Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Politics
 You are all CURSED, each & every one of you!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  07:56:14  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They say that politics make for strange bedfellows and really, I can't much argue with that, 'cause that's the way it often happens. But why, I wonder, would any politician, sane or otherwise, snuggle up to a rabid, end-time whackadork like Hagee? The man, either of them actually, just ain't right in his head nor his heart.
McCain Endorser Pastor John Hagee: God Curse and Doom America

By Bruce Wilson Wed Apr 30, 2008 at 02:21:26 PM EST

"As a nation, America is under the curse of God, even now." That ominous slam at America came from Pastor John Hagee, whose endorsement Republican presidential candidate John McCain sought, secured, and recently affirmed to ABC News that he is "glad to have." Hagee claims God's "curse" and "doom" is upon America because of two key issues: reproductive freedom and broad support for the teaching of the theory of evolution.

Looks a little like J. Edgar Hoover out of drag, doesn't he?

Hagee gets even stranger as he goes along.
In "America Under a Curse," a seventeen page chapter in Day of Deception, John Hagee wrote, "As a nation, America is under the curse of God, even now. Look at the scriptures and see for yourself. The stand we have taken on abortion, the stand we have taken against God in our classrooms, just may have sealed or[sic] doom."

In Hagee's telling there's a whole taxonomy of divine curses that afflict Americans and all of Homo Sapiens - curses on individuals, curses on families, curses on nations and curses on mankind. "The Curse on America" is neatly organized into subsections for different types of divine curses sapping and damaging America and its people, its culture and economic well-being: God's curses on individuals; God's `curse on America'; "The Curse on The Home"; "The Curse against People" (Americans generally); "The Curses of The Cities"; "The Economic Curse"; "The Curse of The Plagues"; "The Curse of Servitude".

What the hell is Johnny McCain thinking? He should have put this drooling banjo back into the out-of-tune loon-locker the instant he popped out of it. As it is, I think that we just might name-change him from "Hagee" to "Albatross."

I will be so glad when this fucking election is finally over and I can get back to my comfortable routine of venomous criticisms & sarcasms viciously aimed at incumbents, both old & new, & indeed, even some I voted for.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Mycroft
Skeptic Friend

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2008 :  22:52:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mycroft a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthyWhat the hell is Johnny McCain thinking? He should have put this drooling banjo back into the out-of-tune loon-locker the instant he popped out of it.

Yeah he should, but then it's not as though McCain was a member of this guy's congregation for 20 years or this guy officiated at McCain's wedding.

I guess the poo on your guy doesn't stink so bad if you can find a similar spot on someone across the aisle.

I just may end up voting for Obama, but I'm not going to pretend that his association with Wright isn't a real issue, or that it's neutralized by some fabricated equivalence.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2008 :  23:55:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Mycroft
I just may end up voting for Obama, but I'm not going to pretend that his association with Wright isn't a real issue, or that it's neutralized by some fabricated equivalence.
Considering you're the one who brought up Obama's pastor in a thread about McCain, it's pretty rich that you're calling the comparison unapt.

But if you'd like to comment on Pastor Wright, there is a thread here. I'd be interested in hearing what you find so indefensible about Wright's comments.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 05/05/2008 00:43:21
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  10:18:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mycroft.....

Yeah he should, but then it's not as though McCain was a member of this guy's congregation for 20 years or this guy officiated at McCain's wedding.
Mycroft, as a member in standing of the Diogenes Club, and a fraternal relative of alleged superior intellect to the legendary master of überdeductive and inductive reasoning; has it occurred to you that Obama has been an ambitious black politician for more than 20 years?

And that black church credentials have been essential to upward political movement in the black community for many years, witness the Reverend Jesse Jackson, the Reverend Al Sharpton, the Reverend Martin Luther King, and many more!

Obama is no more persuaded by the wrong rantings of Wright than you or I am. In fact, I would wager what remains of my once macroorchidic sinistral testis that Obama is an atheist, or at the very least a thoughtful agnostic. He is first and foremost a professional politician which, of necessitity, entails catering to that faction which is most likely to promote and abet his political ambitions.

This is, of course, a good thing; because in America you cannot be elected unless you are in fact an accomplished professional politician. The hope with Obama is that, once elected, he will transcend his political reflexes and attempt to govern this country as a purposive leader instead as a mindless puppet-slave of the special-interest political cadre that accomplished his nomination - as in the despicable spectacle that we have had with the eight year long Cheney-Bush fellatio fest with mega-commerce and the obscenely rich power brokers of the Republican Party - to say nothing of the insane Religious Right as personified by that bloated bag of fetid feculence, the Reverend Hagee!

I know Obama to be a highly intelligent rational idealist, and I strongly believe that he will be much more of a purpose-driven President than a purile political hack constantly catering to political expediency such as we have had with the Cheney presidency.

I am working diligently with both my money and my personal efforts here in the reddest part of the reddest state in the US - Idaho - to garner support for Obama and Democratic Congessional candidates running in this incredibly primitive area, where the Lumberjack mentality puts the Redneck southern ethos to shame as far as retarded political vision is concerned. These people are, for the most part, rabid right-wing Republican religionists who hate Wright because he is "a n-----" but love his rancid rhetoric because they can portray him as anti-american and tar Obama with the same brush.

We (myself and a handful of liberals) are doing as much as we can to destroy this flag-burning message as it affects the the small Independent vote up here, but it is an uphill battle!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  13:07:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find it darkly amusing that Obama's Jeremiah Wright is causing such a stir when McCain has a 'spiritual advisor' the likes of Rod Parsley and the support of Hagee. Here we have two sanctimonious assholes that make Wright look like just another motor-mouth gibbering of God & Jesus from behind a pulpet, with a few asinine, political remarks on the side.

The link theorizes that because they are white, the news(?) organizations are afraid to take them on because it might make them look "anti-Christian." The link just might have a point there.

"What separates all of these outrageous preachers from Barack Obama's? You guessed it. They're white and Reverend Jeremiah Wright is not. If it's not racism that's causing the disparity in media treatment of these preachers, then what is it?

I'm willing to listen to other possible explanations. And I am inclined to believe that the people these preachers go after are more important than the race of the preacher. It's one thing to go after gays, liberals and Muslims - that seems to be perfectly acceptable in America - it's another to accuse white folks of not living up to their ideals.

I think there is another factor at play as well. The media is deathly afraid of calling out preachers of any stripe for insane propaganda from the pulpits for fear that they will be labeled as anti-Christian. But criticism of Rev. Wright falls into their comfort zone. It's easy to blame him for being anti-American because he criticizes American foreign and domestic policy.

If Rev. Wright had preached about discriminating against gay Americans or Muslims, there probably would not have been any outcry at all. That falls into the category of "respect their hateful opinions because they cloak themselves in the church."

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.