Our Skeptic Forums
 Creation/Evolution
 TV Interview Help Needed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BlueCollarScientist

23 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2008 :  14:41:47  Show Profile  Visit BlueCollarScientist's Homepage Send BlueCollarScientist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It looks like I will be interviewed on Monday or Tuesday for a regional-access television service (like "local access," except it is for remote parts of Alaska, and people actually watch it). The subject: A ten-minute newsmagazine story on the evolution wars. The interviewer is a media student I've never heard of who apparently has a reputation for asking good, intelligent questions.

Since I have the luxury of a long lead time, I've worked up some talking points to prepare. I'm going to practice a bit in front of my camcorder. I'm going to have friends do some mock interviews. Does anyone have any advice beyond this?

http://bluecollarscientist.com/

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2008 :  15:32:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ask your interviewer what specifics he may ask you. Give yourself a chance to prepare and review source material.

For example, if he is going to ask you for some specific evidence for evolution you could prep a concise answer for ERV insertions and human chromosome 2.(or whatever you think you can explain well in that format)

If he is going to ask you about the different players in the conflict, you can get some time to review the info on the discovery institute, the wedge document, the Dover trial, stuff like that.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2008 :  16:48:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats!

Give some serious thought as to whether you want to be seen as friendly or as another one of Darwin's bulldogs (or somewhere in between, of course) and stick with it. You'll lose credibility if you viciously attack the liars for Jesus but then later ask, "why can't we all get along?"

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2008 :  16:58:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Congrats!

Give some serious thought as to whether you want to be seen as friendly or as another one of Darwin's bulldogs (or somewhere in between, of course) and stick with it. You'll lose credibility if you viciously attack the liars for Jesus but then later ask, "why can't we all get along?"
That's a very good point! I think a lot of us are philosophically easy-going about these issues, yet have a lot of rage built up inside from years of dishonesty from the Creo side.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2008 :  18:24:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I were called upon to do this (whatever Powers That Might Be forbid!) I would try to keep it as simple as possible. A brief and directly to the point answer/statement with only the necessary elaboration will always trump a lot of complicated rhetoric (except in politics).

Best of luck with it! Wish I could tune it in... Would it be possible to get a transcript?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 02/23/2008 18:30:02
Go to Top of Page

BlueCollarScientist

23 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  09:38:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit BlueCollarScientist's Homepage Send BlueCollarScientist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The interview is now done. Hopefully I will have some video to post in the next day or two. Thank you very much for your advice - it was most helpful!

http://bluecollarscientist.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.