Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  15:10:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Pelayo

Every time I see billions, I think of Carl Sagan. "billions and billions"
Except he never said it. That was Johnny Carson's spoof of Sagan.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  18:55:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Every time I see billions, I think of Carl Sagan. "billions and billions"
Good comedy trumps good history.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  19:05:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave wrote:
Really! That's pretty funny.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  21:41:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

Really! That's pretty funny.
Unfortunately, nobody has thought to steal it for YouTube. I saw the clip on a documentary about Sagan.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  07:37:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love comments from reformed "Darwinists" when will these idiots learn that only fundies call us Darwinists. I just call us sane.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Pelayo
Skeptic Friend

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  11:09:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Pelayo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is no one going to say if this is right or wrong or an incomplete generalization?

"Creation and evolution theories are not complementary. Evolution does not explain the mechanism that caused the very first molecules to form up into primitive life forms so many millions billions of years ago."

I have a habit of posting without reading all previous comments, if I am repeating someone, well, excuse me, please.

"No tendency is quite so strong in human nature as the desire to lay down rules of conduct for other people." - William Howard Taft

"God ran out of new souls a long time ago and has been recycling jackasses." - Anon
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  11:25:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Is no one going to say if this is right or wrong or an incomplete generalization?

"Creation and evolution theories are not complementary. Evolution does not explain the mechanism that caused the very first molecules to form up into primitive life forms so many millions billions of years ago."
Well, scientists don't call theories dealing with the first life forms "creation" theories. The field is termed Abiogenesis, and it is indeed separate from the theory of evolution, which only deals with what happened to life once it appeared.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  11:36:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Well, scientists don't call theories dealing with the first life forms "creation" theories. The field is termed Abiogenesis, and it is indeed separate from the theory of evolution, which only deals with what happened to life once it appeared.

2nd that post, 100%. This drives me nuts but its easy to see how they connect the two, but it doesnt bug me as much as the linking of the big bang to evolution, which is far more asanine.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  11:38:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

I'd email for a free book, but the address he gives at his site is on the servers of these people, and there's no way I'm just going to hand them my email and street addresses.
So I guess you have to have special software to detect this sort of thing? And is it possible for a server to "steal" somehow an address? How does that work?
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  12:43:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

So I guess you have to have special software to detect this sort of thing?
Huh? No. It's the domain name (after the at-sign in the email address).
And is it possible for a server to "steal" somehow an address? How does that work?
It's their server, and their email software. Only a fool would prevent himself from seeing the addresses of the senders of the email he receives. As a business, you cover your ass by being sure you can turn over such data in case the cops come knocking with a warrant.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

shaun2000

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2008 :  09:04:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit shaun2000's Homepage Send shaun2000 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, this post took so long to appear I thought it wasn't going to get posted, so I'd stopped scanning for it.

Eleven to two against me, I don't think I'll find companionship on this board. So I'll continue on my lonely way.

Evolved Self Publishing
www.evolvedself.com
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2008 :  09:36:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by shaun2000

Sorry, this post took so long to appear I thought it wasn't going to get posted, so I'd stopped scanning for it.
It appeared instantly. This folder doesn't hold posts for moderation.
Eleven to two against me, I don't think I'll find companionship on this board. So I'll continue on my lonely way.
You could have attempted to make a case, instead of just hawking your book.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2008 :  10:52:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Who was #2? And why should you need a "friend"? If your "theory" is sound and you have evidence to back it up, it should withstand any criticism?

Or do you just want to post in friendly places where you don't have to defend yourself?

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2008 :  14:53:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by pleco

Who was #2? And why should you need a "friend"? If your "theory" is sound and you have evidence to back it up, it should withstand any criticism?

Or do you just want to post in friendly places where you don't have to defend yourself?
That's it. I suspect that he is aware that is book is nothing more than his unsubstantiated ideas. Ideas that can not stand the scrutiny from a site of skeptics. He cannot defend his ideas without falling back to denial of evidence or out right misrepresentation of facts. The members of this forum are not his target audience. Y'all think too much.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.