Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  07:36:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have yet to see any sort of convincing evidence that man killed off all of the megafauna by his lonesome. I'm sure that we had a hand in it -- Clovis was one hell of a big game hunter -- but I think that there were other factors involved, probably involving climate. Really, it wouldn't take all that much of a change to weaken a species perfectly adapted a status quo, especally if that change came suddenly (geologically speaking). It might be that they were already well on their trip to oblivion when we crossed the Bering land bridge. It is also concievable that we brought foreign microbes with us that the various fauna were susceptable to, compounding the situation. Also, how sure are we of the fauna's reproductive cycles? I would think that, like large mammals today, it was relativly slow; a single offspring at a time, or perhaps twins at most, requiring a great deal of parential care for an extended period.

Against all that lot, the small populations of hunter-gathers scattered about would only have had but a modest impact.

All speculation of course but there's not much else, is there?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 02/22/2008 08:32:02
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  08:14:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just one comment on the microbe thing, weren't the mammoths either common to both Eurasia and the Americas or didn't the humans and mammoths cross the land bridge at the same time? I know there's lots of frozen mammoth corpses found in the Siberian permafrost, so they were definitely in Asia. And in that case, the microbe thing shouldn't have been an issue with a global die off.

And regarding the other critters - bison, big cats, sloths, and all manner of other mega-fauna went extinct. I can't believe this was all due to stone-age super-hunters. It had to be the change in climate - all those beasties were cold-weather adapted...

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  08:30:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by chaloobi

Just one comment on the microbe thing, weren't the mammoths either common to both Eurasia and the Americas or didn't the humans and mammoths cross the land bridge at the same time? I know there's lots of frozen mammoth corpses found in the Siberian permafrost, so they were definitely in Asia. And in that case, the microbe thing shouldn't have been an issue with a global die off.

And regarding the other critters - bison, big cats, sloths, and all manner of other mega-fauna went extinct. I can't believe this was all due to stone-age super-hunters. It had to be the change in climate - all those beasties were cold-weather adapted...
Agree entirely. As to the microbes, who says that they couldn't have at least weakened the Asian populations? Assuming, of course, that these bugs actually existed. Could be that that's where they orginated and were vectored to this continent by immigrating humans. Or, here's a more likely thought, by carrion feeding birds such as crows, ravens, vultures & gulls.

A whole lot of 'could be,' ain't there?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  13:15:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Originally posted by chaloobi

Agree entirely. As to the microbes, who says that they couldn't have at least weakened the Asian populations? Assuming, of course, that these bugs actually existed. Could be that that's where they orginated and were vectored to this continent by immigrating humans. Or, here's a more likely thought, by carrion feeding birds such as crows, ravens, vultures & gulls.

A whole lot of 'could be,' ain't there?

Yeah, lots. Like the warming climate could have increased the range of disease vectors.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.