Religion
 This is going to be bad.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  03:34:38  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PZ Myers had the unfortunate luck to run across the Rapture Ready site. Thing is, the particular article he ran across is bad enough that even I'm taken aback.

This is the most creepy thing I've heard on that site; Shit, just read it; I have no idea how to classify it.

This past Wednesday, my messenger left this world to carry out her mission. A few days before she lapsed into coma, I grabbed my mother's hand and told her, "As firmly as I'm holding your hand, I want you to hold Jesus' hand until you're on the other side."

There are two important statistics to note:

1. Each month about 160,000 people visit Rapture Ready.
2. Every year, the mortality rate claims around 1 percent of the population.

Internet usage by the elderly is somewhat lower than that of the general population, but it still means that hundreds of you people who are reading this right now will not be here the same time next year.

For you folks who become part of the mortality figures in the coming days, I commission you with the same task: When you meet the King of Kings, please ask Him to pour His grace and guidance on this web ministry.

You unsaved folks who happen to be reading this article and think it is total nonsense, you are pure gold to this cause. Once you meet your unfortunate end, you'll cry out 10 times louder from bowels of hell than a saved person who might be distracted by the glories of heaven.

For the 99 percent of you who will wait on the rapture--for at least the next year--I ask you to also solicit God in prayer for His blessing on RR. The one good thing about death is that it reminds us that nothing is more important in life than promoting a cause that advances the gospel message.

I'm just stunned at all the prophetic activity we see in the news today. I don't have any overwhelming sadness for Mother parting, because I know a reunion will be short in coming.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

Edited by - the_ignored on 03/18/2008 04:03:10

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  04:12:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beautiful! Just beautiful! I laughed, I cried, I almost hyperventilated.... And if PZ didn't (I'm sure he did), he missed a damned, god good chance.

Pretty awful, isn't it? I mean, how can anyone take these boneheads seriously when they spew such crap? Unfortunately, when you get right down to it, it's something of sad commentary on us all.

Betcha Mom forgot all about her promise, although there's no way to prove it...... Unless.... unless RR's traffic increases by orders of magnitude, in a very short time.

Anybody bored enough to wanna keep track of it?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  04:26:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the Pharyngula commentators already noted that just by posting that, PZ has made it more likely that his prayers will be answered. So, what do I do? I do the same thing! I posted that here AND at fstdt.com! What the hell, eh?

They won't ever change, may as well feed them until they realize the rapture isn't going to happen.

(excerpt follows):
>
>

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  15:18:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been a semi-member on Rapture Ready Forum for some 8 years or so, but I haven't been active or even lurking there the last five years.
I grew bored of it.
At least half of them are indeed delusional enough to qualify for a visit to the local asylum for the insane. As evidence of that, I submit that some of them are actually proud of ending up on Fundies Says the Darndest Things.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  15:47:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

As evidence of that, I submit that some of them are actually proud of ending up on Fundies Says the Darndest Things.
WOW just WOW. I knew that site existed, but have never bothered to visit. It has just become one of my favorites for those times I need to . This is a gem my ribs still ache.
One of the most basic laws in the universe is the Second Law of Thermodynamics. This states that as time goes by, entropy in an environment will increase. Evolution argues differently against a law that is accepted EVERYWHERE BY EVERYONE. Evolution says that we started out simple, and over time became more complex. That just isn't possible: UNLESS there is a giant outside source of energy supplying the Earth with huge amounts of energy. If there were such a source, scientists would certainly know about it. [emphasis added]

awesomestnerd

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  15:56:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by moakley

As evidence of that, I submit that some of them are actually proud of ending up on Fundies Says the Darndest Things.
WOW just WOW. I knew that site existed, but have never bothered to visit. It has just become one of my favorites for those times I need to . This is a gem my ribs still ache.
One of the most basic laws in the universe is the Second Law of Thermodynamics. This states that as time goes by, entropy in an environment will increase. Evolution argues differently against a law that is accepted EVERYWHERE BY EVERYONE. Evolution says that we started out simple, and over time became more complex. That just isn't possible: UNLESS there is a giant outside source of energy supplying the Earth with huge amounts of energy. If there were such a source, scientists would certainly know about it. [emphasis added]

awesomestnerd

I do hope someone takes awesomenerd gently by the hand and leads him outside, then encourages him him to look up. Keerist, that is just too silly, even for an ignoramous.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 03/18/2008 15:58:26
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  16:15:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Originally posted by moakley

awesomestnerd

I do hope someone takes awesomenerd gently by the hand and leads him outside, then encourages him him to look up. Keerist, that is just too silly, even for an ignoramous.

Silly people, the sun is just a Light, as create by God in Gen Chapter 1:16! Flashlights don't give no energy, they take it from batteries. It's the same thing!

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Zebra
Skeptic Friend

USA
354 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  19:37:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Zebra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This past Wednesday, my messenger left this world to carry out her mission.
He should say, "she finally left this world," since his article starts by bemoaning commenting how she hung around for about 1.5 yrs after the doctors said she was a goner. Did Todd [the author of this bit o' fluff from RR] ever stop to think that maybe God didn't want his mom in Heaven?

