Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2008 :  22:10:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ricky.....

You jump into a thread about push ups and instead talk about eating each other and making babies. And of course this is done all whilst calling out specific members of the forum in a provocative way. That is trollish behavior, to say the least.
Yeah, no one ever breaks the thread on SFN! Terrible transgression!

And "calling out"? Calling out who? and for what? For Christ's sake, it sounds like an epidemic of anal sphincter constrictive disease!

Troll, Schmoll! If everyone that ever changed subject or jabbed another member here on SFN was a troll, the whole damn Network would be buried deep in the mountains of Scandinavia!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2008 :  22:17:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

...censorship...
What Kil said is "censorship" just like not having a letter-to-the-editor printed in a newspaper is "censorship" (for which "justification" is never offered, so far as I know). But your words are still there for everyone to see, and you could continue your joking around elsewhere. When compared to cases such as the government suppressing its own research for political reasons, your crying "censorship" for being called boring and told to cut out the boringness really lowers the "censorship" bar to nearly nothing.

I expect that the next time someone tells some creationist quote-miner to quit lying, you'll be right there shouting "censorship" since the direct intent will be to prevent the expression of certain ideas. Or is it just going to be "censorship" of your own alleged witticisms that concerns you?

Of course, what's amusing is your apparent assumption that Kil's reason for red-texting you is hypersensitivity to your rather bland homoeroticism, when what I (and apparently Ricky) see is a bunch of childish taunts. Looks like Dude isn't really rising to your bait (looks to me like he's bored of you, by the way), and H. is absent.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2008 :  22:24:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Kil, I know you're the BIG BOSS and all that shit, but I really think there's more than a little bit of a power trip going on here!

You're mostly correct here. I am one of the big bosses. And as such I do not feel inclined to play games with you Bill. My sandbox, my rules. Take it or leave it…

No trips though. But you aren't going to believe that so, whatever...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2008 :  22:44:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

...trollish behavior...

Troll, Schmoll! If everyone that ever changed subject or jabbed another member here on SFN was a troll, the whole damn Network would be buried deep in the mountains of Scandinavia!
Hmmm... Astronaut, Schmastronaut! If everyone that ever wore a helmet or whose feet had left the ground were an astronaut, the whole damn country would be on NASA's payroll!

I think this is important. When examining a person who has been labeled based upon the presence of a collection of properties, it is of course valid to use that same label for anyone with even a minor analog of a single one of those properties.

Thus, everyone with an opinion of the law is a Senator. Everyone who has touched trash is a garbageman. Everyone who has used a Band-Aid is a paramedic. And, of course, everyone who has changed the subject or verbally sparred is a troll.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2008 :  10:33:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To get back on-topic, I have wondered about those, CoA since I've seen them at my local sporting goods store. I didn't buy them but did pony up a few bucks for some of those hexagonal dumb bells. Ultimately, though, I wasn't getting that much out of them. Thus, a few months ago, I broke down and got a real gym membership.

I never thought I'd say it, but I'm happy with the results so far-- much happier, I think, than I'd gotten those perfect push-up things that I'd probably never use!
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2008 :  11:59:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is noted, however, that he "once permitted himself to be seduced" in the liaison which produced his secret daughter.

DUNE SPOILERS
Actually it is the duty of royalty to submit to the Bene Gesserit breeding program (insemination is out of the question). Prior to this encounter, the Baron was a fine specimine, but his distaste for the BG made him preform the act in an unpleasant Harkonnenesque manner. As revenge for this insult Helen Mohiam used her internal abilties as Reverend Mother to manipulate a particular toxin to infect the Baron during intercourse. This disease then caused his physical downfall into obesity and pus-baggery. (leading to his donning of an Ixian suspensor belt)

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2008 :  12:00:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Ricky.....

You jump into a thread about push ups and instead talk about eating each other and making babies. And of course this is done all whilst calling out specific members of the forum in a provocative way. That is trollish behavior, to say the least.
Yeah, no one ever breaks the thread on SFN! Terrible transgression!

