Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Orwellingly Yurz
SFN Regular

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2008 :  21:47:23  Show Profile Send Orwellingly Yurz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
YO: In researching info about a documentary to air soon on the IFC Channel, I ran into these statistics....

In 2006, 91% of all known executions took place in six countries:

China 1,010
Iran 177
Pakistan 82
Iraq 65+
Sudan 65+
USA 53 (Interesting list)

America and Japan are the only post-industrial nations that now impose the death penalty. OY!

These statistics are according to the Death Penalty Information Center. Google DPIC to find the site.

"The modern conservative...is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy. That is the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
--John Kenneth Galbraith

If dogs run free
Then what must be,
Must be...
And that is all
--Bob Dylan

The neo-cons have gotten welfare for themselves down to a fine art.
--me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, but not the mineral rights."
--J. Paul Getty

"The great thing about Art isn't what it give us, but what we become through it."
--Oscar Wilde

"We have Art in order not to die of life."
--Albert Camus

"I cling like a miser to the freedom I lose when surrounded by an abundance of things."
--Albert Camus

"Experience is the name so many people give to their mistakes."
--Oscar Wilde

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2008 :  04:50:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
<sarcasm>Wow, something Americans can be proud of...</sarcasm>

Ok, I know practically all members of SFN are against the death penalty. I see death penalty as a symptom that there is something wrong with the mindset of the general population.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2008 :  07:20:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those who so ardently support the death penalty here are the same ones who think abortion and stem cell research are murder, and who oppose assisted suicide for the terminally ill, and who try to force the families of brain dead patients to force-feed them against their will and against the wishes of the brain-dead person.

So there is no way to reason with them, they can't be influenced by a rational argument.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2008 :  07:23:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

<sarcasm>Wow, something Americans can be proud of...</sarcasm>

Ok, I know practically all members of SFN are against the death penalty. I see death penalty as a symptom that there is something wrong with the mindset of the general population.

Read your history, Doc. Historically, we are the ones with the fucked-up mindset.

The only thing less likely than the second coming of the Christ is universal enlightenment.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2008 :  12:06:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy
Read your history, Doc. Historically, we are the ones with the fucked-up mindset.

Sweden performed its last and final execution 1910. There was a death sentence in 1917, but the inmate committed suicide shortly after the verdict, before the execution could be carried out. Capital punishment was abolished in 1921.
It puts Sweden ahead of the norm for Europe, but not the first. Norway was earlier, but botched its record with post-WW2 military crime executions.

The only thing less likely than the second coming of the Christ is universal enlightenment.

The cynic in me agrees with you, while the optimist still believe that America isn't a lost cause.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2008 :  18:38:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
China 1,010
Iran 177
Pakistan 82
Iraq 65+
Sudan 65+
USA 53 (Interesting list)

Now that the supreme court has ruled that lethal injection isn't 'cruel and unusual punisment', Texas alone might just move up to number 3. They have had a lot of prisoners backed up on death row ever since the defacto ban on lethal injections.

I sometimes am embarassed to be an American.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Mycroft
Skeptic Friend

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2008 :  23:15:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mycroft a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude
Those who so ardently support the death penalty here are the same ones who think abortion and stem cell research are murder, and who oppose assisted suicide for the terminally ill, and who try to force the families of brain dead patients to force-feed them against their will and against the wishes of the brain-dead person.

So there is no way to reason with them, they can't be influenced by a rational argument.

I'm okay with the death penalty. I don't think what happens to the Jeffrey Dahmers of the world is an important civil rights issue. I think there really are some things you can do to forfeit the protections of a civil society.

I don't think abortion is murder. I would never restrict a woman's legal access to a safe abortion. At the same time on a personal level, I believe human life, even if it's just potential human life, deserves respect. I believe the decision to have an abortion should never be made lightly.

I'm fine with stem cell research. In fact, I encourage it. If knowledge can be gained and new treatments developed, I'm all for that!

I'm a little uncomfortable with assisted suicide, but I can see both sides. I believe no one should be made to suffer needlessly, but I also see great potential for abuse.

No, I don't think brain-dead people should be kept alive. I would cheerfully have pulled the plug myself on Terry Schiavo.

I guess I don't quite fit in your box, eh?

