Massacre of the Ammonites
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  13:35:54  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am trying very hard here to reconcile the Old Testament with known geological and evolutionary knowledge. I assume the scene depicted below occurred during King David's reign, at the end of the Cretaceous Period.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  14:09:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seems like a lot to go through to molest a mollusc, doesn't it? Especally if the mollusc(s) in question is long extinct. King David never laid eyes on an living Ammonite (nor has anyone else), so one might think his army's attack on them was in the nature & tradition of an April Fool's gag.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 03/10/2008 14:21:14
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  14:12:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Seems like a lot to go through to molest a mollusc, doesn't it?

A "lot" to go through? Is this a pun? I was hoping you could confirm the biology of this image, Fil, not just make cheap Biblical jokes.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/10/2008 14:12:45
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  14:23:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Originally posted by filthy

Seems like a lot to go through to molest a mollusc, doesn't it?

A "lot" to go through? Is this a pun? I was hoping you could confirm the biology of this image, Fil, not just make cheap Biblical jokes.

Dig my edit.... And I must protest; after all, I didn't captalize 'lot.'

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  20:04:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"The Brick Testament" covers these events almost as well I did, though without proper Ammonites (probably because Lego doesn't make them).

Well, Fil, the Bible verse says David stayed in Jerusalem, so naturally after Joab got finished with them in Rabbah, there were no Ammonites for him to see. (Joab did good work.) David soon saw Bathsheda, however.

At least we see the explanation for an extinction there in 2 Samuel 11. We know we can assume David lived at the end of the upper Cretaceous. (There were giants in those days, too, and David took an active part in their extinction, as well.)

Wiki says the Ammonites became extinct at the same time the dinosaurs died off. I'm now trying to find the verses telling of the battle by the Israelites against the dinosaurs. That ought to make an even better post!

Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/10/2008 20:13:16
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  23:47:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bet you could get a lot of calamari out of a Parapuzosia seppenradensis. Maybe those genocidal maniacs were just high from all the acacia bark and looking for something to satisfy the munchies?

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  01:00:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

I bet you could get a lot of calamari out of a Parapuzosia seppenradensis. Maybe those genocidal maniacs were just high from all the acacia bark and looking for something to satisfy the munchies?

Man, did those thing get big!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  03:17:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When you consider the head, it wouldn't make as big a meal as one might think. Like the Nautilus of today, the animal only occupied the first chamber of it's shell, using the rest to regulate it's buoyancy.

Besides, didn't the Jews have some sort of hang-up over eating shellfish?

Ammonites first appear in the fossil record in the Paleozoic Era, some 415 million years prior to King David's dalliance with Bathsheba.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  03:56:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those really were cool critters. I suppose the nautilus isn't an ammonite, but it's amazingly beautiful, too. And extant, to boot.

BTW, some trivia. The city of Rabbah, seen burning in the background of my mangled image, is now called Amman and is the capital of Jordan. It was once also, in Hellenistic times, called Philadelphia.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/11/2008 04:06:29
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  04:28:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Both are Nautiloids and not-too-distantly related. Our current Nautilus is unique among extant cephalopods in that it can reproduce more than once. From the link:
Nautiluses are sexually dimorphic and reproduce by laying eggs. Attached to rocks in shallow waters, the eggs take eight to twelve months to develop before hatching out at around 30 mm long. Females spawn once per year and regenerate their gonads, making nautiluses the only cephalopods to present iteroparity or polycyclic spawning. The lifespan of nautiluses is about 20 years, which is exceptionally long for a cephalopod.
If what I've read about Bathsheba is true, Davey made the right choice. Loving is a lot more productive than fighting and vastly more satisfying. That idiot Joab can have it.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.