And "calling out"? Calling out who? and for what? For Christ's sake, it sounds like an epidemic of anal sphincter constrictive disease!

Harumph! We takes our bridge guardin' seriously round 'ere

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2008 :  15:18:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave.....

Sorry, I just found my way back to this stale topic after a busy few days. You said, in altogether properly submissive deference to your boss:
What Kil said is "censorship" just like not having a letter-to-the-editor printed in a newspaper is "censorship" (for which "justification" is never offered, so far as I know).
No, only if the letter writer is banned, or threatened to be banned from ever expressing on that publication for stating an opinion that is not shared by the editor! Kil does not only "censor", he also implicatively threatens "banning" if his edicts are not followed. Arguably, this attitude is inalienable, because he is the owner of the site. This is certainly not surprising to me, although I have been an entrepeneur most of my life, I am quite aware of the perogatives of bosses, from both sides of the desk!

Kil's reasons for banning homoerotica, nudity, "offensive" images and other controversial material are certainly based on substantive concerns about losing viewership because of material perceived as offensive by some readers. It is remarkably unusual to see his liberal policy allowing free exposition of scatological terms and four-letter words alongside a near-Puritanical stance on issues of sexuality and images of "dirty" body parts. It is my guess that Kil is a complex individual (as aren't we all?) and the reasoning is part business and part personal - hence my comment on "more than a little bit of a power trip going on here!"
Of course, what's amusing is your apparent assumption that Kil's reason for red-texting you is hypersensitivity to your rather bland homoeroticism, when what I (and apparently Ricky) see is a bunch of childish taunts. Looks like Dude isn't really rising to your bait (looks to me like he's bored of you, by the way), and H. is absent.
Well, I am always happy when I can amuse, Dave, especially you who does not amuse easily. As to "taunts". absolutely! Childish, no; few children have the maturity to make any but a crude joke about homosexuality. But the "taunt" was intended to amuse Dude, who has a finely developed sense of humor - having told me more than once that he had to laugh at something I'd said at the same time that he was pretty pissed off at me!

Maybe it would behoove both of us to let Dude speak for himself; I have no doubt that he is more than capable of expressing his own opinions!

Now you state that: "your apparent assumption that Kil's reason for red-texting you is hypersensitivity to your rather bland homoeroticism, when what I (and apparently Ricky) see is a bunch of childish taunts." This is ambiguous. Do you mean that you and Ricky and Kil are bitching about a bunch of childish taunts; or that you and Ricky see childish taunts, whereas Kil is complaining about bland homoeroticism? It really does make a difference as to the rationale behind all the red ink! As to Hummer, he doesn't talk to me anymore, nor speak in my presence, so "baiting" him is like throwing out beefsteak to attract birds!
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2008 :  16:07:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
bngbuck, maybe I can make it clear. No one (who has posted in this topic yet) is offended by your homoeroticism. Please get that through your head.

If we had a situation where there were multiple users/posts that were not on topic and served no purpose but a taunt, you're damn right we would resolve the situation, most likely with warnings and possibly suspensions. It disrupts the forum. What I (and I believe Dave and Kil) see is you starting to go down that road. You were told to knock it off, but you weren't even given an official warning.

You have to do a lot to offend us. And even if you do, probably not much will be done. However, when all you're doing is trying to offend us, that is when you'll get the boot.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 05/29/2008 16:08:15
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2008 :  18:21:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ricky.....

What I (and I believe Dave and Kil) see is you starting to go down that road. You were told to knock it off, but you weren't even given an official warning.
I don't know about you and Kil, but the other Mighty Olympian - Dave - says:
I think this is important. When examining a person who has been labeled based upon the presence of a collection of properties, it is of course valid to use that same label for anyone with even a minor analog of a single one of those properties.

Thus, everyone with an opinion of the law is a Senator. Everyone who has touched trash is a garbageman. Everyone who has used a Band-Aid is a paramedic. And, of course, everyone who has changed the subject or verbally sparred is a troll.
Can there be dissension in the Ranks of the Ruling Class? You Leaders of us Weak, Ugly, and Dumb Members should get together on your opinions!
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2008 :  18:27:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kil.....

