS on 02/12/2008 15:56:36
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  21:27:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, John, your idea is interesting, if we were set on keeping the calendar. We put out this call for volunteers because right now, it looks like the calendar is excess baggage. Changing over to a snazzier implementation of excess baggage isn't particularly appealing.

If we get an official "Keeper of the Calendar" who tells us, months from now, that what we've got is sub-par and we need an upgrade, then I'm sure we'll keep Google's calendar in mind.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  17:55:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Well, John, your idea is interesting, if we were set on keeping the calendar. We put out this call for volunteers because right now, it looks like the calendar is excess baggage. Changing over to a snazzier implementation of excess baggage isn't particularly appealing.

If we get an official "Keeper of the Calendar" who tells us, months from now, that what we've got is sub-par and we need an upgrade, then I'm sure we'll keep Google's calendar in mind.

Fair enough.

I'd be willing to be a contributor. I guess we have to do the chicken and egg experiment.

Will people use/view it?
Sure, if there's interesting / relevant content.
Why put effort and content into something people never use?
Rinse, repeat.

What sort of stuff would people like? I'm a regular reader of things I'm sure many others here also see, including lots of science/skepticism blogs, but having an agglomerated agenda might be useful.

Things like:
* Upcoming debates/interviews (radio / TV / Web)
* Upcoming Movie/TV shows
* Activism related events
* Holidays / celebrations
* Stuff I haven't thought of yet.

I'm just playing with the calendar thing now, trolling my Google reader for anything to add. It definitely needs an edit function, as I posted something on the incorrect date and can't move it.

I'm at work, but if I can goof off to mess with the calendar, I can probably goof off and drop by chat too, we might discuss it then.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  18:51:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, since nobody was using the calendar, and we just found out today that it was a liability to our site security, we have removed it.

Hope nobody misses it. If you happen to see it on some oddball page or other, please let me know.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.