Bart Ehrman, Questioning Religion on Why We Suffer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  20:18:33  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bart Ehrman is a trained theologian, a biblical scholar, an agnostic, and the author of God's Problem: How the Bible Fails to Answer Our Most Important Question — Why We Suffer. Here's a link to NPR, where you should be able to listen to Mr. Ehrman's 47-minute interview on the "Fresh Air" program.
It's one of the oldest faith questions: If there's an all-powerful and loving God, why do human beings suffer?

In his latest book, religious studies professor Bart D. Ehrman wrestles with that question — and with the implications of the often-contradictory answers he finds. In God's Problem: How the Bible Fails to Answer Our Most Important Question — Why We Suffer, Ehrman meditates upon how the Bible explains human suffering, why he finds the explanations unconvincing, and why he gave up on being a Christian.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/19/2008 21:52:47

LeonKennedy

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  03:24:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send LeonKennedy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He's giving a special lecture at my university this semester. I'm trying to think of an intelligent, reasonable question to ask him, because no doubt, he'll be inundated with a whole host of inanities. I suppose actually reading some of his works would be a good idea -- anyone have suggestions on where to start? (Other than the obvious God's Problem).
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  04:36:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by LeonKennedy

He's giving a special lecture at my university this semester. I'm trying to think of an intelligent, reasonable question to ask him, because no doubt, he'll be inundated with a whole host of inanities. I suppose actually reading some of his works would be a good idea -- anyone have suggestions on where to start? (Other than the obvious God's Problem).
Lucky you!

I don't have any specifics, but I might want to try something based upon the fact that he's rejected religion largely on what seems to me theological grounds. I'm more accustomed to reading or hearing arguments stemming from scientific thinking, as with Dawkins or Hitchens. Those two know, and write about, a bit less of theology, and a bit more of science. Ehrman's arguments are fine, but they are from a different perspective.

Maybe you could ask him how he feels about the arguments made by the "New Atheists"?

Go to Top of Page

LeonKennedy

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  00:22:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send LeonKennedy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner
Maybe you could ask him how he feels about the arguments made by the "New Atheists"?
I hadn't considered that distinction between him and Dawkins, Harris, et al. Thanks for the suggestion!
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  08:39:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I heard that interview and enjoyed it a great deal. I already had his book "Misquoting Jesus" on my list of things to read (he had an interview on NPR when that came out too), and now I've added this recent one. Some day I'll get to read all the books I want to! Some day! Anyway, he seems very unconcerned with converting people to his personal beliefs, and much more interested in simply posing these questions for further discussion and thought. I bet he'd agree with the New Atheists with regard to their social concerns about the religious right (especially since Ehrman is an ex-born-again-Christian), but disagree with the idea that the world would be a better place without all forms of religion. If you do ask him, let us know what he says!

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  15:28:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

I heard that interview and enjoyed it a great deal. I already had his book "Misquoting Jesus" on my list of things to read (he had an interview on NPR when that came out too), and now I've added this recent one. Some day I'll get to read all the books I want to! Some day! Anyway, he seems very unconcerned with converting people to his personal beliefs, and much more interested in simply posing these questions for further discussion and thought. I bet he'd agree with the New Atheists with regard to their social concerns about the religious right (especially since Ehrman is an ex-born-again-Christian), but disagree with the idea that the world would be a better place without all forms of religion. If you do ask him, let us know what he says!
I suspect you're right.

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  23:00:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some day I'll get to read all the books I want to! Some day!

Learn to read faster. It is a skill that can be aquired and improved.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

skeptic griggsy
Skeptic Friend

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2008 :  07:02:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit skeptic griggsy's Homepage Send skeptic griggsy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed ,Ehrman shows the unreliability of the Gospels and he also shows in 'Lost Christianities,' other forms of that silly superstition could have come through. Religious suppression stopped them from doing SO.
Silly fundamentalists allege that because of his naturalistic presumptions, he is wrong.

Fr. Griggs rests in his Socratic ignorance and humble naturalism. Logic is the bane of theists.Religion is mythinformation. Reason saves, not a dead Galilean fanatic.
Go to Top of Page

skeptic griggsy
Skeptic Friend

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2009 :  02:02:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit skeptic griggsy's Homepage Send skeptic griggsy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish that Dr. Ehrman would take on errantists! Why should Bisho John Shelby Spong's, Keith Ward's or Alister McGrath's take on the By-bull not get criticized? Their take on the book as one of hope lacks merit. How can they ignore Jesus's divine protection racket? How can they see love thy neighbor when that fool did not denounce slavery?
McGrath avers that we new atheists want an innerant Bible and a perfectionistic view of God and a perfect ethic when we mention the book's faults. He states that spirituality and morality evolve.
We rationalists find better means of having hope than faith in the Sky Pappy or Ground of Being as Paul Tillich calls Him.
Maybe this book in part does note errantists' nonsense on this subject.
Dawkins has the number on theological mummbo -jumbo when he mentions that it isn't necessary to know any theology. I'll take it on!

Fr. Griggs rests in his Socratic ignorance and humble naturalism. Logic is the bane of theists.Religion is mythinformation. Reason saves, not a dead Galilean fanatic.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2009 :  03:58:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

Some day I'll get to read all the books I want to! Some day!

Learn to read faster. It is a skill that can be aquired and improved.

What do you recommend?

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.