think for yourself
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  20:21:45  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting ads from Metro Newspaper promoting independent thinking involving a shadow figure controlling peoples' common activities.

This would probably be the most controversial:

See a bigger version here: http://www.scaryideas.com/print/6337/

Slightly more info on it here: http://www.advertolog.com/paedia/prints/2008/3/9/198829/

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 03/11/2008 20:22:09

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  20:34:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's really clever and nicely executed. The controversy itself should make it more effective in getting people to question things they do without much personal conscious thought.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  03:26:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Half wrote:
The controversy itself should make it more effective in getting people to question things they do without much personal conscious thought.
I agree. I also really like the voting one.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  18:41:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They're all quite good. I followed the links to a few places to see if I could read a bit more about the campaign itself.

I found a few discussions referring to these two:

It's called "Nazi" but that wasn't the first impression I got. For me, it could just have easily been about violent, rabid sports fans.

Also, some people assumed that this one:

Was the beginnings of a swastika, while others thought is was an "F". To me, that aspect doesn't really matter, although it seems unlikely that a campaign of 6 posters would include 2 specifically aimed at the same target.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  19:03:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the general idea, but for some reason it reminds me of the anti-drug ads which basically say, "If you do drugs, you're allowing others to control your life." which I absolutely despise.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  07:03:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ricky wrote:
I like the general idea, but for some reason it reminds me of the anti-drug ads which basically say, "If you do drugs, you're allowing others to control your life." which I absolutely despise.
I would have agreed except for the voting ad. It seems absurd to think they are saying don't vote because voting is not thinking for yourself. Rather, I think they are pointing out that many people do vote going with a social flow rather than actually researching and weighing the issues/candidates in their own mind. I suspect this whole campaign is largely meant to provoke thought, not tell people what they shouldn't do.

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  09:22:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suspect this whole campaign is largely meant to provoke thought, not tell people what they shouldn't do.

That's how I interpreted the meaning as well. I merely meant that it is reminiscent of the drug commercial. I wasn't trying to imply they have the same message.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  10:47:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So that's what culture looks like.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.