Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  19:26:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dang, I could tell what it was by reading the title. By the end of the first section I recognized it as a parody of The Secret. C'mon people.

@

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  20:34:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it appears that the jig is up.

For those of you who weren't sure about what Michelle was up to, and for those of you who thought she lost her mind or was skeptically challenged:

April Fools!!!

Did anyone bother to check her sources??? I recommend that you do.

She did indeed use the
The Secret as the main focus of her parody. (She also used some Ram Das styling as well as some other wooish self help guru's for inspiration.)

Here is a youtube link to Bob Proctor, who explains The Secret, and its assertion to a Universal Law of Attraction, the manipulation of which just happens to be the central thesis of The Secret.

Now that the jig is up, I will probably write a new introduction to her essay, unless you all think it should remain the way it is.

This is a skeptic's site after all…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  20:52:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Two sentences in I looked up at the date.... waited to see if anyone would take a bite though.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  21:13:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it should stay as is.

I can put a big "April Fools!" in the OP of this thread, though, just so its easy to find.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  22:49:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kil.....

I totally missed the date, didn't even think about it being April Fool's Day, the more I read, the more I squinted, by one fourth through I was furiously revising my considered opinion of you due to your choice of girlfriends, you got me hook, line and sucker!!!! So help me, I'll find a way to get even!
There's no fool like an old fool!!
Edited by - bngbuck on 04/03/2008 22:52:46
Go to Top of Page

perrodetokio
Skeptic Friend

275 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  10:34:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send perrodetokio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hahaha! Yeah, I thought it was meant seriously as well! I kept thinking: WTF! And also: Why people in this site (specially Dave and Kil) are not tearing a new A-hole in this piece?

Well, now I know (and knowing itīs half the battle - G.I. Joe).

Cheers!

"Yes I have a belief in a creator/God but do not know that he exists." Bill Scott

"They are still mosquitoes! They did not turn into whales or lizards or anything else. They are still mosquitoes!..." Bill Scott

"We should have millions of missing links or transition fossils showing a fish turning into a philosopher..." Bill Scott
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  11:38:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

Humbert.....

I just don't think we're the type of crowd to fall for it.

According to Dude, we just did!
Speak for yourself. While I may not have realized it was an April Fools' prank, I most certainly pegged it as a hoax. Not my fault if you didn't listen to me...

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  15:46:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Humbert.....

Speak for yourself.
I just did, yesterday! I thought the woman was a certified woo-lou!

You said:
I believe this was Michelle's attempt to play at L. Ron's game. In my opinion, she needs to pass out this info at one of those New Age conventions.
So you see Hubbard as a hoaxer? I always felt he was a serious manipulator - starting from serious science fiction (successful SF author), proceeding to pseudo-psychiatry (Dianetics), meeting with some acceptance and proceeding to build a monstrous con-game (Scientology) designed to milk millions from movie stars and other deluded idiots!

I guess that could certainly be seen as hoax, but certainly not in the sense of benign trickster such as Michelle seems to be. (I am giving her and Kil the benefit of the doubt here, at least they didn't get to the point of selling self-help tracts!)
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  16:04:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck
I guess that could certainly be seen as hoax, but certainly not in the sense of benign trickster such as Michelle seems to be. (I am giving her and Kil the benefit of the doubt here, at least they didn't get to the point of selling self-help tracts!)
Right, which is why I said Michelle was only playing at it. Tell me, bngbuck, why is that you always need "clarification" that people don't intend the most malicious reading you can give to any sentence? You seem to love to plumb the depths of words like "pimp" and "hoax" searching for any slight you might conjure up. It's as if you enjoy controversy and create it whenever you see an opening. Even in threads in which I haven't even really participated I see you clumsily tauting me by name. Whatever reaction you hope to achieve, you aren't the smooth manipulator you think yourself to be. You're trolling powers are weak, old man.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  18:10:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hummer.....

It's as if you enjoy controversy
Well, it is fun, as I've detailed elsewhere, for a poor old demented fool who really doesn't have anything else to do with his remaining days but taunt the puppies! Look at this post of yours! Did you have to write it? You could have commented on your views of L Ron Hubbard, but you chose to direct words like "tell me" and "searching for any slight" and "you enjoy controversy and create it" and "clumsily tauting me", "you aren't the smooth manipulator" and "You're(sic)trolling powers are weak, old man."

Hummer why not just respond to the intent of my post instead of flaunting your sensitivity to perceived affront where none was intended? Why write spontaneous comments totally out of context to the topic being discussed like - "does anybody pay any attention to bngbuck, anymore?" - when I had not addressed anything to you or mentioned your name? Why are you surprised at taunt returned?

As to my trolling powers, your comment implies expertise! I would appreciate any tips you can offer!

Anyway, I apologize for successfully manipulating you and I shall attempt to restrain myself from forcing you to post unpleasant comments as you have here!
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  18:21:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Humbert.....

Even in threads in which I haven't even really participated I see you clumsily tauting me by name.
Oh yeah, Hummer I've got to tell you that I really love you, and Dude, and Marf more than you will ever know! You can't build a proper straw man without grasping at straws!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  19:18:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You guys are kidding, right? Go take it to PM's if you must, but stop flaming in this thread now!!!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

froydnslp

22 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  19:54:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send froydnslp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay Humbert and bngbuck. Michelle here. Unless your intention is to become the best of friends, based on "Newton's Third Law" and all that it implies, stop it!!!

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  21:34:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Humbert.....

Well, ipse dixit = sticky thicket, Hummer! Bye, Bye!
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  22:41:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
froydenslip.....

Michelle, I would say welcome to SFN except that I somehow feel you've been around here for a while; however I'm glad you're here anyway! I understand you've worked with disturbed children, and I am really glad to hear that because I am one! I need someone to understand me, and that obviously isn't going to happen with Kil or Dave. I'm sure I can gull you into believing I'm really harmless and loveable even though I've failed miserably with D&K!

Back in the Dark Ages, I had a little academic exposure to the craft in which you work and aspire to further matriculate. I try to keep up with some of the literature, but with the advent of serious psychopharmacology in the late 20th century, things have changed so much that I frequently feel that I am too seriously deficient in the disciplines of chemistry and microbiology necessary to really understand the subtleties of behavior modification possible in today's brave new world.

Actually, Humbert's statement.....
It's as if you enjoy controversy and create it whenever you see an opening.
.....isn't too far from the mark, although I would never tell him that! (I would appreciate it if you wouldn't, either!)

I do get a kick out of playing circumambagious insult games when attacked - hence the 'disturbed child' comment above. It is childish, and I should be chided for it, but hell, when a guy is pushing eighty, he ought to be allowed some taste of a second childhood!

I fell for your joke exactly as intended because I lack the briskness of perception than the young Turks have. It's been a long time since I even thought about April Fools Day!

But you have an engaging literary style and could easily write for a living. Good work, Michelle, and keep it up!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.