Creation/Evolution
 YECs ruin a museum trip; inoculate against science
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  23:45:05  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is bad: (originally from here) and also caught by PZ Myers.

From the Friendly Atheist site:
Tell the children that everything they're seeing is false.

Says a Christian tour guide from this group: "We're trained to think like evolutionists. We need to think like Creationists."

BC Tours' guides say evolution is a religion.

They ignore the exhibit on radiometric dating because they "don't have time" to cover everything.

They say the museum doesn't use good science and then support their own claims by stating, "The Bible says so."

Highlight of the video is at the 7:26 mark.

is about all I can bring myself to say

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

Edited by - the_ignored on 03/24/2008 23:48:25

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  04:30:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It will be a while before I can comment because it takes my machine nigh onto forever to load a video. Which is why I seldom bother, but will this time just to see an expert on evolution in action.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  07:21:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Damn! I can only load about a minute of it. But that was enough to sort of get the gist of it, anyway. Wish I could have seen more detail, though.

Is it child abuse to spoon-feed small children false information? I'd say so, as these kids, unless they take a lot of remedial courses, will never be able to make careers in science (of course, if the Moonies sponser them, then they can do bullshit for ID).

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Risendemonx

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  07:34:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Risendemonx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I lived the majority of my life in Colorado Springs, basically the Salt Lake City of evangelical Christianity. In fact, I lived in a neighborhood right between Focus on the Family and New life Church (formerly Ted Haggard's church). I went to Highschool with the son of the guy who wrote the Left Behind series.

That said, I went to the Denver Museum of Natural History. One saturday, I actually saw this group in the museum, and I have to say, with the environment I described above, they aren't exactly hurting for business either. Brainwash your kids for a mere dollars a day.

Religion is one thing, but telling your children to ignore and disaprove of science, and in such a cool museum so rich in information? It makes my mind implode.

One thing's for sure though, With Christian parents dumbing down their own children, all the well paying technical jobs are going to be wide open for the children of level-headed parents!

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry, and is generally considered to have been a bad move."
--
Douglas Adams, The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Go to Top of Page

Risendemonx

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  07:42:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Risendemonx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wow, now I didn't know about this one:
http://bctours.org/Art%20Museum%20News.htm
Biblically Correct Art Tour called, "Heart of Art" teaches students God's guidelines for what makes good art or bad art.

So not only are they fighting the sciences, but they are going for the arts too!

If it didn't come from them, I would think this one was a satire:
http://bctours.org/News_GOG.htm
Garden of the gods, or Garden of God's Creation?
Biblically Correct Tours led a group of home-school students through the Garden of the Gods national park in early September teaching the Bible and claiming that the rock formation were not millions of years old, but thousands of years old. The home-school group was from Pueblo, CO. They insisted that the name, "Garden of the Gods" is suggesting that these historic rock formations are "worthy of worship". They would rather call the park "Garden of God's Creation" suggesting that God created the rock formations.

*HEADDESK*

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry, and is generally considered to have been a bad move."
--
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  08:01:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Risendemonx
One thing's for sure though, With Christian parents dumbing down their own children, all the well paying technical jobs are going to be wide open for the children of level-headed parents!

In truth, it'd likely only be the biological and geological-based sciences that would be more open...When it comes to IT fields, creationism isn't all that relevant.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

Risendemonx

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  08:16:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Risendemonx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yep, and coincidentally, the geological sciences are really, *really* hurting to find good geoscientists.

I don't know though, creationism isn't just anti-biology and anti-geology, it's anti-critical thought. One must have a logical mind to work in physics, engineering, IT, and other technical fields, and while the occasional creationist may slip through the cracks, I think it's far more likely for somebody taught correct critical thinking skills at an earlier age to get a job like that than somebody taught to be cynical of everything outside of their ancient book.

--
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  08:23:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a scene in the clip where the tour guide is asked by the interviewer why dinosaurs are never found in the same layer as, say, humans. (I'm paraphrasing.) The guide admits that this is a problem for creation science, from a scientific perspective.

The thing is, science is not important to a biblical literalist, exactly. They come into this with the certainty of who created the earth and all the creatures on it and how long it took. Any science that does not agree is therefore wrong. They don't have to prove it wrong, because it just must be.

Groups like the ICR, armed with that knowledge, do spend a lot if time trying to poke holes in evolution. But that is more akin to proselytizing than doing science because special creation is not only the default position for these people, it is the truth. It's not contest.

The clip made me feel sad for those kids...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds.