Journal pulls "creationist" article
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  11:10:33  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Over at the Chronicle, they're reporting that the peer-reviewed journal Proteomics has retracted the article entitled "Mitochondria, the missing link between body and soul: Proteomic prospective evidence" by two South Korean, er, scholars. The reasoning was because of the article's "apparently plagiarised passages from several previously published articles." What makes this interesting, though, is what the article said:
A "single common fingerprint initiated by a mighty creator" is not the run-of-the-mill jargon found in peer-reviewed biology journals. But a paper using that language to argue that such a fingerprint appears in mitochondria, the parts of cells that provide most of the energy for living organisms, has been published online by just such a journal.

Proteomics, a well-regarded molecular-biology publication, reviewed and accepted a manuscript with the title "Mitochondria, the Missing Link Between Body and Soul: Proteomic Prospective Evidence," by two scientists at Inje University, in South Korea. The paper contains several sections with language supporting the idea of creationism, which opposes the theory of evolution.
The whole thing has apparently caused a bit of an commotion.

More soon...

[Edited to fix formatting. //Dr. Mabuse]

Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 02/12/2008 15:04:45

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  13:35:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jin Han, one of the two authors, is asking that the paper be retracted. I suspect, though don't know, that this author was blindsided by his partner (maybe a Moonie?) adding the Creationist garbage to the paper.

PZ did mention that the paper seemed to have been written by two totally different hands, one scientific exposition, the other bizarrely inserted Creo non sequiturs.

Jin Han wrote to PZ:
“I found the serious mistakes in the paper during the process of edits, which I confused between the early drafts and the latest versions: I did not check the use of the sentences in the references (more than 200 references). Finally I made serious error to make the final version.”
Edit: No, on further thought, I can't believe either of the authors could be so innocent. I mean, did one supply the Creo, and the other the plagiarism? And the worst screwup must have been by Proteomics editor, Michael J. Dunn.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/12/2008 14:25:02
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.