The other thing I don't get is why he didn't take this golden opportunity to have his mom send a prearranged signal back from the hereafter. One they had written down, in front of witnesses, & sealed in a vault or something. Sheesh, isn't he interested in proving to us skeptics that he's not just full of sh*t?

A few days before she lapsed into coma, I grabbed my mother's hand and told her, "As firmly as I'm holding your hand, I want you to hold Jesus' hand until you're on the other side."
"Then let go really quick, 'cuz He has cooties."

There are two important statistics to note:

1. Each month about 160,000 people visit Rapture Ready.
Or 160 deluded people visit 1000 times each. So they won't be a moment late in finding out from RR when the rapture is going to arrive.

2. Every year, the mortality rate claims around 1 percent of the population.
The crude death rate is ~0.8%/yr in the United States & ~1% in Sweden, but is below 0.3%/yr in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Jordan, & the United Arab Emirates (lotsa youngsters, also reasonable access to health care, I guess). It's 3%/yr in Swaziland, and over 2% in 9 other African countries. But I guess Todd, writing for RR, isn't figuring those folks in...or, contrariwise, maybe he's a math whiz who is comfortable averaging across the world's population. Yeah.

Internet usage by the elderly is somewhat lower than that of the general population,
Usage may, indeed, be especially low among people who are going to die of old age in the next year. "Hey, Mildred, it's Saturday night in the nursing home. Want to go surf the web? We can visit the Rapture Ready site & see whether we even need to take our heart medication tonight!"

but it still means that hundreds of you people who are reading this right now will not be here the same time next year.
Yeah. Especially if you live in Africa and are HIV+ or have malaria.

For you folks who become part of the mortality figures in the coming days, I commission you with the same task: When you meet the King of Kings, please ask Him to pour His grace and guidance on this web ministry.
Todd means, "...because my prayers don't seem to be working. I need someone who has an in with the Big Guy."

You unsaved folks who happen to be reading this article and think it is total nonsense,
Wow. Todd is psychic.

you are pure gold to this cause.
Aw, *shucks*

Once you meet your unfortunate end, you'll cry out 10 times louder from bowels of hell
Well, finally. I have always wanted to cry out from the bowels of something!

than a saved person who might be distracted by the glories of heaven.
By those 72 virgins, you mean?

For the 99 percent of you who will wait on the rapture--for at least the next year--I ask you to also solicit God in prayer for His blessing on RR.
"...because He damn well doesn't seem to be answering my prayers for RR."

The one good thing about death is that it reminds us that nothing is more important in life than promoting a cause that advances the gospel message.
OK, now this is pathetic. Not surprising, but pathetic.

I'm just stunned at all the prophetic activity we see in the news today.
Yeah, yeah. When all you have is a desperate misguided fantasy, everything looks like it's fulfilling that fantasy.

I don't have any overwhelming sadness for Mother parting, because I know a reunion will be short in coming.
"Later, Mom. You'll be glad to know I'm not sad about you kicking the bucket. I'm going to move to Africa, catch HIV & have no access to health care like millions of other people, so I will be joining you soon."

[Edited to clarify which "he" is Todd and which "he" is god. They're not the same, you know.]

I think, you know, freedom means freedom for everyone* -Dick Cheney

*some restrictions may apply
Edited by - Zebra on 03/18/2008 19:45:16
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  21:22:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The guy mentioned in the OP is hardly broken up by his Mom's death, but is quite willing to use her as a messenger. Pretty sick and selfish to use up her last moments like that. If I have such an opportunity to be with my own mother at her death, I'm just going to spend the time trelling her how much I love her, and appreciate all she did to raise me.

This uncaring jerk just wants his dying mom to be his messenger pigeon. Ain't batshit fundy Christians nice?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  21:38:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

The guy mentioned in the OP is hardly broken up by his Mom's death, but is quite willing to use her as a messenger. Pretty sick and selfish to use up her last moments like that. If I have such an opportunity to be with my own mother at her death, I'm just going to spend the time trelling her how much I love her, and appreciate all she did to raise me.

This uncaring jerk just wants his dying mom to be his messenger pigeon. Ain't batshit fundy Christians nice?

To be honest, this makes sense to me. If you believe she has went to a far better place, why be upset? If you believe you are going to see her again and relatively soon, then why be upset? He is acting correctly in my opinion. The christians who get upset when loved ones die have little faith.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  22:33:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by pleco
To be honest, this makes sense to me. If you believe she has went to a far better place, why be upset? If you believe you are going to see her again and relatively soon, then why be upset? He is acting correctly in my opinion. The christians who get upset when loved ones die have little faith.
The behavior may make sense from a committed Christian perspective. However, that only stresses for me how sick a delusion it actually is. More and more I'm forced to conclude that Christianity is nothing but a cult which actually celebrates death.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  00:31:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is probably how the early believers were able to overcome their fear of death in the first place; is that not one of the main reasons for the formation of religions in the first place?

(excerpt follows):
>
>

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds.