Lets Play Hardball!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  20:27:00  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Hardball, Matthews and Shuster critiqued Obama's "weird" beverage selection at Indiana diner
Summary: On Hardball, while remarking on Sen. Barack Obama's reported request for orange juice after being offered coffee at an Indiana diner, David Shuster asserted: "[I]t's just one of those sort of weird things. You know, when the owner of the diner says, 'Here, have some coffee,' you say, 'Yes, thank you,' and, 'Oh, can I also please have some orange juice, in addition to this?' You don't just say, 'No, I'll take orange juice,' and then turn away and start shaking hands." Host Chris Matthews agreed, "You don't ask for a substitute on the menu."

Click the link and watch video. Sure, there have been more inane conversations on Hardball. But off the top of my head, I can't think of any...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  20:35:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The fact that they have to bring up minute crap like this shows that they don't have any real dirt on the guy.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  20:53:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil
Click the link and watch video. Sure, there have been more inane conversations on Hardball. But off the top of my head, I can't think of any...
Is that a joke? The entire program is a waste. Yes, much of Matthews' hate is directed at Clinton and so perhaps in some circles it is thought of as normal. But it's good to see that when it is directed at the Obama crowd, they wake up and understand how bad our mainstream media are.
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 04/11/2008 20:54:13
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  23:00:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Originally posted by Kil
Is that a joke? The entire program is a waste. Yes, much of Matthews' hate is directed at Clinton and so perhaps in some circles it is thought of as normal. But it's good to see that when it is directed at the Obama crowd, they wake up and understand how bad our mainstream media are.
Erm, I get media matters in my email box almost every day. I know about Matthews attacks on Clinton. I just kinda thought this one was funny, eh? Maybe I put this in the wrong folder...

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  07:07:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
90% of cable news is a ridiculous waste of time and energy. Fer cryin out loud... CNN and Wolf Blitzer went on for over 90 minutes, without commercial interuption, on the stupid gdam olympic torch in San Fran. Complete retards.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  08:39:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I watch this show pretty regularly and I recall Chris mentioning that a lot of what they talk about on the show is a reflection of how little actual news there is. On some nights there's so little of substance to report on they analyze the unimportant to the nth degree. You don't realize it until the show is over but there have been a lot of show like that recently.

Last night's outrage for me what Kitty Pilgrim on CNN trying her damnest to turn Obama's "bitter" comments into a scandal. At the end of the show she looked like she was going to cry when she read the results of one of their polls about the issue which indicated the majority viewers didn't think it was a big deal.

On a slow news weekend we should see the pundits go ape shit over this one.

@

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  10:37:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@:
I watch this show pretty regularly and I recall Chris mentioning that a lot of what they talk about on the show is a reflection of how little actual news there is.

That's because they are looking for controversy and not news. I have no idea why you or anyone watches that crap...

I think I will move this thread to the Media folder.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  11:23:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's because they are looking for controversy and not news. I have no idea why you or anyone watches that crap...

You're right, and these shows seem designed to make people frustrated or even angry with something. Lou Dobbs is a perfect example of this. There are a few good analysts on these shows, like Jeffrey Toobin, on CNN. One of the best things I heard him say in regard to election coverage was that, "because the candidates or so close to each other on so many positions we(TV pundits) try to make a big deal out of everything else going on in the campaign." I was just paraphrasing but it was a great comment that actually made me start paying less attention to the coverage and only then was I able to get my blood pressure down.

@

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  14:44:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote

DING! DING! DING! WE HAVE A WINNAH!

Cable "news" is based on the Spinger (Jerry) model for TV programs. Two (or more) ignorant fools arguing and fighting. They don't REPORT diddly shit, they just get two fuckwits who don't know shit, but have opposite opinions on everything in general, to argue about what other people said!

In general, I despise them. They are nothing but useless tabloid rags, they are less usefull for obtaining factual content than the typical tabloid also.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  15:43:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In general, I despise them. They are nothing but useless tabloid rags, they are less usefull for obtaining factual content than the typical tabloid also.

You had it, then lost it. Cable news has its place and it does report news. You just have to realize that they need viewers and they have 24 hours to fill so they repeat a lot of crap. To just dismiss them the way you did is well, sorta the same thing you knocked cable news for.

@

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  16:22:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by @tomic

You had it, then lost it. Cable news has its place and it does report news. You just have to realize that they need viewers and they have 24 hours to fill so they repeat a lot of crap. To just dismiss them the way you did is well, sorta the same thing you knocked cable news for.

@

But there IS so much new out there to report! What I hate is how there's so much emphasis on the horse race of politics, and not on the substance of what the candidate says.

How many times have we seen pundits speculate on how so-and-so's latest action (speech, dress, faux paus, etc.) will affect voters? Wouldn't it be better to have a discussion on so-and-so's economic policy ideas with real economists?? Wouldn't it be better if lies and half-truths were exposed, so that politicians know they can't get away with it anymore?

It's all very frustrating.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  20:39:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a fine example of what I'm talking about.

The guy is on the money with his assessment of rural midwesterners. They are not just bitter, but they are fucking pissed!

But rather than the 24 hour news cycle taking a look at the lives of these people, looking at their situation and seeing how close to the money Obama's comments are (most of my family are poor, rural midwesterners who have almost all lost their manufacturing jobs to NAFTA).... they are playing the "election" angle. Ohhhhh! That uppity negro called white people bitter! Lets get the reaction from Clinton! Clinton says he is an out of touch elitist! Ohhhh SNAP! ITS ON! ITS ON NOW! CLAW HIS EYES OUT CRAZY BITCH! JUST MAKE SURE WE GET IT ON TAPE!

If there is a single bit of good done by the 24 hour news channels, they undo it 10fold with their tabloidism.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

Maverick
Skeptic Friend

Sweden
385 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  22:48:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Maverick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Add that to the already long list of reasons why I can't be the president of the USA. I don't drink coffee, I detest it, and I will not drink it for anyone, or anything. Surely the diner's owner and his/her employees will be more than happy to make my dining experience as pleasant as possible? Or do people think that exactly everyone like the same beverages?

"Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy." -- Carl Sagan
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  04:06:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the other hand, if Obama had requested the brand of bellywash sponsering Hardballoks, they'd likely have gone orgasmic with praise like the corporate concubines that they are. I really don't know if any soda-pop outfit is among their sponsers, but that's not the point, is it? You get my drift. Hacks of their sort are another of the reasons why I don't watch a lot of TV nor have cable/satelite.

I think it's good to see that Obama is avoiding excess' of both coffee and soda. The guy likes his health.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  05:22:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Wouldn't it be better to have a discussion on so-and-so's economic policy ideas with real economists??

It's all very frustrating.
I agree, but considering the average consumer and including the below average, who consider sound bytes to be substantive knowledge how do you reduce the complexities of economic policies to something pithy and memorable. I can see the eyes of Joe sixpack and Betty makeup glazing over.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.