I am one of the big bosses. And as such I do not feel inclined to play games with you Bill.
Well said, sir! Nothing could be more definitive than that pronouncement, and I thank you for making your position absolutely clear!
Edited by - bngbuck on 05/29/2008 18:30:01
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2008 :  19:11:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Sorry, I just found my way back to this stale topic...
Real pity, that.
No, only if the letter writer is banned, or threatened to be banned from ever expressing on that publication for stating an opinion that is not shared by the editor!
Which didn't happen here, either.
Kil's reasons for banning homoerotica...
Didn't happen. Looks like you just prefer to not address the stated reasons, and instead made up this stuff. Happens all the time to people in your position.
As to "taunts". absolutely! Childish, no; few children have the maturity to make any but a crude joke about homosexuality.
But you made nothing more than crude jokes about homosexuality.
Maybe it would behoove both of us to let Dude speak for himself; I have no doubt that he is more than capable of expressing his own opinions!
I have no doubt of such, either.
This is ambiguous. Do you mean that you and Ricky and Kil are bitching about a bunch of childish taunts; or that you and Ricky see childish taunts, whereas Kil is complaining about bland homoeroticism?
I don't see anyplace that Kil has complained about homoeroticism at all. Why would I suggest that Kil is complaining about something he hasn't complained about?
It really does make a difference as to the rationale behind all the red ink!
Indeed.

You also wrote:
Can there be dissension in the Ranks of the Ruling Class?
Nope, just a regular SFN member who has missed the sarcasm.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2008 :  23:40:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ricky.....

In order for me to behave in a more circumspect manner in the future, I would appreciate your clearing up a little confusion in my understanding of the logistics of SFN
bngbuck, maybe I can make it clear. No one (who has posted in this topic yet) is offended by your homoeroticism. Please get that through your head.
Yassuh, boss!
you're damn right we would resolve the situation, most likely with warnings and possibly suspensions.
Jesus! No!
What I (and Dave and Kil) see is you starting to go down that road.
The Road to Hell!!
You have to do a lot to offend us. However, when all you're doing is trying to offend us, that is when you'll get the boot.
Duly noted!

I deeply regret offending your majesty, as I was unaware that you were part of the ownership/management of SFN. I would appreciate your confirming that status, so that in the future I can avoid any untoward comments that might ruffle your royal feathers.

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2008 :  14:35:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave_W said:

bng said:

Well, as some of you fail to comprehend, Dude isn't "taunt-able". Dude only engages in arguments that are interesting or may prove to be amusing (or when Dude just wants to cuss some retard out).

bng has come to a point where he doesn't even need to be provoked before he slides off into crazy-land... I didn't participate because, well, who the hell would participate in that particular conversation? Not me.

And yes, bng, I do think you are funny! You crack me up man.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2008 :  19:06:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dude is a very model of a modern major liberal, whose wisdom is exceeded only by his irresistable sexiness. When he remembers his medications, the guy is a stand-up gladiator - worthy of facing the best of opponents. Of course he isn't tauntable, he's 127.0.0.1 personified - an untauntable tautology! I'm with ya, man, all the way; and I'll do my damndest to find a topic worth engaging me on! I gotta agree, this Ricky, Dave and Kil dust-up wasn't worth the sand in Kil's sandbox!
bng has come to a point where he doesn't even need to be provoked before he slides off into crazy-land...
Yeah, the voices are getting pretty disturbing and when the shrink starts you on Lexapro with a shot of Chivas chaser, you know reality is retreating. I'm really glad you didn't show up in that last waltz, you and Ricky dukeing it out would not be a pretty sight! There would have been blood! Young blood!
And yes, bng, I do think you are funny! You crack me up man.
Actually, one man's boredom is another man's entertainment! Evidently I put Kil to sleep, inspire ridicule in Dave, and amuse you! Go figure! Anyway, you're a clever contestant and a lot of fun to throw sand at and get it back in the face!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.