Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Creation/Evolution
 Y'know, maybe I should'a put this'n in humor....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  14:31:33  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
UcD's Denyse O'Leary, O'course.

"11 April 2008
Expelled - and Baylor's passion for Darwin - 4
O'Leary
A couple of days ago, I highlighted a recent op-ed in the Waco Tribune celebrating Baylor's faculty's cleverness in keeping their affair with Darwin at a discreet distance from lay Baptist donors for decades.

A friend has kindly trolled through Web arcana at Baylor and noted for me the depth of the passion in the Geology department:

Baylor's Geology department's FAQS ask, among other things, ”What is science?” and suggest as further reading:

Scott, E.C., 2004, Evolution vs. creationism — an introduction: Berkeley, University of California Press, 272 p., ISBN 0-520-24650-0, noting that Chapter 1, Science: “truth without certainty,” is “particularly relevant.”

Yes, that's Darwin lobbyist Eugenie Scott of the NCSE. To what is her work so particularly relevant?

I find it interesting that nowhere on the list are authoritative Christian history of science scholars such as Owen Gingerich, John Polkinghorne, or Alister McGrath These guys are not friends of design, but they are rigorous and non-heretical Christian thinkers who have thought carefully about the issues around “What is science?” More to the point, none of these scientist-scholars represents a political lobby.

In their “Does the fossil record support the idea of biological change over time (biological evolution)?” FAQ, the department suggests reading, among others:

Dawkins, R., 1995, River out of eden - a Darwinian view of life: New York, Basic Books, 172 p., ISBN 0-465-01606-5.

Yes, that's Richard Dawkins. And Simon Conway Morris, a highly respected Christian paleontologist, author of Crucible of Creation and Life's Solution (and not a design fan either) is inexplicably absent from the list.

This too surprised me. I would expect a Christian university to make a point of encouraging students to read good science theory written by Christians, when applicable, to encourage them to integrate their faith with excellence. As well as the others, of course.

Instead, as I noted in the earlier post, the Biology department has the frosh reading the only genuine lightweight that I am aware of in the entire category, Francis Collins."

Erm, Denyse dear, did it not occure to you that Baylor, like any compentent university, wants only the best available in their classrooms?

But that's the silly part, not the funny one. The laughs start when you open the last link in her blurt.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds.