Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  14:48:21  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If given the chance, face-to-face, what one question would you ask the Pope?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  15:23:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where do you want it?

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  15:26:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't wanna talk to that asshole. What good would it do?

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  16:02:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Are you willing to give up everything you believe in if doing so brought peace, progress and reduced human suffering? *

*(I assume, if he bothered to answer at all, he'd say "no", likely suspecting I was the devil tempting him. Of course, that's a trade-off too as it would imply that he supports war, restraint of progress and more human suffering.)

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  16:31:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dunno.... It'd be an Only Once! chance and it'd be unforgivable to get it wrong. Lemmee think....... Ouch! Thinking's hard!

I think (ouch) that I would ask something along the lines of: "What is the relevance of religion in the modern world beyond acting as a social binder and a panacea for irrational fears of the dark?"

You will note that I was generous and left the for-profit part out. Don't really want to be responsible for the old geezer's coronary.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 04/17/2008 16:44:06
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  16:36:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Chippewa

Are you willing to give up everything you believe in if doing so brought peace, progress and reduced human suffering? *

*(I assume, if he bothered to answer at all, he'd say "no", likely suspecting I was the devil tempting him. Of course, that's a trade-off too as it would imply that he supports war, restraint of progress and more human suffering.)
I'm afraid he would answer, "Oh, my son! Only with greater faith can we achieve these noble goals!"

I would perhaps only ask him this one question:

Have you yet publicly renounced your Hitler Youth prayers?:
Adolf Hitler, you are our great Führer. Thy name makes the enemy tremble. Thy Third Reich comes, thy will alone is law upon the earth. Let us hear daily thy voice and order us by thy leadership, for we will obey to the end and even with our lives. We praise thee! Heil Hitler!

Führer, my Führer, give me by God. Protect and preserve my life for long. You saved Germany in time of need. I thank you for my daily bread. Be with me for a long time, do not leave me, Führer, my Führer, my faith, my light, Hail to my Führer!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  16:57:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

What's the largest lake in the world?

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  21:39:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Do you need a curator specializing in Mesopotamian studies for the Vatican Museum? I work for cheap!
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  22:06:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr Pope, why does the catholic church, the organization of which you are in charge, the organization which funds very large missionary organizations in Africa, have an official policy against the distribution and use of condoms (the only effective means of stemming the spread of HIV) in nations where 70% of the adult population is infected with HIV?

Follow up question: Why do your priests like to fuck kids, why did the church have an official policy (written by you yourself before the last asshole died) to cover up the kidfucking, and why were the kidfucking priests protected by the church instead of turned over to the authorities for criminal prosecution.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  22:21:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"How precisely does one pronounce 'Sieg Heil?'"

Preferably on German soil...

--------------------------------------------------
- dglas (In the hell of 1000 unresolved subplots...)
The Presupposition of Intrinsic Evil
+ A Self-Justificatory Framework
= The "Heart of Darkness"
Edited by - dglas on 04/17/2008 22:23:41
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  10:31:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pope, do you believe that the angel Gabriel spoke to Muhammad in a cave on Mount Hira in the year 610 CE?
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  11:18:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kil.....

What's the largest lake in the world?
OK Kil, you've got me going. Why would Pope Benedict be knowledgable about #1086;#769;#1079;#1077;#1088;#1086; #1041;#1072;#1081;#1082;#1072;#769;#1083;, or Lake Baikal in Siberia? I mean, Catholicism has always appeared to me as a bottomless pit of murky obscurity, but I have always thought that the fabric of the faith wouldn't hold a drop of water, much less 20% of the world's supply of fresh surface H2O! So, what gives? Holy water?
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  11:48:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Easy answer: the Lake of Fire in Hell, which is where all you blasphemous scumbags are going to end up if you don't accept Jesus as your savior and start tithing to the church so's the Blessed Benny can have more red shoes than Imelda Marcos.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  12:46:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Filth.....

Yes, but Kil said in the world and you must know that the Russians drilled a bore hole 49,210 ft deep and found indisputable evidence of Hell (temperatures exceeding 350 degrees fahrenheit). The Church stopped the Russians at this point, fearing the escape of the Devil!

Anyway, it has been IDD (Intelligent Design Dogma) ever since that Hell is, indeed, just a short distance beneath our feet, and the Lake of Fire is merrily burning away sub terra not on the surface! ....uh, Kil said in the world which would include everything inside the sphere, so you are right....uh, except most of the ID'ers are flat-earthers which makes you wrong again, because they must be right! Right?
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  18:25:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The largest lake question is my go to trivia question when I am asked to ask something, for no particular reason.

“Do you have any questions?”

Once, back in the AOL days, there was a members chat room called “Ask a Lesbian Anything.” Unable (or unwilling) to resist, entered the room and asked the lake question.

I was ignored.

To this day I feel that it was wrong for that lesbian to ignore me, given the name of her chat room…

Come to think of it, I suspect the Pope would ignore the question too. But who knows? Benny might be a fan of trivia.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  05:04:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

The largest lake question is my go to trivia question when I am asked to ask something, for no particular reason.

“Do you have any questions?”

Once, back in the AOL days, there was a members chat room called “Ask a Lesbian Anything.” Unable (or unwilling) to resist, entered the room and asked the lake question.

I was ignored.

To this day I feel that it was wrong for that lesbian to ignore me, given the name of her chat room…

Come to think of it, I suspect the Pope would ignore the question too. But who knows? Benny might be a fan of trivia.

Then ask (stand on his feet so's he can't get away) "Where are the Snowdens of yesteryear?" That question served Yosarian well, back when our Benny was a Hitler Youth.

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 04/19/2008 05:06:47
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.