Edited to add:

I am an American. Even when I disagree with the policies of my government, object to the practices of my culture or remember the wrongs of our past, I will never feel shamed or embarrassed at being an American.
Edited by - Mycroft on 05/04/2008 23:19:57
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  03:11:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Mycroft

Originally posted by Dude

I'm okay with the death penalty. I don't think what happens to the Jeffrey Dahmers of the world is an important civil rights issue. I think there really are some things you can do to forfeit the protections of a civil society.

I don't think abortion is murder. I would never restrict a woman's legal access to a safe abortion. At the same time on a personal level, I believe human life, even if it's just potential human life, deserves respect. I believe the decision to have an abortion should never be made lightly.

I'm fine with stem cell research. In fact, I encourage it. If knowledge can be gained and new treatments developed, I'm all for that!

I'm a little uncomfortable with assisted suicide, but I can see both sides. I believe no one should be made to suffer needlessly, but I also see great potential for abuse.

No, I don't think brain-dead people should be kept alive. I would cheerfully have pulled the plug myself on Terry Schiavo.

Edited to add:

I am an American. Even when I disagree with the policies of my government, object to the practices of my culture or remember the wrongs of our past, I will never feel shamed or embarrassed at being an American.
What's so far out of the box about that?

Erm, except for Dahmer; he wasn't sentenced to death but was murdered in prison. Which sort of amounts to the same thing, really.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  06:15:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Mycroft

I'm okay with the death penalty.
That makes you an ardent supporter?
Everyone who doesn't support the death penalty ardently failed to fit in that little box.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  08:03:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mycroft said:

Yeah, but you are "ok with the death penalty". Do you lobby your legislators to make sure the death penalty stays on the books? Do you attend a church where they preach about how wonderful it is to kill people for their crimes? ....

But even so, a rational person should be opposed to the death penalty based on one simple thing:
There are clearly people in prison for crimes they had nothing to do with. The conclusion is that we have likely killed innocent people.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  08:06:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doctor Mabuse......

Mabuse, would you mind laying out in a few dozen paragraphs exactly what your Critically-Thought-Out, logically defensible, reasons are for unconditionally opposing the death penalty?

Also, I would really be interested in hearing a precise definition of exactly what you consider to be the "general population" of the United States.

Dude referred to
Those who so ardently support the death penalty here
and I am not referring to those shallow thinking individuals. You used the word general, and that is what caught my eye - along with your comment about America apparently being a lost cause.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  08:38:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Buck, no cause is ever lost if there is at least one soul to fight in it's favor. That soul might be misguided, stupid or insane, and probably all three, but the cause lives on blessed in it's futility.

I am opposed to the death penalty largely on the grounds that Dude stated. I've read that there's another angle to it as well: due largely to the appeals process, it costs more to execute someone than it would to lock him up for life.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  09:30:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
mycroft wrote:
As said by others - most of those on death row or who have been executed in the USA, and certainly most of those executed in China, were not the Jeffrey Dahmers of the world. The death penalty is wrong not because all human life is sacred, but because human legal systems are thus far inherently flawed, and the potential for killing an innocent is too great.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 05/05/2008 09:30:22
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  10:31:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Marf.....

The death penalty is wrong not because all human life is sacred, but because human legal systems are thus far inherently flawed, and the potential for killing an innocent is too great.
How great, Marf? Statistically over a good long time window? How many innocent, or possibly innocent accused perpetrators of capital crimes have been erroneously executed?
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  11:11:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Filthy.....

I am opposed to the death penalty largely on the grounds that Dude stated. I've read that there's another angle to it as well: due largely to the appeals process, it costs more to execute someone than it would to lock him up for life.
Filthy, I have read the same thing several times in several places. I have not yet seen the evidence for such a statement. It may well be true, I know not. Do you know of any statistical or actuarial evidence for the position that it costs more to condemn, sentence, imprison over years of endless appeals and finally perhaps execute a condemned person than it does to imprison them for life?

I have been trying for a long time to formulate a personal philosophy concerning capital punishment that makes sense to me, and facts as to the relative costs to the state concerning incarceration versus execution are one of the many factors involved in formulating such a ethic.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  11:39:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about the fact that the death penalty is wrong because it does nothing to deter crime or rehabilitate criminals? Our justice system is allegedly not based upon retribution.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.